You are not logged in. Please register or login.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

Re: The Azoff factor re-examined: could he be targeting Bucket, not Slash?

buzzsaw wrote:
madagas wrote:

I am sick of this shit. Buzz, does Billboard give full length interviews to people who are not rock stars? Have you ever seen any current or former new Gnr member, outside of Tommy, interviewed by any major music publication? When was Duff's last full length interview with Billboard? He is every bit the rock star Duff ever dreamed of being. You just show your ignorance about music history when you say you never heard of him prior to Gnr. That is simply ignorant and shows that you have a very small understanding of the history of rock and roll.:thumbup:
http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/art … 1003792309

See, that's where you're wrong, and you're always wrong when you bring him up.  He's not, nor was he ever, a "rock star" - if anything, he was an anti-rock star and I'd be willing to bet you he'd say the same thing.

I'm aware his band existed.  Some people even liked them (though I didn't).  I'd NEVER heard of HIM until he joined GnR.  Many, many more educated people in music likely STILL don't know who he is, though I'm sure if you mention the band, they'll go "Oh, he was in that band?".  He's nowhere near the household name that you seem to think he is.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
madagas wrote:

Tommy's role in the band is to be a consistent solid anchor. Yes, you could play his parts easily...just as you could Duff's. They are really similar type of players. Gnr is a guitar band and the guitar needs to be providing the flash....or Pitman or any of the other 8 members of Axl's orchestra. Tommy fits because some parts don't need to be flashy...just "solid". With all the other shit going on in these songs, the last thing they need is Les Claypool or Flea type bass.

I pretty much agree. We've been agreeing too much lately. Potential sign of the Apocalypse?:haha:

The latest leaks upped my respect for Tommy. Like you said, he's not doing anything innovative, but who cares. He's doing what he's gotta do, and I reeeeeeeally like the way his bass sounds on a few of these tracks(IRS a good example).

James

James wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

but let's be realistic for a second...CD is NOT going to be a huge moneymaker.

Who here ever said it was? We all know this thing is probably going gold, platinum at tops.

See, that's where you're wrong, and you're always wrong when you bring him up.

Thats a bit harsh. He is a huge Stinson/Mats fan, and to say he is "always wrong"is ludicrous.

Sky Dog wrote:

James, that is scary..:nervous:

Buzz, he is not a household name in popular culture.....neither is Duff really...just Axl and Slash fill that role. But, he is a known and respected "rock star" in the music industry and trust me they were rebellious hard drinking rock stars. My point remains the same, if you did not know who Tommy Stinson was before 1998, then your overall knowledge of rock and roll is fairly limited. Simple as that. I don't care if someone in the jungles of Brazil knows who he is.....but he is a household name among musicians, critics, and music historians.

James

James wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

The only huge moneymaker (besides Chris) is a reunion of one of the original lineups.  Azoff didn't sign on for less than that.

Now he may believe (as many do) that a reunion isn't possible until CD comes out and therefore is trying to get BH back, but that's a completely different motivation long term than being brought on board just to get the 2001/2002 lineup back together.  Those efforts are just the result of him striving towards the long term goal.

We agree there. Anyone who thinks Azoff isn't having champagne wishes and caviar dreams over a GNR reunion needs to go read about him.

If CD, Bucket coming back(or anything) is an obstacle eventually achieving  that final goal, he will do what he can to get it done(or get fired).

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:

Thats a bit harsh. He is a huge Stinson/Mats fan, and to say he is "always wrong"is ludicrous.

Oh, I'm the first in line to admit mad knows way more than I do about Tommy, but it clouds his judgement.  He is only "always wrong" when he brings up the Stinson is some music legend or rock star or whatever term he wants to use.  That's quite simply not the case no matter how many times he wants to say it is.  I've been a musician and been around musicians all my life and NEVER heard his name mentioned until he joined GnR, and those mentions only came at GnR sites.  I don't see his name being brought up much even now that I'm aware of it. 

He's not a rock star.  I didn't make it that way...don't blame the messenger.  I'm glad he has his fans, but he's simply not a household name.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

If Tommy saw GNR as a job then I guess he wouldn't have any problem
with Buckethead coming back. I think his hate went deeper than "he was
doing it out of loyalty." I think it was very personal to the extent that, from
what I rememeber reading, Buckethead refused to talk to anyone in the
band except for Axl and Brain. Now, you have to remember, Richard is one
of Tommy's best friends. If Tommy felt disrespected, than you can double
that if Buckethead gave Richard the silent treatment, too. 

I don't think anyone should doubt Tommy's role. He's known as the General of
the band. And Frank and Richard are both in the band because of Tommy. You
don't think that's power?  And sorry to all invovled, but Tommy is way more
respected in the music industry than Duff. Sorry guys. You can have a popularity
contest with who knows who's name more, but Tommy gives GNR instant cred in
the industry. Something the GNR name hasn't had in a long time. That's why this
line up is (was) known as a dream band, line up, supergroup.

I'm not trying to downplay the old line ups significance by any means, but there are
a lot of posters who've been trying to knock the new line up to praise the old. And
I'll say it again, a reunion, the way most people want, is never going to happen.

And please, Axl would NOT NEED a high price manager to get a reunion started.

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:
madagas wrote:

My point remains the same, if you did not know who Tommy Stinson was before 1998, then your overall knowledge of rock and roll is fairly limited. Simple as that. I don't care if someone in the jungles of Brazil knows who he is.....but he is a household name among musicians, critics, and music historians.

And my point remains the same.  HE wasn't even on the radar.  His band was to some extent, but not him.  I'm not making that up...go look at album sales, interviews, hit singles, etc.  They barely registered as a band and good luck finding him plastered all over magazines from the 80s.  That's cool that "industry" people knew who he was and I know they influenced other bands that made it bigger than they did - that's not being a rock star.  Were talking about 2 completely different things. 

No, I'd say my recollection of the music scene is dead on accurate...no need for you to question my knowledge of rock and roll, especially when it comes to the 80s.  If you want to say my knowledge of fringe bands from the 80s is limited - I might give you that...there were so many one hit wonders and these guys didn't even make that level, so they were pretty forgettable.

Don't take it so personally.  Every time I post anything about Tommy or his band, you choose to insult my knowledge of music.  I didn't write history, I'm just reporting it.

Sky Dog wrote:

so being interviewed by Billboard is meaningless because you and whoever you hang out with are fucking clueless when it comes to 80's alternative/indie/college rock? Have any of these musicians you've been around all your life been interviewed by Billboard? Billboard obviously thinks he is "rock star" enough to warrant a full length interview. Please, he is a rock star in the music industry.....not a household name.....but a well known name in the "MUSIC INDUSTRY" which is all I have ever claimed. You are the one with clouded judgement and some crazy fucking misconception that somehow you know everything about music and rock and roll because you studied it or play it or whatever. The reality stays the same......he was on MTV and the David Letterman show and Saturday Night Live and literally hundreds of other media outlets WAY before 1998. Those are cold hard facts. Just go youtube him and The Replacements. Get the fuck over yourself for a second and quit arguing semantics. I am talking straight up facts when it comes to things he has done in rock and roll and media outlets he has been exposed on.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

So? Does Tommy make the decisions?

Axl was trying to get Bucket back right before Hammerstein, so he either clearly doesn't give two shits about what Tommy thinks, or Tommy agreed he should be brought back.

Saying its "totally not happening" considering the fact he is all over the record is a bit overboard.

No, but considering Tommy's status in this band it will ruin whatever dynamics they got going.

Axl tried before Hammerstein...sure..but it didn't happen. It won't happen now. My gut feeling says GNR has long been forgotten by BH...it's ancient stuff and not something to pursue. Whatever Axl might try. It's my gut feeling and I'm pretty sure it's the right one. Sorry to say...I would love it for him to come back.

Bucket coming back is on the same page as Chinese Democracy coming out in 2008. cool

Board footer