You are not logged in. Please register or login.

The Cusack
 Rep: 1 

Re: The NFL 2007-08 Season thread

The Cusack wrote:

I didn't get to watch the games yesterday but generally speaking I think that both Michaels and Madden do a great job.  I think John Madden doesn't get enough credit for his insights because of his personality in the booth and the fact that he occassionally makes mistakes.  For years he carried Pat Summerall on CBS and Fox and breathed life into Summerall's nuts and bolts play by play style.  Al Michaels has been the class of the NFL play by play guys for years now and I think that he and Madden make a good pair. 

What other tandem does as good of a job or a better job than Michaels and Madden?  The MNF crew isn't very good at all and I can't think of any network announce teams that consistantly deliver like Michaels and Madden.

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

jorge76 wrote:
The Cusack wrote:

I didn't get to watch the games yesterday but generally speaking I think that both Michaels and Madden do a great job.  I think John Madden doesn't get enough credit for his insights because of his personality in the booth and the fact that he occassionally makes mistakes.  For years he carried Pat Summerall on CBS and Fox and breathed life into Summerall's nuts and bolts play by play style.  Al Michaels has been the class of the NFL play by play guys for years now and I think that he and Madden make a good pair. 

What other tandem does as good of a job or a better job than Michaels and Madden?  The MNF crew isn't very good at all and I can't think of any network announce teams that consistantly deliver like Michaels and Madden.

I totally agree with what you said about Michaels, there's nobody now who can touch him, and I'm not sure if there ever was.

I'm a flip-flopper when it comes to Madden though, just when I start to like him he says something that makes me want to toss something through the tv.

I still remember this exchange from a few years ago:

Michaels: He had all kinds of time to throw that ball.
Madden:  Yeah, the key word there is "all kinds of time".

Given, it's live tv and they don't have the luxury of a script, so dumb things will come out from time to time, but they happen A LOT with Maddden.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

One thing I always hated about Madden is how he is a bandwagon jumper. In the 80's his team was the 49ers, in the early/mid 90's Dallas, late 90's the Packers, list goes on and on. Whichever team is winning is who he likes. I know alot of people do that, even other broadcasters, but Madden is so blatant about it and its nerve wracking. I haven't liked him since the 80's, and the way he was practically giving Aikman blowjobs from 92-95 was vomit inducing. Since then I have had no desire to listen to him during a game. Then when Dallas started to slide, he jumped on Favre's crotch. Pathetic.

I do agree about Michaels being one of the all time greats.

About the Giants-Bucs game, that Giants drive to start the 4th quarter was a killer. Up by 10 already, and they took 8 minutes off the clock and then scored a TD. That was huge. If they can play like that next week, they'll upset Dallas.

Gunslinger
 Rep: 88 

Gunslinger wrote:
Jameslofton wrote:

About the Giants-Bucs game, that Giants drive to start the 4th quarter was a killer. Up by 10 already, and they took 8 minutes off the clock and then scored a TD. That was huge. If they can play like that next week, they'll upset Dallas.

That would be great.  Anybody but Dallas!

The Cusack

The Cusack wrote:
jorge76 wrote:

I'm a flip-flopper when it comes to Madden though, just when I start to like him he says something that makes me want to toss something through the tv.

I still remember this exchange from a few years ago:

Michaels: He had all kinds of time to throw that ball.
Madden:  Yeah, the key word there is "all kinds of time".

Given, it's live tv and they don't have the luxury of a script, so dumb things will come out from time to time, but they happen A LOT with Maddden.

This is one of the things I like about Madden actually.  It's entertaining to me to hear him say stuff like that.

Jameslofton wrote:

One thing I always hated about Madden is how he is a bandwagon jumper. In the 80's his team was the 49ers, in the early/mid 90's Dallas, late 90's the Packers, list goes on and on. Whichever team is winning is who he likes. I know alot of people do that, even other broadcasters, but Madden is so blatant about it and its nerve wracking. I haven't liked him since the 80's, and the way he was practically giving Aikman blowjobs from 92-95 was vomit inducing. Since then I have had no desire to listen to him during a game. Then when Dallas started to slide, he jumped on Favre's crotch. Pathetic.

I hated the 49ers and Cowboys but I understood why he came across that way.  As the lead announce team for CBS and Fox, Summerall and Madden were assigned to cover the best teams in the NFC year in and year out so they were close to those teams during their prime.  Madden is a football guy through and through and when you're watching the best team in football live and in person week after week, getting to meet the players, etc, etc it's not hard to get to like the team, players and organization, especially when those guys know you as a Super Bowl winning coach and the best color analyst in the business.  Another reason I Madden was so blatant about liking those teams is that it helped sell those teams to the casual viewer and helped hook them in.  When I first started watching football as a kid, I hung on the words of the commentators in order to understand the game and the league.  I take a lot of that for granted now but when I was a kid, guys like Summerall, Madden, Dick Enberg and Merlin Olsen made it easy to appreciate the teams I was watching by being more insightful than just explaining the Xs and Os.  They really brought the teams and players to life while explaining what was going on during the game in such a way that a kid could understand that.  I'm 36 now and I sometimes forget when I'm listening to one of these guys "over simplify" something or ramble on about something aside from the game that they're doing it for the casual or inexperienced viewer and not for me.   

James

James wrote:

Yeah, good points about being geared more towards casual fans. Maybe thats why he always got on my nerves.

This Chargers-Titans game is ugly. 6-0 at the half, and the Chargers look terrible. My grandma would have more rushing yards than LT has at this point. Gates may be out the rest of the game with a foot injury, so we may definitely see an upset. Rivers is NOT the QB for that team. He cant handle pressure and cannot manage a game.

The Cusack

The Cusack wrote:

To put it in GnR terms, I sort of think of Madden as the Slash of color commentary.  He's not a perfect player and sometimes makes mistakes but he puts a lot of heart and personality into what he does and he's been able to create a bigger than life image out of it.

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

jorge76 wrote:
The Cusack wrote:

[I take a lot of that for granted now but when I was a kid, guys like Summerall, Madden, Dick Enberg and Merlin Olsen made it easy to appreciate the teams I was watching by being more insightful than just explaining the Xs and Os.  They really brought the teams and players to life while explaining what was going on during the game in such a way that a kid could understand that.  I'm 36 now and I sometimes forget when I'm listening to one of these guys "over simplify" something or ramble on about something aside from the game that they're doing it for the casual or inexperienced viewer and not for me.   
[/b][/color]

I've been trying to convince a friend of mine for years that he hates all color commentators for exactly the reason you just said.  He won't listen to me though. 

Actually, I just saw my biggest pet peeve during football.  When the official says- "False Start, on the offense." or "False Start, prior to the snap"

I'd like to see the defense false start after the snap.  It'd surprize me though.

That drives me fucking crazy.

James

James wrote:

Chargers managed to get a victory. They're going to get slaughtered in Indianapolis.

Next week's games are now set:

Chargers vs Colts

Seahawks vs Packers

Giants vs Cowboys

Jaguars vs Patriots

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

Giants looked really good today, and eli was stellar

Chargers looked pretty mediocre in the first half and the loss of Gates is huge sad

anyway they dominated the second half and they finally won a playoff game...i wonder if the flood gates will open

next week

Jax @ NE
SD @ Ind
Sea @ GB
NYG @ Dal

every game could go either way, thats a damn good divisional final yikes

Board footer