You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Re: Overall feelings on the CD era songs....

Smoking Guns wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

We went from VR comparisons to Snakepit comparisons???

Whats next: Pisser??

GNR has a lot of work to do on these "demos" or "ideas" before they are ready for big time to be the next GNR album.  Release the fucker as a solo now and move the fuck on.  There, I said it. 

Maddy = Tired
Blues = Nice, been heard a billion times
Better = Kick ass song
IRS = Boring
Song #2 = Nice, but Not single level
Song #3 = Again, a song that fans will enjoy, not much single potential
Chinese Democracy = Good Rock Song, wouldn't get higher than 72 on the charts.

NEXT.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

Bono wrote:

Seriously outside the cozey confines of the Gn'R forum world would think The Blues is one of the greatest songs Axl has ever written? I just don't  see that happening. Up there with SCOM, Civil War, November Rain, Estranged? No way.

Here, though, the GN'R forum arrogance is already stamped on this post just like those loving the leaks. Tell me again who loves Estranged beyond GN'R diehards? Estranged is one of the biggest jokes to music fans when it came out, and it's still an easy joke people make when talking about GN'R.

I am 100% sure that The Blues would be given more respect than Estranged was.

And I'm not sure people really remember Civil War...

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:
Communist China wrote:
Bono wrote:

Seriously outside the cozey confines of the Gn'R forum world would think The Blues is one of the greatest songs Axl has ever written? I just don't  see that happening. Up there with SCOM, Civil War, November Rain, Estranged? No way.

Here, though, the GN'R forum arrogance is already stamped on this post just like those loving the leaks. Tell me again who loves Estranged beyond GN'R diehards? Estranged is one of the biggest jokes to music fans when it came out, and it's still an easy joke people make when talking about GN'R.

Everyone I know that has ever heard estranged loved it.  Civil War gets good air play where I live.  Next.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
Communist China wrote:
Bono wrote:

You are completely wrong with this statement. When the Illusion albums came out every muther fucker owned those albums including non diehards and Estranged was thought of as amazing by most everyone I know. It's the video that was thought of as a joke. Trust me on that one. Civil War is a song that's appreciated by people who don't even like the old  GN'R and is still a regular on radio where I live.

Seriously if you wanted to introduce someone to Guns N' roses and impress them would you choose The Blues over Estranged or Civil war?  I seriously doubt it.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

^ Well I've yet to physically meet a person who likes Estranged, and I've heard Civil War ont he radio twice in my lifetime. I've also yet to find a television mention of Estranged that was positive. Negative ones seem to pop up every couple years though.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
Communist China wrote:
Bono wrote:

Everyone I know that has ever heard estranged loved it.  Civil War gets good air play where I live.  Next.

That is why Estranged has been voted one of the worst rock ballads of all time.  It's considered a joke by most people. 

Civil War is easily forgotten by the general public.  Ask anyone that isn't a diehard to name a GNR song and i can guarantee that Civil War and Estranged won't even cross their minds.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Communist China wrote:

This is way the fuck off topic, but since this thread is as all over the place as CD is, I'll bite......

I am one of the few that think Civil War shouldn't have been on the UYI albums even though it was one of the strongest tracks. I love what that song represented at the time. GNR were the biggest band in the world and MILLIONS were dying for a new song. Played it at Farm Aid and then released Civil War on that album for charity. An extremely cool gesture by the band. If you didn't buy that album you were forced to record it off the radio.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:
Bono wrote:
Communist China wrote:
Bono wrote:

You are completely wrong with this statement. When the Illusion albums came out every muther fucker owned those albums including non diehards and Estranged was thought of as amazing by most everyone I know. It's the video that was thought of as a joke. Trust me on that one. Civil War is a song that's appreciated by people who dont' even like the old  GN'R.

Bono, stop reading my mind.

Dreamline
 Rep: 64 

Dreamline wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

GNR is more like Dream Theatre now, which were heavily influenced by Rush.  So is GNR a modern day Rush?

Don't think so.  Rush has released a CD nearly every year for the past 30 years, except for the little understandable hiatus when Neil tragically lost both his wife and daughter.  In half that amount of time, we're still waiting for one album.

Though I could see a point made for having different sounds for different eras, and the new stuff does get a  little close to prog.

Sorry the mention of Rush triggered my Pavlovian urge to comment.  Nothing to see here...move along.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
Saikin wrote:

That is why Estranged has been voted one of the worst rock ballads of all time.  It's considered a joke by most people. 

Civil War is easily forgotten by the general public.  Ask anyone that isn't a diehard to name a GNR song and i can guarantee that Civil War and Estranged won't even cross their minds.

haha! Ask anyone who's not a diehard to name anything other than SCOM, PC, Jungle, or November Rain. You really are outta touch here Saikin with the appreciation that Civil War garners from Gn'R fans and non fans alike. That is a sick ass song and I've yet to hear anyone ever say otherwise.

None of the Estranged bashing ever happend untill after the video was released. the song rules and everyone knew it. BUT when they put out the over the top video it was durring the Grunge fever pitch and it was now cool to blast bands like Gn'R. the video was pompus so critics started to associate the song with the video.  the video was anything but street crd Gn'R so of course sudenly the song losses it's cred. My brother who is not in any way shape or from a diehard or even a  fan really just said he thinks Estranged is, and I quote "fucking awesome".

is it just me or am I seeing a situation develope here where people are wanting to like the new Gn'R so badly that the've actually started trying to justify a song like  Estranged being a  joke or Civil War being forgettable to support their case? This has got to be one of the most insane things I've ever seen on a  Gn'R forum. neutral

Board footer