You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Re: Overall feelings on the CD era songs....

Bono wrote:
bigbri wrote:

And the "ignorance" comment you are citing from me is from someone who said they don't hear a rocker in the leaks.

Is there anyone who would agree that there has been no rockers in these leaks? And I hope we're not gonna get into a debate of what constitutes a "rock" song. That would just be dumb.

haha no that is true. I think what people are saying is there's no straight out radio rocker. Nothing like say Hell Yeah by Rev Theory, or Remedy by Seether, or Slither by VR. There's these weird industrial, flavoured rockers that won't suit the mainstreme. Let's face it. Gn'R has been mainstrem since day one(a year after the fact mind you). Their songs are classic radio rockers and nothing we have from CD era fits that bill. But you're right breaking down rock songs into sub genre's would be silly.  Personally I think Better is the closest thing. Bit of a mess in the middle of the song but it is a rocker for me. CD's kinda cool, R & B is a mess in my opinion.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

Bigbri I'm no expert in production either but like you I use my ears. For me the Gn'R stuff is a clusterfuck. It doesn't  sound good, it doesnt' sound professional. Vocals are drowned out far too often, guitars are hidden under bullshit synth, too many electronic beeps and blips going on. The drum machines are embarassing and if they aren't  drum machines than holy shit does Brain ever sound robotic and soulless. The songs have lost any heart and soul  they may have had due to the production. they sound bloated and pretentious.  I mean an all out "industrial" band like NIN sounds more organic than this stuff in my opinion.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

Well, I totally agree that there's too much going on. And I'm not happy with the way they are mixed, but the body of most of these sound good to me. I've never gotten too much into the production, mixing talk because 1) I don't want to sound like an apologist and 2) I assume these are demos that will sound different. I'm not sure about the drumming. Brain certainly is capable of much more. Again, I've heard a lot of Brain out of GNR, so I've got more to judge by.

Now, lemme be clear about my stance on this. Kind of like you were in your opening post of your thread here. This wasn't worth a decade of work. This isn't the result of a decade of work. This could have been done in months. The buildup is too much.  But, I gotta say, I don't have a lot of complaints about what I've heard. I just don't. Like I said, if VR was the opposite, getting things done relatively quickly and catching lightning in a bottle, being organic and not overly complex, then I don't think that was the way to do it either. There's gotta be a happy medium.

When I was asking about mainstream rock that gets lots of play that is just as good, I wasn't trying to be a dick. I just don't listen to much radio. My request was about what's getting played. Smashing Pumpkins to me also was a  huge disappointment. I live in Chicago, so we heard about the "reimagining" of SP for quite some time, and it just rang hollow when it finally arrived.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
Bono wrote:

James I do think the shit VR came up with is better. It's produced better and musically it rocks harder. It's not pretentious in it's attempt to be meaningful. It's not a cluttered mess. It is what it is. CD isn't aything. That's the problem.  I'm not saying VR's albums were great cause honestly I didn't like them but I've always said their songs  on an individual basis smack you in the face and are stong. As albusm they dont' work.  My opinion on VR has always been interchange Scott for Axl and you've got your kickass Gn'R record.

this is a brilliant post and i agree 100%...i have to agree that at this point in the game if i had to choose between either libertad or contraband over the 11 or 12 CD era tracks i would pick one of the VR albums

of course who knows what the final CD product will sound like with a proper Mix and Ron in the fold

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

Wow Bono and Neemo I just can't believe that. I can't believe we're so split as a fanbase that Libertad is thought of as better than these songs by some (a lot, it seems). I hated that album so much I never bought it - deleted it from my computer after like 3 weeks because I didn't like a single track on it.

I'm not accusing you guys of being lesser music fans or whatever I'm just totally shocked.

Tommie
 Rep: 67 

Tommie wrote:

I guess I'm the happy medium.  I like them both.  Give me an album full of Betters and Maddys and I'll be one happy camper with my album of the year.  But as far as straight out "rockers" go, I actually gotta side with VR. 

I also completely agree with what Bri said, I wish Slash would challenge himself a little bit more.  As much as I enjoy VR's music, it feels as if slash is just going through the motions.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
bigbri wrote:

Now, lemme be clear about my stance on this. Kind of like you were in your opening post of your thread here. This wasn't worth a decade of work. This isn't the result of a decade of work. This could have been done in months. The buildup is too much.  But, I gotta say, I don't have a lot of complaints about what I've heard. I just don't. Like I said, if VR was the opposite, getting things done relatively quickly and catching lightning in a bottle, being organic and not overly complex, then I don't think that was the way to do it either. There's gotta be a happy medium.

Totally agreed. The 2001 lineup probably came up with this material in a few months. There's nothing on these songs that required such an insane amount of time to finish.

The VR love is amusing. For all the VR appreciation flowing, kinda strange we've always had a dead VR section.:haha: VR appreciation only seems to surface when leaks happen, which is odd.

I'll take Riyadh over Slither, FTP, Messages, and Psycho Killer any day of the week.

Neemo

Neemo wrote:

i really honestly dig like the first 6 tracks off of libertad i think they kick serious ass...

the ELO cover, Just 16 and Spay are alright

then for a brother and grave dancer are great

even the hidden track is funny as hell i love it, in fact i prefer that to UTLH

bonus track gas and a dollar laugh are ok

but messages is brilliant

whats that 10 tracks i think are great out of 16 for the sessions? thats oretty good...and it only took them 3 years 16

for Contraband ? Sucker Train Blues, Illegal i Song, Fall to Pieces, Headspace, You Got No Right, Dirty Little Thing and Come on Come in... 7 of 14 i think are pretty awesome

of the CD stuff? i think maybe 6 of the 12 we have heard are great

Neemo

Neemo wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

The VR love is amusing. For all the VR appreciation flowing, kinda strange we've always had a dead VR section.:haha: VR appreciation only seems to surface when leaks happen, which is odd.

you cant blame me for the dead VR section...i prolly have 80% of the posts in there 14

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

I liked both VR albums, although I thought Contraband was much better than Libertad.  But I prefer these leaks way more than either of those albums or a best of VR album for that matter.  It's all a matter of opinion though.  We could argue who's better till we're blue in the face.  The only thing that's certain is we actually got to hear 2 albums from VR while we're still waiting to hear an actual release from Axl and co.

Board footer