You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Weiland on the howard stern show

James wrote:
Communist China wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

I've been saying it for years. Cornell will NEVER join VR, and I'll wager any amount of money on it.

I used to agree and still see it as an improbability, but I no longer find it impossible. Cornell has worked with many people (Timbaland), done a solo album that sucked recently, and would have total control over lyrics.

I could see him doing it for a studio thing anyways. I don't think he'd do live shows with VR, but I think he would be willing, for the right price, to come in and kick ass on some studio tracks.

He's not going to do it, and it has nothing to do with creative control, songwriting credits,etc. Cornell loathed the type of GNR rock, and just because he toured with GNR and Axl lists him as a huge influence means squat when it comes to being asked to join whats pretty much a slight alteration of a GNR lineup.

Any sessions a Cornell fronted VR would come up with would be a fucking mess. Pick anything from Slash, Duff, and Matt's discography and compare it to everything Cornell has done.

It wouldn't work. I can imagine Cornell coming up with something like My Wave and Slash lighting a cigarette and recording a Yesterdays type solo on it.

Cornell would puke, and then immediately leave the room.

Its not happening.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I have to disagree with you there. I agree it won't happen, but Chris is more apt to write Yesterdays than My Wave today. Chris' songwriting has completely changed as wel. It's much more formulated and structured than it used to. Plus, he's not writing anything close to what he did in his Soundgarden days. And a lot of ways, he's not the same person.

I never would have thought in a million years I would see Chris Cornell making an album with Timbaland, but he is. Or that he would make a "light adult contemparary" album, which is what his last solo record was, but he did. Also, if you compare No Such Thing, it is very similar to Slither. So at this point I think it would have less to do with musical styles than it would with the business end.

James

James wrote:
misterID wrote:

I have to disagree with you there. I agree it won't happen, but Chris is more apt to write Yesterdays than My Wave today. Chris' songwriting has completely changed as wel. It's much more formulated and structured than it used to. Plus, he's not writing anything close to what he did in his Soundgarden days. And a lot of ways, he's not the same person.

I never would have thought in a million years I would see Chris Cornell making an album with Timbaland, but he is. Or that he would make a "light adult contemparary" album, which is what his last solo record was, but he did. Also, if you compare No Such Thing, it is very similar to Slither. So at this point I think it would have less to do with musical styles than it would with the business end.

Cornell has a wide range talent wise, and is in a league of his own lyrically. While he might not do My Wave today, whatever it is he puts to paper isn't going to gel with anything Slash and co. are going to bring to the table.

Doing a collaboration with Timbaland is moving forward. Attempting a record with remnants of 91 era GNR and a scab would be a step backwards musically and him going against values he has consistently had regarding the culture of music.

He will never be in VR.

Tommie
 Rep: 67 

Tommie wrote:

Ok so I listen to stern at work usually, but I'm usually a few days late b/c I record the shows and put them on my ipod.  So yesterday I was listening to Thursdays show.  Howard was reading some email and he made the comment of "alot of the people, almost 100 percent hated scott weiland yesterday.  They said he was rambling and self indulgent."

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
Communist China wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

I've been saying it for years. Cornell will NEVER join VR, and I'll wager any amount of money on it.

I used to agree and still see it as an improbability, but I no longer find it impossible. Cornell has worked with many people (Timbaland), done a solo album that sucked recently, and would have total control over lyrics.

I could see him doing it for a studio thing anyways. I don't think he'd do live shows with VR, but I think he would be willing, for the right price, to come in and kick ass on some studio tracks.

He's not going to do it, and it has nothing to do with creative control, songwriting credits,etc. Cornell loathed the type of GNR rock, and just because he toured with GNR and Axl lists him as a huge influence means squat when it comes to being asked to join whats pretty much a slight alteration of a GNR lineup.

Any sessions a Cornell fronted VR would come up with would be a fucking mess. Pick anything from Slash, Duff, and Matt's discography and compare it to everything Cornell has done.

It wouldn't work. I can imagine Cornell coming up with something like My Wave and Slash lighting a cigarette and recording a Yesterdays type solo on it.

Cornell would puke, and then immediately leave the room.

Its not happening.

Karma for that.

I would hate to see Slash get his hands on any Cornell song, because he would instantly tear it to shreds.  I don't even want to imagine Slash butchering Soundgarden songs in concert.  :sick:

It'll never happen.  And even though Cornell is one of the best vocalists of all time, it wouldn't be a good match.  He needs musicians who are at his level musically and who gel with his type of writing.  Slash, Duff, and Matt aren't those guys.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
Saikin wrote:

I would hate to see Slash get his hands on any Cornell song, because he would instantly tear it to shreds.  I don't even want to imagine Slash butchering Soundgarden songs in concert.  :sick:

It'll never happen.  And even though Cornell is one of the best vocalists of all time, it wouldn't be a good match.  He needs musicians who are at his level musically and who gel with his type of writing.  Slash, Duff, and Matt aren't those guys.

I respect your opinion, but I disagree with almost everything you said. BTW different styles can work quite well in a band, just remember the classic Guns N' Roses. 22

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Umm...if the guys from Rage Against the Machine were at Cornell's level musically then I think Slash and Duff have it covered. I dig rage..some cool riffs and stuff, but Slash can play guitar a LOT better than anyone in that band.

James

James wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:
Saikin wrote:

I respect your opinion, but I disagree with almost everything you said. BTW different styles can work quite well in a band, just remember the classic Guns N' Roses. 22

Sure different styles can work. However, Cornell is very serious when it comes to his lyrics, and the VR guys are more happy go lucky rock with some  cheesy ballads. If Cornell brought ideas similar to what was recorded on Superunknown, Slash, Duff, Matt, and Dave would just stand there with a befuddled look on their faces.

They bring nothing to Cornell's table.

James

James wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Umm...if the guys from Rage Against the Machine were at Cornell's level musically then I think Slash and Duff have it covered. I dig rage..some cool riffs and stuff, but Slash can play guitar a LOT better than anyone in that band.

It has nothing to do with Slash being "better" than anybody else. Its whether he can walk in and play at a level and standard that Cornell requires, and the answer is no.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

yeah rage is pretty serious with their songs...if fact they were too serious for Cornell as he pretty much told them to ease up or audioslave wouldnt have happened in the first place

Board footer