You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: Slash talks Axl on 'David Letterman'

monkeychow wrote:

^ Oh and back OT - Slash and Axl - i'd love it if it was to record some stuff, but a tour alone (while fun and i'd surely go) would be kinda not as cool and seem a bit gimicky to me.

But anyways...its all dream land for a few more years at least I'd say, if not forever.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
russtcb wrote:

If I were in Slash's current band, I'd want to reconcile with Axl too.

Why? So he can go from actually creating music, releasing it, and continually adding to his legacy to doing absolutely nothing? From a musical standpoint, the last place on earth a musician would want to be is in Guns N Roses. You stop being a musician the second you join. You just get to tour AFD every few years. Big deal.

I'm not even much of a VR fan. I can put all the songs I like from them on a disc and its pretty much an EP. However, that doesn't disregard everything Slash has done. He has had an amazing career, and his post 87-93 resume is the best of anyone that has ever been in the band or is currently in the band.

Axl would benefit more from a reconciliation than Slash would. Slash's legacy is secure. He is widely respected by the media, fans, and his peers. People look forward to whatever his next move is. He is pretty much the poster boy for that guitar game. He can go solo or play with any artist/band that he chooses to work with.

I know people like to say he is an "attention whore", but I bet my life if Axl's career had turned out as productive as Slash's the last thing they would be calling him is an attention whore.

A reunion is going to happen sooner rather than later. Its inevitable. In the meantime, Slash continues 'moving on' like he continually says and contributes to an amazing legacy/resume. Axl will continue the AFD head trip, and the only way a reunion will happen is if Axl begs for it.

Which he should have to. He has been the least productive member of the old lineup. A ton of money shouldn't be handed to him on a silver platter for nothing but living off what those guys did. Make him beg for it.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Robman
 Rep: 5 

Robman wrote:

I think Slash, Duff, and Axl might have another 15 years of touring left in them.

Sooner is better than later.

James

James wrote:

I agree that from a musical standpoint, VR is a weak link in his resume. However, the band's very existence is a bright spot on his resume. They are one of the few successful supergroups in existence. He has been in two major bands, with alot of solo work and collaborations in between.

I don't want a reunion either. It will just cheapen what they did and drag the legacy through the mud. However, we don't need a reunion to do that. Axl is perfectly capable of doing that himself. So as the name loses its value and the legacy slowly fades, does the world want one last huge tour by the guys who made it all happen, or do they want a warped nostalgia head trip that fewer and fewer people are caring about?

Those are the only two logical choices left. While new GNR can release an album, they will never build a comparable legacy. The ship sailed on that dream years ago.

Horrific
 Rep: 7 

Horrific wrote:

You guys basically cut it all down to size,very good points made.As much as I would like a reunion myself I can't help but think of the guys now in GnR/VR.What bout them.Also the way Slash has been talking recently bout Axl makes me think that he would like for them anyway to have some kind of relationship.

RussTCB

RussTCB wrote:

removed

James

James wrote:

They can release a great album. Hell, if the stars align correctly maybe even two. We're way past the point of the CD era even coming close to eclipsing what the old band did, or even anything close to that level. I do believe it was possible had all Axl's talk about releasing music since the 90's been action instead of talk.

Release an album in 99, another in 01, and one during the 06 tour. Get ready for the next one in 08, maybe 09. He would have already been on his way to establishing new GNR as force to be reckoned with. Hell, the lineup probably wouldn't have been a revolving door either.

If Axl ever does an in depth interview, he will probably say that the band being idle for such a huge chunk of time was a massive mistake.

RussTCB

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Horrific
 Rep: 7 

Horrific wrote:

Here are some great captures of Slash on Letterman:

http://www.slashsworld.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18669

Board footer