You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: New McCain Speech acknowledges Obama as DNC nominee

James wrote:

Another good example is the Somalia fiasco. We sent troops and aid in there, got our asses kicked(not the military's fault), and had to run with our tail between our legs. Now, the Somalia chicken is about to come home to roost.

Don't be surprised if this becomes an issue like it did in 1992. The situation there is even worse now.

You're right though, tossing blank checks to enemies isn't the answer. However, invading countries isn't the answer either. Invasions should only happen when either american interests are in grave danger, or there is some major humanitarian crisis or some sort of "ethnic cleansing" is going on.

The cold war should have ended the era where we give handouts to the world.

I wouldn't call the Bush wars "leading". He had carte blanche after 9/11, and squandered that by going to Iraq. He could have seriously went on the offensive in the war on terror and put the US on many battlefields(which would have been justified).

While the economy is going down the tubes and will be an election issue, McCain really needs to map out his foreign policy vision and hammer it home with the american people.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

so on one hand we have obama who doesnt know shit about military....and on the other we have mccain who doesnt know shit about economics

a couple awesome candidates for the next president considering those are the 2 biggest issues at the moment....maybe they can share the duties 16

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

McCain gains the edge though, because we are in two wars simultaneously. Economy sucks, but the country isn't likely to hand over the reigns to someone who could easily turn both into Vietnams or ignite WWIII.

If another crisis happens between now and November( a possibility), Obama should just drop out.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

I believe the President's most important duty is serving as Command in Chief

I agree. Most elections come down to this. If the american people don't think you are worthy of being in control of the greatest military on the planet, you don't become president.

Not only do the american people have to trust a candidate to protect this country at all costs, but they also have to believe that candidate will "push the button" during crunch time.

Tell that to George H Bush, who lost to a what the Republicans labeled during primary season a "pot smoking draft dodger". 8 years later, the GOP elects a "pot smoking draft dodger". 22   Way to stick to their morals.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

Neemo,

The President doesn't have to be an expert on the economy as managing the economy isn't his job, managing the military is.

Pasnow,
Clinton didn't win in 92, Bush lost.  I'm not saying Clinton was a bad President, although he was a horrible CiC and did great harm to the military in terms of numbers and pay.  Clinton won in 92 because Ross Perot got almost 20% of the vote and stripped many votes from Bush.  Nader got 3% in 2000 and Democrats claim he stole it from Gore.  Bush barely lost in 92 and had an opponent that took alot more than 3% of his voting base.  Clinton didn't win half of the popular vote, which is something people should remember when they attack Bush for 2000. 

Edit:  And Bush wasn't a draft dodger.  He served his time, honroably in the guard.  I know people have tried to claim otherwise, but we saw what happened when Dan Rather ran his bogus report.  You can attack people who serve in the reserves and guard if you want, although I wouldn't advise it as they still do their part and do what 99% of the rest of the country won't  Kerry may have been on active duty in Vietnam, but he was a coward who served only a month and got out of country for what literally amounted to scratches and "used the system" against his peers and commanders wishes to get out.  Gore served in Vietnam too with a personal body guard at his side.  I'm not going to attack anyone's specialty in the military, but I find it a damn shame that military srervice seems to be the exception among our politicians and leaders anymore rather than the norm.  If these so called patriots really cared about service to their country, they could at least serve for a few years after college before embarking on their political careers.  That attitude of those like Romney who think simply being active in politcis is equal to the service of military members or those who claim they support their country by going to college make me sick.  I'm in no way saying only people who were in the military can be patriots or serve their country, but when you reap personal gain for all of your actions with no real risk, I find it hard to label that as service to country.

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

Neemo,

Clinton didn't win half of the popular vote, which is something people should remember when they attack Bush for 2000.

The difference in that is Al Gore actually won the popular vote. So did Clinton, just that Clinton didn't get 50%, not many Presidents do. But the 2000 election was a wierd anomaly where a candidate gets the most votes, but loses due to the Electoral College system. I'm not whining about it, the rules are there already & likely always will be. I think it only happened once or twice before.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

I want out of the war. Plain and simple. And before you call me a coward or someone who doesn't care about Iraq, I'll be honest, I don't give a shit about whether or not they can vote. If they want freedom, they can choose it. Let us get the hell out.

McCain will escalate or keep us in, he will drive our debt up, and he doesn't know the difference between Sunni and Shia.

Besides, who cares if you can win a war when you don't understand the social reasons that cause the distrubance? I'll take someone with an open ear and open mind over a militarist any day.

I expect a close election, and a lot can happen from now until November. McCain could even die of old age.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

It's not that simple CC.  the cost of leaving now would be more than the cost of staying until a plan could be put in place for withdrawl.  We're stuck there for now.  I don't like it, but I don't like what could happen if we just leave even more.

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:

But that's why this country should have a "plan for withdrawal", not just a "withdrawal". Setting up say 1-2 years to make Iraq {a seperate country from us}, take over governing controls of their own country and insurgents. The American public shouldn't be voting based on Iraq's best interest, we should be voting for what's best for the USA. Those are the core principals of this nation, it was originally intended to seperate ourselves from Britain. Didn't Iraq hold elections something like 5 years ago. I swear it was back in 04 or something.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

Neemo,

The President doesn't have to be an expert on the economy as managing the economy isn't his job, managing the military is.

you could be right...i know abosultey nothing about US politics except what has been explained to me in this section 16

anyway isnt that basically a title? you dont really need to know about military...there are how many generals and admirals and secretaries of defense, the army, the navy and the airforce that all advise him?

also there is congress to aprove a budget or some  crap that the president proposes or something right? but ultimately the pres has the final say....or at least something like that...i think 16

anyway i would think it would be helpful for a presidential hopeful to have knowledge on many matters..a jack of all trades if you will

Board footer