You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Overall feelings on the CD era songs....

There may be some evolution to the song structure, but I was referring to the mastering, the mixing, (especially) the vocals, etc. - Not even close.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Yeah, I don't really get the point of calling this material demos anymore.

James

James wrote:
disease51883 wrote:

There may be some evolution to the song structure, but I was referring to the mastering, the mixing, (especially) the vocals, etc. - Not even close.

Yeah there has likely been more vocal work done, but you gotta admit:

These are super advanced demos......

I have tons of demos by bands/artists of many genres, and none sound like this stuff.

Because they are demos?

tejastech08 wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

The music is on the fence of being bad ass.  I think they just lack and identity and chemistry.  They don't know what they are or what they should sound like.  Its a shame.  Is Better the New GNR's banner song?  Like Paradise City is the Classic Lineup's theme song?  What is this band about?  I don't get it.  They don't know either.  The magic that came from 5 friends is gone.  There is not magic.  There is nobody rising to Axl's vocals.  NOBODY. Like some said, great solos by the guitar players, but they are solos, not for the song.  Just solos to solo and sound like they were punched in.  It sounds to sterile and contrived to me.  All these dramatic synthisizer intros are too much.  Not bare bones enough. Does Chinese Democracy need a one minute intro?  perhaps, but 5 other songs don't.  Its not Dio "Holy Diver" for heaven's sake.   And Holy Diver is a classic song.  They are right on the cusp of being there.  BRI, I do "enjoy" the songs, don't get me wrong.  But like Bono says, 11 years for this?  Are you serious.  Fuck the final mix, it won't save these songs.  They need new songs to save this.  Is this the worst album ever?  Fuck no.  Is this the worst GNR album ever?  Damn right.

No, the worst GN'R album ever is Spaghetti Incident. And actually, I think CD will be more consistent than the Illusions, but definitely not worth the wait. Not even close to worth it.

Couldn't agree more with this statement.    CD is definitely modeled from what we've heard so far like the Illusions just by the differences in the songs we've heard.   Especially in the 2 new songs, with them being completely different.

James

James wrote:
disease51883 wrote:

Because they are demos?

Feel free to post as many links as possible to demos as advanced as these.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
disease51883 wrote:

Oh ok smile Yeah i can see what you mean about that...like they just don't sound the way a professional CD does yet and i'm sure they will when it's released.

I think some of this demo argument comes from using different terms.

Like to many people (and say in my band) a demo is like a rough thing - so like you'll turn on a recording device of some kind - slap down a rough riff, throw some vocals over. its to experiment with how a song is structured and different ideas...without spending the $ involved to record the song expensively. So its usually only a couple of takes if that, and liveish type stuff.  Examples of this kind of demo are a lot of the old GNR demos.

The leaks by contrast were obviously recorded over multiple sessions in a pro-tools enviroment and a great deal of time has been spent changing how they are arranged and so forth and working on possbile parts to go with them.

So i'd agree they are "demos" in the sence that they havn't been mixed and mastered fully. Which is basicly what you are saying. But i see what james is getting at when he says you don't see other bands demos like this.

Or you could just listen to the "Use Your Illusion" albums and then a "Use Your Illusion" concert, and with the exception of the songs I mentioned, tell me which one the vocals on these demos come closer to. I think you people have listened to too many "A+ plus boots" over the years, and convinced yourself that that's acceptable quality for an album. The most polished demo of the bunch doesn't sound as finished as any of the Axl songs on "Angel Down".

Maybe it is just miscommunication. But I'm pretty sure I've read otherwise (Mainstream news sources basically saying that the finished album has leaked, for example).

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
disease51883 wrote:

Maybe it is just miscommunication. But I'm pretty sure I've read otherwise (Mainstream news sources basically saying that the finished album has leaked, for example).

Actually that's true I've seen that too and hadn't thought about it.

As for axl's voice, I wondered if some of it is due to his voice "changing" over the years for whatever reason, but then it's also true what you said about Angel down - i listened to it again today and thought something similar. Even the way the guitars and everything sound on a professionally mixed and mastered CD will be a lot better. So i'd agree these are not at like "broadcast" quality yet if you will.

So yeah...it is kinda crappy that new sources are saying that they are the finished album.

I guess what i mean is if people don't like the leaks because of the guitar tone or axl's voice sloppy drumming or something then i'd agree that the finished CD will blow them away. But people who have issues with the basic structure or style of these leaks will likely still be upset...as I can't see songs like IRS, Better  and Maddy changing dramaticly now (and I wouldn't want them to).

Board footer