You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: What IF Robin Finck has left GNR. Will you still follow GNR?

I happen to love Robin in the band, I saw them 3 times and his stage presence is excellent!   However, I'd still follow GNR and see what the madness brings next.   However, if another year goes by like the majority of this one with nothing, my interest could fade very quickly as this year has been a very trying year with all the silence we've endured.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

If Robin is gone, nothing will change.  He's just another in the long line of interchangeable parts.  For years people have said if Robin or Tommy leaves, it's over or they won't support GnR any more.  It's all a bunch of crap for the most part.  I can't even fathom the thought of a GnR album without Slash, but despite the fact that I don't like a lot of decisions Axl has made, I'm still hanging around to see what he can come up with.  The fact is that almost nobody is a fan of the band because of Robin - they may have become a fan of Robin because of the band, but not very many became fans of the band because Robin joined. 

GnR should have died when Slash left and it didn't - there's no way in hell it's going to die when someone who hasn't even appeared on an album yet leaves.  It's not going to happen.  As long as Axl holds the rights to the name, the band will continue to exist in some form or another and people will for the most part always be interested every few years when he surfaces regardless of who surrounds him.

supaplex
 Rep: 57 

supaplex wrote:
russtcb wrote:

But it's just like when Slash left for me. I've grown to see Robin as GNR lead guitarist. I can't see anyone else do it. BUT just as Robin eventually grew on me, perhaps someone else will.

i completely agree. this is why i said i'd be here no matter what. people got over anybody in this band. this is just another one of those times

DoubleTalkingJive wrote:

However, if another year goes by like the majority of this one with nothing, my interest could fade very quickly as this year has been a very trying year with all the silence we've endured.

don't we all say the same thing since 2002 or something 16

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

He's just another in the long line of interchangeable parts.  For years people have said if Robin or Tommy leaves, it's over or they won't support GnR any more.

This album has been created by Axl, Finck Stinson etc. To start touring your comeback album with 50% of the band gone since 2001 is a disaster. To tour the friggin album without your main guitarist is fucked up. What about if Slash quite before AFD came out eh? But was still on the record? It's a financial disaster.

However, Axl's been thru so much crap Im sure he can find someone else to play the parts to Robin who played the parts to Slash. Im sure the new guy will copy Robin's work to the max and people will say "shit this guy is good, he copies Slash's, Bucketheads, Izzy's, and Robin's guitars to brilliance! What a guy!

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:
DCK wrote:

To tour the friggin album without your main guitarist is fucked up.

See the AFD tours for the past 5 years as proof of that.

I'm not saying I like it, I'm just saying that's how it is and how it's been.  It's a joke, it's been a joke, but only now people are finally starting to realize it.  I've been mocked for several years for saying that this isn't really a band and hasn't been since 1994.  I knew that once Robin or Tommy bailed that I'd be proven right, but for some reason I don't feel better.  I'm sure people assume I'm ecstatic because of all of this, but I'm really not.  My heart was hoping I was wrong, but my head knew I wasn't. 

I wanted CD out.  I wanted it out years ago hoping that Axl could get his project out of his system and get back to his rock band and Guns could continue the way it was meant to be.  That's how it should have happened, but now it's too late.  At their age, no matter what happens (reunion or CD release) going forward, it will be a nostolgia act.  CD could be the greatest piece of music ever invented (lol) and it wouldn't have a major impact on the music scene today.  It would be like the Eagles - it would get some play and fade away into nothingness.  The diehards would still support them and obviously a reunion would be significantly bigger than a CD release, but again, only as a nostolgia act.  It's over.  We can still love them, but there will be no Guns N' Roses changing the face of music in any form.  That is why it really doesn't matter what musicians Axl hires going forward.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

That is not the same. That tour was done 15 years after the release of the album, not 1 month after the release of the album which might happen in this case.

You got the nostalgia factor, the PR factor, the money factor and the comeback factor.

Touring a new album without the proper band members is just loose money factor.

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:
DCK wrote:

That is not the same. That tour was done 15 years after the release of the album, not 1 month after the release of the album which might happen in this case.

You got the nostalgia factor, the PR factor, the money factor and the comeback factor.

Touring a new album without the proper band members is just loose money factor.

It may not be the same, but it's not as different as you think.  A band that isn't Guns N' Roses touring around the world as though it is Guns N' Roses because one person was smart enough to take control of the name isn't much different than that same band that isn't Guns N' Roses touring as Guns N' Roses to support an album that was 15 years in the making and SEVERAL of the people who contributed are no longer associated with the band.  It's all fucked up, thus far more similar than you want to give it credit for.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

I would give up all hope of CD coming out in the traditional sense. But I'd still pay attention for leaks or a re-union.

OR if Axl proclaimed CD a solo project, I'd still watch it closely. Otherwise all respectability is lost.

Board footer