You are not logged in. Please register or login.

The Cusack
 Rep: 1 

Re: The NFL 2007-08 Season thread

The Cusack wrote:
Jameslofton wrote:
NY Giants82 wrote:
Jameslofton wrote:

I can imagine a possible upset of Dallas, but Green Bay or Seattle? Not likely. Its very tough to enter the playoffs as a wild card team and win 3 games on the road to get to the SB. There's a reason its only happened a handful of times. It takes something special to do it.

Yep, its unlikely. But if they get on a roll, who knows. I believe the 2005 Steelers are the only wild card team to go on the road the whole way, to the Super Bowl.

84 Raiders, 93 Bills, and 00 Ravens did it, two of them winning the SB.

Its possible, just not likely. I'm not saying that just because its the Giants. If the Pats were in the same position, I would say the same thing. Its really hard to win 3 games in a playoff atmosphere in the underdog position.

Also the 1985 Patriots.  BTW that was the 1983 Raiders.  1984 was the year that Dan Marino passed for 5,004 yards and took the Dolphins to the Super Bowl. 

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I've did a lot of drugs over the years. I'm known to get years wrong from time to time.:haha:

The Cusack

The Cusack wrote:
Jameslofton wrote:

I've did a lot of drugs over the years. I'm known to get years wrong from time to time.:haha:

I've been an NFL fan for 27 years now and I've watched NFL Films on a regular basis for most of that time.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

Joe Gibbs resigns as coach of Washington Redskins

By JOSEPH WHITE, AP Sports Writer
January 8, 2008

WASHINGTON (AP) -- After the toughest season of his Hall of Fame career, one that tested his leadership like never before, Joe Gibbs is stepping down.

He resigned as coach and team president of the Washington Redskins on Tuesday, three days after a playoff loss ended an inspirational late-season run that followed the death of safety Sean Taylor.

Gibbs will remain as a special adviser to owner Dan Snyder and was to discuss his resignation at an afternoon news conference at Redskins Park.

The Redskins will search for a new coach immediately. Among the certain candidates are two former head coaches on Gibbs' staff, Gregg Williams and Al Saunders. The new coach will be the sixth since Snyder bought the team in 1999.

Gibbs went 31-36, including 1-2 in the playoffs, after emerging from NFL retirement and his NASCAR career to sign a five-year, $27.5 million contract in 2004. He had always maintained he intended to fulfill the contract, but the 67-year-old coach wavered from that stance Monday when asked if he would return for the final year of his deal.

Gibbs' resignation brings an apparent end to a coaching career in which he twice raised the Redskins from mediocrity into a playoff team, although he failed in his goal of bringing the team back to the Super Bowl during his second stint in Washington. Gibbs won three NFL titles during his first stint from 1981-92; the second time he took the team to the postseason in two of his four seasons.

His decision to leave follows perhaps the best coaching performance of his career. After the death of the Taylor on Nov. 27, the Redskins lost a game to Buffalo in which Gibbs was flagged for a vital 15-yard penalty for trying to call back-to-back timeouts in the final moments. Gibbs said he wasn't aware of the rule, giving more fodder to the argument that his game management skills had waned.

But, following Taylor's funeral, Gibbs and his team rallied to win won the final four regular-season games, going from 5-7 to 9-7 to claim the final playoff berth in the NFC. The emotional run ended Saturday, when the Redskins lost 35-14 at Seattle in the wild-card playoffs.

"It was the toughest (season) for me," Gibbs said Monday. "When you go through a season like that, for a while it's kind of hard to regrasp reality."

Gibbs has also endured a personal crisis for a year. One of his grandsons, Taylor, was diagnosed with leukemia last January at age 2. Gibbs frequently talks lovingly about his "grandbabies," and he made an overnight trip to North Carolina on Sunday to be with his family, interrupting the postseason routine of meetings that usually follow the final game of the season.

Still, for much of the season, Gibbs seemed intent on returning to coach. Players and coaches said publicly and privately over the last week that they would be shocked if he didn't stay on to finish the job. Last month, he said he would be open to discussing a contract extension so that he would not return next season as a lame-duck coach.

At a news conference Monday, Gibbs spoke about plans for next season -- the team's approach to free agency, offseason workouts and the possibility of an open quarterback competition at training camp -- as if he were going to remain on the sidelines. However, he hedged when asked if he would definitely be back, saying it would hinge on his meeting Monday night with Snyder.

"Everybody's situation will be taken into context here -- including mine, and my future here and all that," Gibbs said Monday.

Gibbs went 124-60 during the regular season and 16-5 during the playoffs during his first term with the Redskins. He won Super Bowls following the 1981, 1987 and 1991 seasons with three different quarterbacks.

Having said repeatedly that he did not intend to coach again, Gibbs was inducted in the Hall of Fame in 1996. Snyder lured him out of retirement four years ago to rescue a franchise that had floundered for more than a decade, having made only one playoff appearance since Gibbs' first retirement.

Gibbs' last four years were down-and-up, down-and-up. He had his two worst seasons as a coach -- 6-10 in 2004 and 5-11 in 2006 -- but he also led the Redskins to the playoffs with late runs in 2005 and 2007.

His final career totals: 171-101, including 17-7 in the playoffs, a career .629 winning percentage that ranks third all-time behind George Halas and Don Shula among coaches with more than 125 wins.

James

James wrote:

He needed to be put out to pasture. He's a relic of the 70's-80's. Couldn't adapt to 21st century football.

The Cusack

The Cusack wrote:
Jameslofton wrote:

He needed to be put out to pasture. He's a relic of the 70's-80's. Couldn't adapt to 21st century football.

I tend to disagree.  He's better than over 50% of the head coaches in the NFL right now and he looked to have the Redskins turned around towards the end of the season.  I would like to have seen what he could do with one more season.

James

James wrote:
The Cusack wrote:
Jameslofton wrote:

I tend to disagree.  He's better than over 50% of the head coaches in the NFL right now and he looked to have the Redskins turned around towards the end of the season.  I would like to have seen what he could do with one more season.

For nostalgic purposes, I would agree. I am not a Skins fan, but was intrigued when he came back.

I just don't think his heart was in it anymore. The NFL is a lot different than it was during his prime.

Skins gonna have a rough off season. I was watching a segment about Gibbs earlier, and they mentioned the Skins are gonna be 23 million over the salary cap.

Either a few high profile players are gonna have to restructure their contracts, or some people are gonna have to go.

Either way, they are not going to be major players on the free agent market this year.

The Cusack

The Cusack wrote:
Jameslofton wrote:

Skins gonna have a rough off season. I was watching a segment about Gibbs earlier, and they mentioned the Skins are gonna be 23 million over the salary cap.

This is why he left and I can't say that I blame him.  He'd basically have to dismantle the team and rebuild around a few players he could afford to keep and that's not feasible for a man his age.  Gibbs had to "win now" with the team he had and there's no way he could do that next season if the team was going to be taken apart.  I can't say I blame him at all for wanting to leave for this reason alone.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
Jameslofton wrote:

That's more the owner though, Dan Snyder ALWAYS gives ridiculous contracts to aging or not-so-good players. Remember he signed Adam Archuleta to about 6mil/year & he ended up as a backup by last years end. Anyway, Q I think you're right, this had something to do with him not coming back. Too much BS & rebuilding for just 1 more year. He did a good job there, put the franchise back in the playoffs. They've been terrible under Snyder.

NY Giants82
 Rep: 26 

NY Giants82 wrote:

Gibbs' grandson has leukemia. That is why he left, I'm sure.

I still cant get out of my head the game against Buffalo where he called two timeouts consecutively.

Board footer