You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Overall feelings on the CD era songs....

James wrote:
machine24 wrote:

U guys are just so use to listening to the shit music out today that its hard to listen and appreciate great music.

Is that a joke??

Only thing I listen to of the "shit music" today is M.I.A., and her material is more groundbreaking than any of this stuff. Even people who hate her will admit she is bringing something fresh to the music world. Just because some of these songs have alot of things going on in them does not mean we all listen to shit music.

You want to hear how "awesome" Chinese Democracy would have been with Slash on it?

Go listen to Use Your Illusion.:thumbup:

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

Sorry, as this is off-topic and it's been a closed case, but I have one final point on Estranged...

Notice how those saying it's well liked and respected are the older members (no offense guys, but it's true) and the two saying it's not respected are the younger members? I think Estranged goes without respect from the younger generation of high school-college age kids these days... and that's the demographic that I think GN'R is aiming for. Maybe it is because of the video but that doesn't change the fact that a lot of kids don't like it at all.

While I don't hate Estranged, I don't really care for it. Heard the song before I saw the video too.

To machine24 - wow, man. wow.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
machine24 wrote:

U guys are just so use to listening to the shit music out today that its hard to listen and appreciate great music.

So I'll say this the nicest way I know how..... ummm.... go fuck yourself.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:
Communist China wrote:

Sorry, as this is off-topic and it's been a closed case, but I have one final point on Estranged...

Notice how those saying it's well liked and respected are the older members (no offense guys, but it's true) and the two saying it's not respected are the younger members? I think Estranged goes without respect from the younger generation of high school-college age kids these days... and that's the demographic that I think GN'R is aiming for. Maybe it is because of the video but that doesn't change the fact that a lot of kids don't like it at all.

While I don't hate Estranged, I don't really care for it. Heard the song before I saw the video too.

To machine24 - wow, man. wow.

I like it and I'm 16, it's fantastic in my opinion.

Also mahcine what "shit music"?

James

James wrote:

CC does make a good point. The post grunge generation does seem to have some issues with it. Would be a good reason why UYI flies under the radar now.

WhileI certainly don't advocate members telling someone to "fuck themselves", I'll be the first to admit that comment from machine was pretty insulting.

I don't like a certain song, so it means I listen to shit music? Would love an elaboration on that.

Seven
 Rep: 9 

Seven wrote:

off subject, Estranged appeals to the generation and time it was written about...

On subject I will not listen to any of these songs until the record comes out.  I just do not have the desire to hear them until I hear them in the order intended. As a singer I had to take a look at the lyrics, devastatingly sad. Really sad. Never would have seen that as a final chapter in this book when I was younger.

James

James wrote:
Seven wrote:

off subject, Estranged appeals to the generation and time it was written about...

On subject I will not listen to any of these songs until the record comes out.  I just do not have the desire to hear them until I hear them in the order intended. As a singer I had to take a look at the lyrics, devastatingly sad. Really sad. Never would have seen that as a final chapter in this book when I was younger.

Yeah, other than Track 2, some really off the wall stuff in these lyrics no doubt. He really had a hard time coping with life in the post 95 period. There's so much desperation in his words.

I certainly respect the fact you are waiting to hear this how its intended. If its anything resembling a concept record, the people who have listened have definitely clouded their perspective of it.

Its not the fans' fault though.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

CC does make a good point. The post grunge generation does seem to have some issues with it. Would be a good reason why UYI flies under the radar now.

WhileI certainly don't advocate members telling someone to "fuck themselves", I'll be the first to admit that comment from machine was pretty insulting.

I don't like a certain song, so it means I listen to shit music? Would love an elaboration on that.

The post grunge generation is defined by songs that pretty much have all come out before in some form or another.  16  There's something wrong with the generation not being able to recognize a good song.

I think a major problem is the attention spans of the audience.  With the whole 'flavor of the week' thing going on, their focus on a certain band isn't really that long.  So take a song like Estranged that doesn't start out fast and end quickly, and it's hard for younger generations that listen to radio a lot to focus on it.  There aren't many mainstream artists today releasing longer songs like Estranged.  In fact i can't think of more than a handfull.  Most of the time the songs aren't good anyway. 

I think that'll be a main problem facing this record as well.  And for that reason, from the songs we've heard, it won't go on to top GNR's past in terms of sales or recognition. 

I would too like an elaboration on 'shit music', and what exactly that means.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

Saikin don't get like that - just because flavors have shifted doesn't mean our generation can't recognize good music. I disagree with what our generation seems to enjoy mostly, but that doesn't mean it isn't good.

Bands like Tool make songs longer and more complex than Estranged regularly and still have a loyal following of people from the post-grunge era.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:
Communist China wrote:

Saikin don't get like that - just because flavors have shifted doesn't mean our generation can't recognize good music. I disagree with what our generation seems to enjoy mostly, but that doesn't mean it isn't good.

Bands like Tool make songs longer and more complex than Estranged regularly and still have a loyal following of people from the post-grunge era.

Oh i admit there are quite a few people that do recognize good music.  The majority of it isn't however. 

If say Avenged Sevenfold were to release a song like Estranged now, it most likely wouldn't be as big of a hit as Estranged was.

Board footer