You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Weiland on the howard stern show

James wrote:

One more thing regarding Cornell/VR, material such as this would likely sound like a Cornell fronted VR.

Soundgarden- No Attention
Soundgarden- Dusty
Soundgarden- Never Named
Soundgarden- Pretty Noose
Soundgarden- Rhinosaur
Soundgarden- Kickstand

Since VR and Cornell are known to do some covers, we could get something like Zep's Communication Breakdown(Cornell used to perform it live).

In other words, a weak album with Cornell reaching down to his lowest common denominator.

If you aren't familiar with Soundgarden or do not have all their albums, download the tracks I just listed. Thats as close to VR territory as Cornell would ever get.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:
Saikin wrote:

I would hate to see Slash get his hands on any Cornell song, because he would instantly tear it to shreds.  I don't even want to imagine Slash butchering Soundgarden songs in concert.  :sick:

It'll never happen.  And even though Cornell is one of the best vocalists of all time, it wouldn't be a good match.  He needs musicians who are at his level musically and who gel with his type of writing.  Slash, Duff, and Matt aren't those guys.

I respect your opinion, but I disagree with almost everything you said. BTW different styles can work quite well in a band, just remember the classic Guns N' Roses. 22

Sure different styles can work. However, Cornell is very serious when it comes to his lyrics, and the VR guys are more happy go lucky rock with some  cheesy ballads. If Cornell brought ideas similar to what was recorded on Superunknown, Slash, Duff, Matt, and Dave would just stand there with a befuddled look on their faces.

They bring nothing to Cornell's table.

As far as I know Slash likes cool lyrics. After the pre-UYI problems with GN'R when the band had almost broken up, he said that only two things made him continue: that 'Axl is the best singer on this world and he can write great lyrics'. I know that Slash in not into spending months with writing lyrics for a single song, and he'd choose cock rock lyrics instead of the long wait, but saying that he'd be into cheesy or cock rock lyrics is just not true 19

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

i agree with mikka mostly

i don't know if it would be a good fit for reasons relating to chemistry cause noone can fortell that but, musically speaking, vr/cornell could possibly work.

if you are talking about attitutde. the reasons given for it not to work would also mean that axl wouldn't work with vr - which, obviously it did for three huge albums. if slash and the boys can play with axl they can play with cornell.

axl and cornell, although different the way they sing and write lyrics, are both very serious with the way they approach their art and are two of the greatest rock singers of our time.

if you are talking technique. based on released material slash could outplay kim thayil any day of the week and if anything, the band's tempo would need to drop to accomidate cornell's laid back vocal style.

just because you cannot picture it happening does not mean that it wouldn't work.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

A majority of Audioslave "Revelations" album could have been made by VR, just on song standards. The title track especially. "Until We Fall" as a cheesy ballad, would fit prefectly on a VR album.

I can't compare Soundgarden with VR because its like comparing apples to oranges. They weren't even in the same universe. I've been a Chris Cornell fan since Loud Love, followed him closer than any artist out there. And I can tell you he can take on any musical genre and meld into it seemlessly. Check out Euphoria Morning and compare it to Soundgarden.

Would they fit musically? Who knows. But Chris can adapt to anything. He wrote a song for Alice Cooper when he was at his hair metal cheesiest and made it work. Then he wrote a piano driven song that was straight out of a Ray Charles album. He turned Killing In The Name Of from a rap song to a rock song.
I'm not arguing that he has any interest in joining them, or that he wouldn't laugh at the idea, I'm saying he, among anyone in rock, could make it work if he wanted it to. If he did I can promise you it wouldn't sound anything like Contraband or Libertad.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
war wrote:

slash could outplay kim thayil any day of the week

14 Oh man. I have no idea how I missed that when you posted it.

Slash cant even play Big Dumb Sex properly, so how in the fuck is he ever gonna "outplay" Thayil on anything?

Jesus.....

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Thayil is great, ashame he never got in on a "Supergroup". Slash is great also, but I think he needs a good rhythym guitarist to create the song, then he's the best at leading it, in a way where he takes that tune and runs with it. Playing lead solo's, scales etc. Case in point look at Libertads first single, SBQM. The guitar riff, while Soundgardenesque, was kinda weak. Now Thayill and Slash in VR would have been badass. Maybe that's what they were missing.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

you 2 have problems.... 18 I'm with war 21

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:
Neemo wrote:

In what way, do you not like Thayill, or just not like Thayill in any Slash/VR talk or comparisons?

Soundgarden and esp early Soundgarden was awesome!! 22

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
PaSnow wrote:
Neemo wrote:

In what way, do you not like Thayill, or just not like Thayill in any Slash/VR talk or comparisons?

Soundgarden and esp early Soundgarden was awesome!! 22

I'm not a SG fan at all..and they are so not similar to each other at all.....even so Thayill is not anywhere close to being in Slash's league IMO ... sorry..

the best guitarist to come out of grunge era is cantrell...Cantrell is great, but even he isnt as good as Slash

early SG is just noise IMO ... its way to unrefined for my tastes

I just dont think you can compare the two by any means....just my opinion of course

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:

Rusty Cage & Outshined are classics. Let alone Superunknown. I like early SG also, songs like Gun & Full on Kev's Mom. Sure it's garage band sounding, but it was real. Like why I like Nirvana's Bleach so much.

Board footer