You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Re: Overall feelings on the CD era songs....

Smoking Guns wrote:

James, I am calm now..... It has good ideas, but needs something to bring it all together.  Pretty Ironic that Axl said Slash had good ideas on the snakepit album but that it didn't go anywhere.   Pot calling kettle black.  Axl and Slash need each other. I am not saying this because "I want a reunion".  But to get the both out of Axl, you need Slash.  Same for Slash.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

I'd say 6.5/10.  There's ALOT of room for improvement on some of these songs (Maddy vocs, Blues mickey mouse voice). In Gnr's defense I do think these are demo's, & not really close to the finished version. Personally, I don't think the 3 newest leaks will not be on the first album, I think they're throwaway songs. Can't even call them filler. I do really like CD, Better, Blues. Not a huge fan of TWAT, but it's good. Maddy's good, but we heard it 6 years ago on MTV?!!

There's absolutely a chance there's more & better songs to be on CD. Myb Better & CD aren't even the best of the bunch. But if these 9 songs were the finished product. I'd say 6.5/10, not very good, especially considering the wait. With Rick Rubin producing Metallica's next one I think that might be solid, & definitely likely contender for album of the year, along with potentially U2 (not sure if it's coming out this year, I think it is).

James Lofton wrote:

We've all been Punk'd.

Well, we don't know what they've heard either.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

I think you guys have been reading each other's posts too much. A lot of people seem to be saying more and more negative things in each successive post, as the negaitivity gains momentum. I understand some of it may come from more time and more listening, but I think you're getting carried away.

I like the album a lot. It's a 4 out of 5, it's just not relevant and it wont be successful, but I don't care about that.

To the Finck haters, he tried to do somethng new in GN'R while still having Slash blues-rock moments to keep it grounded (Better and The Blues). If you think he's just messing up check out his rehearsal footage with NIN from the past month. The dude can play his ass off. So diss his interpretation of GN'R and diss his ideas, but not his skill.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Wow....lots of people really not into this stuff huh.

I still think the leaks make good songs. In general melodies are good, structures are good.....I think if we looked at the weaker songs of UYI they arn't much better than this.

So why does everyone feel dissatisified? I have a theory:

Sorry to sound like i'm living in 1988 but what is missing from these songs is the Slash pressence. Not even Slash himself but that "guitar god" feel that an inspirational guitar solo can bring. That *something* that makes even the technically simple solo in don't cry rock...or the NR solo...and takes the basic song to the next level. the only one that has this is TWAT...and even that seems to come out of nowhere because of the change in tone.

The funny thing is - bucket is a guitar god in terms of playing skill for sure - but his awesome skills don't translate in these songs to elevating them as instrumental compositions to another level (aside from TWAT) . It's more like listening to bland music, then a few seconds of freakishly hard guitar overdubed over in the mix.

Despite the 200 layers of 6 different guitarists these songs don't have that killer guitar vibe.

There's flashes of it...like the 2nd half of robin's solo in "The Blues" wakes me up... Whoever plays the electric solo in "If the world" does similar.  But the rest of the quitar parts are just flashes of impossible technique - the IRS solo, the runs in better, the two handed tap thingie that's going on at the end of Rhiad...it's impressive stuff....but I'm not sure it really fits perfectly with the songs in the way that the guitar in civil war makes the song, or the way outro guitar blends in breakdown.

These songs pull in so many directions...i guess that was the idea...like there's cool guitar in better...but you don't even hear it through all the synth and stuff going on in the recent mix.

I'm not saying we have to have slash but slash was a musician of the same calibre as Axl.

Buckethead is most likely on the same level as well, but his compositions are in unusual styles that maybe arn't so suited for traditional songs with lead vocals. His best stuff is instrumental, and not in the sorts of style where Axl shines.

Its time to accept that Huge, Robin, and whoever else wrote the other guitar parts for these songs are just not playing on the same level as Axl. So what we have here is a collection of tracks that are the basis for a bunch of fantasic songs...but all seem lacking something...

That said...despite this negative post I actually do love the tunes. But I'll always feel about them like I do snakepit...great album...wrong singer...this stuff...great album...wrong guitarists/underuse of bucket

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

Wow, everyone's on the ledge on this stuff. You should just jump now because this is what we're getting. Not sure why'd you want to stick this out after hearing 10 cd songs. There's no reunion coming either. The best you're getting is Slash's attempt to be Carlos Santana. Another original idea there. Like I've been saying, I like the new ideas here. I'm past the gnr of old. I don't want the same ol, same ol. I want something that challenges everyone involved, including us.

Communist China wrote:

I think you guys have been reading each other's posts too much. A lot of people seem to be saying more and more negative things in each successive post, as the negaitivity gains momentum. I understand some of it may come from more time and more listening, but I think you're getting carried away.

I like the album a lot. It's a 4 out of 5, it's just not relevant and it wont be successful, but I don't care about that.

I have to agree.   I really do like the songs, especially the new songs.  I don't want everything sounding the same and I like the different directions each song goes into, which the legacy of GNR is no stranger to.   The one thing I do miss and we hear it a little on If The World is a strong bass presence.   Other then that, whether the album is successful or not, it's all about what each individual fan thinks.  If they like and the world doesn't, so be it and vice versa. 

I think we'll be surprised when this does finally drop that it's going to do extremely well.   Only thing that may really suck for GNR is that the album consists primarily of what we've heard, many people may not buy it and it having nothing to do whether they like it or not.

Hell, I am getting it either way, can't pass up not actually buying this long awaited album to not read all the liner notes and to finally have the actual disc in your hand.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
bigbri wrote:

Wow, everyone's on the ledge on this stuff. You should just jump now because this is what we're getting.

Yeah I know this is what we're getting, which is why panic buttons are going off. As I've said many times, its good. Its just not living up to any expectations, and I'm not even talking about the long wait. That lineup should have been able to record a better album in the span of a couple months.

Axl had a supergroup from 2000-04, and we got elevator music and some Praxis.

Great.

I don't normally make identical posts at forums I go to, but I said this at the Finck forum....

Track 2 is a shit stain on GNR's legacy. No wonder the FBI was sent out on the prowl.

This album(what we've heard) is really underwhelming me at the moment. Since my "medical emergency" last week, I've been lounging around the house most of this week, and gave these leaks many listens.

The novelty wears off really quick and it just gets weaker with each listen.

If this is the album with a few more songs, I can literally see CD gathering dust in my closet within a few months of release, if not sooner.

After 11 years of work, the best thing they could come up with is that killer title track.

Way too much talent walked through this band for it to have turned out like this.

I don't want everything sounding the same and I like the different directions each song goes into

I don't like things sounding the same either, and I listen to music that goes in more directions than this. Thats not the problem. Its not living up to the standards of the talent that created it.

sic.
 Rep: 150 

sic. wrote:
bigbri wrote:

Wow, everyone's on the ledge on this stuff. You should just jump now because this is what we're getting. Not sure why'd you want to stick this out after hearing 10 cd songs. There's no reunion coming either. The best you're getting is Slash's attempt to be Carlos Santana. Another original idea there. Like I've been saying, I like the new ideas here. I'm past the gnr of old. I don't want the same ol, same ol. I want something that challenges everyone involved, including us.

Very good, sir.

Personally, I'm fed up with Appetite. There are some catchy songs in there, yes, but it's an album of its time like many others. Listening to songs like If the World makes me realize how frustrating it must be for the band to be considered a nostalgia act and all the while there has been new music like this in the making. Certainly explains a lot about some of the comments made by the band members in the past years. If the public perception of GNR today is determined by AFD, an assumption which Axl backs with his traveling retrospective, the new tracks are certainly something completely different.

It's a no-win situation, though. GNR can't be conceived at large to exist in their own private bubble outside the studio setting and CD is bound to be compared to its contemporaries along with the AFD legacy. When you think about it, that's only common sense as the music world keeps shifting and evolving. Maybe for a split second in the early 90's, GNR were the top of the heap, but they no longer incite fear (so to speak) amongst their peers - many of which have been replaced since the hey-day by other acts.

Of course, Axl brought a lot of that upon himself. While it would be biased and unjust to blame him for all the things that happened within the band eversince Farm Aid, he took it all for too long. Had he released the Sean Beavan album in '99, it would've probably gotten a mixed reception, but many people would've still embraced it and he could've gotten away with balancing the live performance with the golden oldies. In '02, he could've made a return to form by putting out a classic rock album with Buckethead in the fold. '06 could've by then marked a tent-pole release of a band which the public would expect to be ready to abandon all excess baggage of the past and embrace completely new soundscapes.

But none of that happened, which is why If the World sounds so daft to so many.

Slashisvr
 Rep: 8 

Slashisvr wrote:

i think CD will sell, due to the curisoity factor

personally, i am not a big believer in the new leaks, the old ones, better etc are good songs, but nothing i have heard from GNR is groundbreaking or worth keepin the album back for so long

if it has taken axl and co so long to write this, then just release the thing already!

Board footer