You are not logged in. Please register or login.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

Re: Overall feelings on the CD era songs....

DCK wrote:

Buckethead is not on any form of The Blues that I know of. Didn't he leave the stage in 02 when it was played? The Blues could be written by anyone doesn't mean it's not a great single. You call it too generic to be successful, then call Better too complex?

If it's not BH on that outro solo I must be deaf. It's to me a very clear BHish solo.

The Blues is not good enough. Simple.

And yes, I call The Blues to standard and Better too complex. They are not the same song.

GNR will never again do pure and simple Buckcherryish music. I don't want that either. Hit material can be written in another form anyway.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
DCK wrote:

Buckethead is not on any form of The Blues that I know of. Didn't he leave the stage in 02 when it was played? The Blues could be written by anyone doesn't mean it's not a great single. You call it too generic to be successful, then call Better too complex?

If it's not BH on that outro solo I must be deaf. It's to me a very clear BHish solo.

And yes, I call The Blues to standard and Better too complex. They are not the same song.

GNR will never again do pure and simple Buckcherryish music. I don't want that either. Hit material can be written in another form anyway.

I don't want that either.  Was just saying that, that kind of music can still sell.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

Hmm now Im not so sure its BH afterall on The Blues. Hahahaha

Anyway the solo is good.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:
DCK wrote:

Dude, Buckethead is not on The Blues. If you can't get that right, then I'm not sure how seriously I can take your arguments.

Your opinion is they aren't good enough as singles. I think they are and would do well. I think most of the reaction to Better here when it first leaked was great. And, by the way, the single version of Better would be shorter, more condensed and have a lot of the freakout guitar removed. It's too long to be a traditional single.

By the way, why is your screen name DCK?

And again, where is this mythical incredible Slither riff? Seriously, watch it on YouTube and tell me what time exactly it comes in? I don't hear it? Rhythm guitar isn't a riff. I'm also curious why you'd call it Slash's riff when all the band members have writing credit. I don't want to turn this into a Slither thread, but I think the general consensus here is that most of VR's stuff, including Slither, was thoroughly lackluster. I don't think we need to grade GNR's material on VR's stuff. I don't think it works.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:
bigbri wrote:
Axl S wrote:

Better is a so-so song IMO. When I first heard it I was all over it but now it just really bores and has done for months.

There you go, you just made the point. When you FIRST heard it, you were all over it. That's the idea of a hit single of the moment. Months later, you don't need to be all over it. You gotta get people on the first or second listen. Better succeeds in most instances.

I don't get the love for Slither. I just listened to it again on  YouTube? What riff are we talking about? The one Slash doesn't play that is chugging along the whole song? That's called rhythm guitar. That's not exactly a riff.

The riff during the heys. It's a riff. It's a rhythm guitar based riff but it's still a riff. And it catches you. First time I heard it, I wasn't that into GN'R so I was like "Wow, GN'R without the singing guy but still cool" and the bit that stood out the most and made me like it the most was the bit with the "HEY's" and that riff. It was catchy and it was killer.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
bigbri wrote:

I wanted to love VR when they got together, but they failed me and disappointed me so much, I almost feel like I deserve a personal apology from each and every one of them for ripping me off and making me look like a fool for months before their release when I was telling my friends how it was gonna be the next GNR. Made me look like a fucking know-nothing idiot.

14 Post of the day. You're right though, VR was probably the biggest disappointment in the history of rock.

I cant believe a Bucket fan thought he was playing The Blues. Momentary lapse of sanity, DCK?:haha:

Why is VR being raved on all of a sudden? You guys really think the shit they came up with in three years is better than this material?

If so, pass the crack pipe this way.....

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

You know what's really funny is how some of you say we can't  judge the CD material based on the wait or compare it to old Gn'R yet those same people use words like "Considering the people in Velvet Revolver they were a massive let down" I mean let's consider who's been in Gn'R and this is what we get? Arguebly a more talented band than the original Gn'R and for them to come up with this stuff after 10+ years of working on it is rather sad.  Does anyone else feel the CD era songs are decent for a few days or so and then you gotta burry them on you playlist for months on end to appreciate them again? I do. I can't listen to these songs consitently over long periods of time. I can't leave a disc of CD songs in my car and listen to it for a work week. The songs have no lasting appeal.  And I gotta get this off my chest. For everyone saying Buckethead owns these songs and that he's basically forced the "haters"(who actually hates BH anyways?) to fuck off with this material, please explain to me exactly what you're  hearing that's  so amazing? And please do so in a non condesending way that suggests if we can't hear it we simply don't know what we're talking about. I hear it but it's not mind blowing or even that great to me. Honestly Slash has better solos and guitar work on VR's albums in my opinion. My favorite CD era solo is the last solo on Better and that's Robin so I'm just not getting the Buckethead rules these songs thing.

James I do think the shit VR came up with is better. It's produced better and musically it rocks harder. It's not pretentious in it's attempt to be meaningful. It's not a cluttered mess. It is what it is. CD isn't aything. That's the problem.  I'm not saying VR's albums were great cause honestly I didn't like them but I've always said their songs  on an individual basis smack you in the face and are stong. As albusm they dont' work.  My opinion on VR has always been interchange Scott for Axl and you've got your kickass Gn'R record.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
bigbri wrote:

Overly hyped,  yes. Just like the Star Wars prequels, but still far and away better than MOST rock out there now. If there is mainstream rock getting major play that is better, feel free to point it out.

the problem with requesting this is if anyone does mention something that they feel is better they'll simple be ripped for being ignorant. I mean we've already had comments like that. If we dont' see the songs how others see them than we're showing ignornace? Really? I know that's not how this forum usually rolls but you can sense it when people say stuff like "If there is mainstream rock getting major play that is better, feel free to point it out" in a way that suggests no matter what we say we're simply wrong. I think the Foo Fighters are better than this stuff. they're alot better live band as well.  I like alot of Seether's stuff, Smashing Pumpkins latest album blows this stuff outta the water in my opinion. How current does it have to be? can we go back to a band's latest release? Stereophonics last album was better than this stuff, Muse's last album was better and *cough* U2's album will be better:P.  But this is all just my opinion.

And for the record I think the popular opinion on the Star Wars prequels was they were overly hyped yes,  but they were most definately NOT far and away better than most movies out there. In fact weren't  the Star wars movies criticized for having a lack of vison story wise(song writting) and weren't they crticized for being to cluttered with CGI(Production), and didn't alot of Star Wars fans start to resent Georges Lucas for loosing site of what Star Wars was?  Hmmmm.... kinda like someone's lost sight of what Gn'R was(maybe).  Star Wars might be a bad example to use in support of the CD era material wink

bigbri

bigbri wrote:
Bono wrote:

You know what's really funny is how some of you say we can't  judge the CD material based on the wait or compare it to old Gn'R yet those same people use words like "Considering the people in Velvet Revolver they were a massive let down" I mean let's consider who's been in Gn'R and this is what we get? Arguebly a more talented band than the original Gn'R and for them to come up with this stuff after 10+ years of working on it is rather sad.  Does anyone else feel the CD era songs are decent for a few days or so and then you gotta burry them on you playlist for months on end to appreciate them again? I do. I can't listen to these songs consitently over long periods of time. I can't leave a disc of CD songs in my car and listen to it for a work week. The songs have no lasting appeal.  And I gotta get this off my chest. For everyone saying Buckethead owns these songs and that he's basically forced the "haters"(who actually hates BH anyways?) to fuck off with this material, please explain to me exactly what you're  hearing that's  so amazing? And please do so in a non condesending way that suggests if we can't hear it we simply don't know what we're talking about. I hear it but it's not mind blowing or even that great to me. Honestly Slash has better solos and guitar work on VR's albums in my opinion. My favorite CD era solo is the last solo on Better and that's Robin so I'm just not getting the Buckethead rules these songs thing.

James I do think the shit VR came up with is better. It's produced better and musically it rocks harder. It's not pretentious in it's attempt to be meaningful. It's not a cluttered mess. It is what it is. CD isn't aything. That's the problem.  I'm not saying VR's albums were great cause honestly I didn't like them but I've always said their songs  on an individual basis smack you in the face and are stong. As albusm they dont' work.  My opinion on VR has always been interchange Scott for Axl and you've got your kickass Gn'R record.

Well, firstly, GNR is Axl. We know Axl is calling the shots, so it's not a collection of this band's talent, I'm sure of that. If so, you would hear much better from Bucket and Brain, that much I know. I've never said Bucket rules these songs. I know he can do much better. I hear it on all his CDs. But I definitely enjoy hearing my favorite guitar player and Axl together. People think Bucket does crazy shit on these songs. It's nothing compared to other stuff. James hit the nail on the head in another thread when he said Bucket probably wrote Rhiad in an hour and went on to other things, and now its seven years later. Bucket doesn't play the same crazy stuff you hear in Rhiad on his new CDs. He's actually gotten better the past few years and is doing really accessible commercail stuff that would sell well if he weren't an inide. Just look at Jordan's success.

I will say I think Bucket on If The World is definitely a shining moment. If you don't, I'm not gonna try to force it on ya. I think it's beautiful music, actually. You see it your way. I'm sure you feel the same way about U2. They don't move me the way they move you, obviously. You could try to convince me they are genius, but it woudn't change my mind. That's why these are opinions.

As for Bucket vs. Slash, I guess I'll say it again. I want my musical idols to evolve, challenge me, challenge themselves, do something interesting vs. doing something to make a quick buck. Slash does  none of that. He's not evolving. He doesn't challenge me with what he comes up with. It's the same old stuff. Sorry, one good riff since UYI doesn't convince me. He doesn't do anything interesting with his sound or style. He sounds like he did in the Appetite days. If that's what you want to hear, then I guess it's all good for you, but not me.

And I will submit that VR was a colossal failure. I don't think you'll get much argument to the contrary. Their music doesn't smack me in the face. It leaves me sad and unfulfilled. I'm not an audiophile or whatever, so I don't know what you're talking about in production and I don't really care much. I let my ears be my guide, and VR makes 'em bleed--and not in a good way.

As for the leaks, I've had em on my iPod and near my CD player since Day 1, and if you've been around, you know I'm no Axl and GNR puppet. I've been so pissed at Axl and GNR for what's been going on that I've wanted to delete my accounts here and at every other forum I frequent. It's only the knowledge that leaks come through  the forums and that being at them is the only way I'll hear the new stuff that has kept me on GNR forums.

bigbri

bigbri wrote:

And the "ignorance" comment you are citing from me is from someone who said they don't hear a rocker in the leaks.

Is there anyone who would agree that there has been no rockers in these leaks? And I hope we're not gonna get into a debate of what constitutes a "rock" song. That would just be dumb.

Board footer