You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Re: The Azoff factor re-examined: could he be targeting Bucket, not Slash?

Axl S wrote:
Scabbie wrote:

And I also believe he would have been given a clear direction  by Axl

Axl has a direction?:haha:

But yeah if anything is going to happen it's whatever task Axl has asked Azoff to do. And Azoff will definetly get it done.

Scabbie
 Rep: 33 

Scabbie wrote:

I'd take Bucket or Robin over Tommy any day. Quite liked Village Gorilla Head though

As for Brain - I don't think we've heard a song yet that really shows off his skills - apparently we need to hear the General

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Also, why do people think Tommy would hate Bucket coming back? Tommy proclaimed this material "earth shattering" in 2004, and its not the bass he was referring to.

People can dislike each other and still work in a band environment. Even if Tommy truly dislikes Bucket, there's no way in hell that Tommy doesn't admire his skills.

Sky Dog wrote:

I took Tommy's comments about Bucket as he felt that Bucket left them and he was mad that he left. Tommy is known as a very loyal guy and  probably felt betrayed by his departure. I would assume he also knew that Bucket was all over the material and that his departure would be a problem. 

and ps, if Tommy leaves, then we have absolutely no true "rock stars" left in the band. Say what you want, but Tommy is well known and very well respected in the music industry....much more so than Robin Finck. Tommy has been a legitimate rock star since he was 15 and will be an important part of promotion for the record. He is the only member in the band with a known track record in the media-as evidenced by a recent full length interview with Billboard, Spin, and multiple other music publications. cool

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
madagas wrote:

I took Tommy's comments about Bucket as he felt that Bucket left them and he was mad that he left. Tommy is known as a very loyal guy and  probably felt betrayed by his departure. I would assume he also knew that Bucket was all over the material and that his departure would be a problem. 

and ps, if Tommy leaves, then we have absolutely no true "rock stars" left in the band. Say what you want, but Tommy is well known and very well respected in the music industry....much more so than Robin Finck. Tommy has been a legitimate rock star since he was 15!:cool:

Oh I agree.Tommy leaving would be the final nail in the coffin.Before someone chimes in saying, "they're all replaceable", well in the case of Tommy that may no longer be the case with Finck already gone.

The main contributors to the album are already gone, and Tommy bailing would make it MUCH worse.

Tommy
Finck
Bucket
Brain
Huge*maybe*
Freese*credited with title track*

How can it feasibly survive all that?

Its why I would never rule out Axl trying to assemble the 01 or 02 lineup when the train leaves the station until I see an album in stores and a revamped 08(or later) lineup touring the record.

When you have the talent listed above on your album and they are nowhere in sight at release time, even new fans digging the shit out of these tunes who go to live show are gonna say,"Uh, wait a minute. This isn't GNR." So not only will Axl have the Slash chants at the arenas, he'll have people screaming for the album lineup.

He will attempt at some point to assemble that 99-04 lineup(or a variation of it). Axl may be insane, but he's not fucking stupid.

Madagas, regarding your Tommy-Bucket comments, I agree. I used to give Tommy hell for his anti Bucket sentiments, but after reading the Classic Rock article, its pretty obvious his negative comments were more in regards to Bucket's unconventional studio techniques.

Tommy: "I wish I could shit in his bucket".

Kinda puts that line in a perspective we didn't have when he first said it years ago.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

This might sound like an asshole thing to say....and I don't want to rag on tommy fans...but I personally don't think loosing Tommy would make any difference to the music of the band. His parts on the new songs, both live and in the studio are pretty much stock standard bass lines. There is nothing wrong with that - but there is also nothing unique or memorable about his performance.

Take any of the leaks: Substitute guitarist X for Robin and the song would sound way different, all those nutty bends and dischords would vanish. Or remove bucket and have guitarist X play for him - and wait - all of a sudden all those distinctive bucket licks and solos just died in the ass. Now do the same thing for tommy - take out his bass and have bassist X overdub. Notice anything different? I wouldn't.

Sky Dog wrote:

Tommy's role in the band is to be a consistent solid anchor. Yes, you could play his parts easily...just as you could Duff's. They are really similar type of players. Gnr is a guitar band and the guitar needs to be providing the flash....or Pitman or any of the other 8 members of Axl's orchestra. Tommy fits because some parts don't need to be flashy...just "solid". With all the other shit going on in these songs, the last thing they need is Les Claypool or Flea type bass.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

I don't think it can survive what it's already lost unless one or more of those guys come back.  Most of us already think the situation is a joke regardless of who you support the most.  How do you think the general public is going to respond when the album comes out and the only people besides Axl that contributed to the main writing/recording of the album have Silkworms as their writing credit? 

I know we have some Tommy lovers here and I mean no disrespect to them, but I've followed music for a long, long time and never heard of Tommy until he was in GnR.  Being the bassist is one small step above being the dummer - it's great to have a technically gifted player in either role, but you can more than get by with one that just get's the job done.  True rock bands need a standout singer, a standout lead guitarist, and a standout songwriter (which can be the singer, the lead, or another band member).  This band in it's current state has 1-1/2 of that, and it's all Axl.

Once the original guys left, none of the replacements were ever really "rock stars".  I think that's one of the reasons some people don't consider this GnR anymore.

Sky Dog wrote:

I am sick of this shit. Buzz, does Billboard give full length interviews to people who are not rock stars? Have you ever seen any current or former new Gnr member, outside of Tommy, interviewed by any major music publication? When was Duff's last full length interview with Billboard? He is every bit the rock star Duff ever dreamed of being. You obviously were pretty closed minded during your years of following music and you just proved your ignorance about music history when you say you never heard of him prior to Gnr. That is simply ignorant and shows that you have a very small understanding of the history of rock and roll.:thumbup:
http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/art … 1003792309

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

I've also been biting my tongue on this, but to be completely on topic, there's no way that if Azoff was brought in to arrange a reunion other than either the AFD or UYI lineups.  I know we have a lot of BH love at this site, but let's be realistic for a second...CD is NOT going to be a huge moneymaker.  The only huge moneymaker (besides Chris) is a reunion of one of the original lineups.  Azoff didn't sign on for less than that.

Now he may believe (as many do) that a reunion isn't possible until CD comes out and therefore is trying to get BH back, but that's a completely different motivation long term than being brought on board just to get the 2001/2002 lineup back together.  Those efforts are just the result of him striving towards the long term goal.

Board footer