You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

Re: Differences in the "old" new leaks....

Yeah I should apologize to Tommy and give him some due credit. This is very able bass work here. Some stuff is even pretty cool, and songs like The Blues seem to be a lot more ballsy with his prescence in there. Sounds a lot like what Duff did on Illusions actually, which I like a lot. Because the guitar work mainly does not sound like Slash at all.

bazgnr
 Rep: 4 

bazgnr wrote:

You're right about that.  Slash, and the AFD sound, are things of the past.  Me, I'm fine with it.  I think the new materials sounds both urgent and relevant, which is really no easy task for someone in Axl's position.  I'm more anxious than ever to buy this album...

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

you're a bass player and you dont find the bass parts boring on this material? I understand that not everyone can be Flea...but i thought he would do a bit more that what we hear on there now..i dont necessarily think that Tommy is too high in the mix but i think the guitars are too low

i play both bass and guitarso i understand the need for all insruments to be equal ...take AIC for example...they havea perfect mix on most of their stuff...and Mike Inez has some brilliant basslines

i just think its too bad that Tommy didnt think a bit outside the box here instead of just following the chord progression

bazgnr

bazgnr wrote:

My "I'm a bass player" comment was meant to pertain to the fact that I like the bass high in the mix.  You're completely right - there's not a whole lot going on bass wise, but it's nice to actually hear bass in the tracks.  For a player of Tommy's creativity and talent, it's disappointing that there's not more going on, but he has a hell of a lot to compete with for musical "space."  To have so much piano and keys involved - which frequently overlaps with the role of the bass - doesn't make it any easier.

Neemo wrote:

you're a bass player and you dont find the bass parts boring on this material? I understand that not everyone can be Flea...but i thought he would do a bit more that what we hear on there now..i dont necessarily think that Tommy is too high in the mix but i think the guitars are too low

i play both bass and guitarso i understand the need for all insruments to be equal ...take AIC for example...they havea perfect mix on most of their stuff...and Mike Inez has some brilliant basslines

i just think its too bad that Tommy didnt think a bit outside the box here instead of just following the chord progression

I have to agre with Neemo the bass parts really don't stand out much at all and it's been pretty consistent through any leak we've had.

When I think of how and not to compare old to new but Duff's parts when he was in the band, stood out and added so much to the songs.    Maybe Axl didn't want to follow that suit.  hmm

Sky Dog wrote:

yo......watch the Tommy talk. Great bass in The Blues, CD, and especially the outro to TWAT. Definitely cool in If The World as well. Thank God he isn't Flea....this band needs a bland anchor with all the other shit going on. Mother Goose is in the house!:haha::nervous:

Neemo

Neemo wrote:
madagas wrote:

yo......watch the Tommy talk. Great bass in The Blues, CD, and especially the outro to TWAT. Definitely cool in If The World as well. Thank God he isn't Flea....this band needs a bland anchor with all the other shit going on. Mother Goose is in the house!:haha::nervous:

I was waiting for you to reply big_smile

no i dont expect him to be Flea...i think a Mike Inez example is a good comparison though...Mike Inez is an amazing Bass Player and he anchors the bands he is in amazingly, opr the dude from aerosmith has some killer riffs and he hold everythign together as well...however this stuff we are hearing from Tommy its like Soul Asylum cheesy crap ....

Neemo

Neemo wrote:

I'm not trying to bash Tommy...i think i just expected more than i should have sad or i just wasnt knowledgable enough about his discography to know what to properly expect from him hmm

bazgnr

bazgnr wrote:

His time with The Replacements and his solo stuff, unfortunately, aren't good indicators of what's shown up on the GnR tracks...

Sky Dog wrote:

Tommy is an indie meat and potatos rocker. No flash....no dash...just cool. Again, there are 8 players in this band.....bass is obviously only one part of the mix. He is good when he needs to be good. Simple as that. I am more disappointed that I don't hear any background vocals from him or any other bandmembers. You need the different voices to add texture and different tones to the songs. Maddy would be much better with the band singing part of the outro.:peace:

Board footer