You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: Bob Lefsetz: Best Buy Deal confirmed/Azoff response to leaks

Axlin16 wrote:
sic. wrote:

If you ask me, Azoff's quite obviously forcing everyone's hand in meeting the November release date.

The Dr Pepper thing send out a signal that GNR is enthusiastic over a 2008 release.

Shackler was put out to secure the Big Box deal.

The Big Box deal is apparently now in place so that Universal can feel comfortable in finishing the negotiations with GNR and putting the album out.

And Neemo, you're definitely on the mark with the 8 weeks. Uni needs to say yes very soon, or this may still get ugly. But Azoff's got some big deals in his pocket in regards to CD, and Uni may realize that this is their last chance to get some money back.

What Big Box deal??!?!?!

Bright Eyes 2005
 Rep: 27 

sic. wrote:

If you ask me, Azoff's quite obviously forcing everyone's hand in meeting the November release date.

The Dr Pepper thing send out a signal that GNR is enthusiastic over a 2008 release.

The Big Box deal is apparently now in place so that Universal can feel comfortable in finishing the negotiations with GNR and putting the album out.

And Neemo, you're definitely on the mark with the 8 weeks. Uni needs to say yes very soon, or this may still get ugly. But Azoff's got some big deals in his pocket in regards to CD, and Uni may realize that this is their last chance to get some money back.

If the Best Buy deal was inked, then Universal has already agreed, as the deal is between Universal and Best Buy.  I assume, the "big box" deal is aka "Best Buy" deal.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

Best Buy Snags Guns N' Roses Album Exclusive

September 26, 2008 , 3:10 PM ET

Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

Best Buy will be the exclusive retailer for Guns N' Roses decade-plus-in-the-making new album "Chinese Democracy" before year's end, sources close to the situation tell Billboard. Some details of the deal are still being worked out, including the release date.

The news brings a semblance of closure to the bizarre history of "Democracy," which Guns N' Roses has been working on since the mid-1990s. Since then, every original member of the once mighty group has left besides vocalist Axl Rose, and millions of dollars have been spent working on the new material.

"Democracy" was most recently on the Interscope release schedule in March 2007. The endless delays encountered by the project reached comic levels this spring, when soft drink manufacturer Dr Pepper offered to send a free can of the beverage to "everyone in America" (excluding ex-GNR members Slash and Buckethead) if "Chinese Democracy" were to arrive anytime during the calendar year 2008.

In June, nine purported "mastered, finished" tracks from the album were leaked online, prompting an FBI investigation into their source. A sign "Chinese Democracy" was perhaps finally nearing release came in July, when the band agreed to debut new track "Shackler's Revenge" in the video game "Rock Band 2," which hit stores earlier this month.

Guns N' Roses is now managed by Irving Azoff's Front Line Management, and Azoff is a well-known proponent of issuing albums exclusively through retailers. He released the Eagles' "Long Road Out of Eden" through Wal-Mart in 2007, much to the chagrin of other merchants, but the album was a runaway hit, having sold 3.1 million copies in the United States, according to Nielsen SoundScan.

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/art … 1003855688

thanks to funkymonkey @ htgth

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:
Bright Eyes 2005 wrote:
sic. wrote:

If the Best Buy deal was inked, then Universal has already agreed, as the deal is between Universal and Best Buy.  I assume, the "big box" deal is aka "Best Buy" deal.

If that's the case, can someone please explain?

Neemo

Neemo wrote:

this is gaining steam if billboard is reporting it...kinda troubling that a release schedule is still being worked on

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:
Neemo wrote:

this is gaining steam if billboard is reporting it...kinda troubling that a release schedule is still being worked on

I ended up quoting what I was actually talking about.

As for your post, the whole thing on the release schedule being worked out could be a variety of things. 1) Billboard can't confirm, because NO announcment... or 2) There is a box set or a fast-track release schedule being worked for future albums, and the deal has yet to be finalized.

Neemo

Neemo wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

If that's the case, can someone please explain?

explain what?

big box is aanother name for corporate chain stores like best buy and home depot and walmart...etc etc

universal was looking for a way to move units ...when these stores get albums  they buy them all and then the profit from the sale of them goes directly into the big box coffers...the profits from the original bulk sale to best buy will go immediately to universal so they dont have to wait for their cash they can get their $$$ right away instead of waiting for all the little people to buy it from the record stores

thats how these stores make money they buy a massive amount at a big discount then turn a profit on a markup...for instance mom and pop may buy 20 cds for $10 each.....bestbuy will turn around and buy 1000 @ $8 each....then mom and pop sell for $15 and make $5 per...best buy sells at $13 and makes the same profit.....so they undercut the small guy but still make the same coin ..... or somethign like that anyway...i dunno how it really works but thats the gist from what i understand

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Since when do retailers call themselves 'big box'?

WTF?

*thanks for explaining tho

Acquiesce
 Rep: 30 

Acquiesce wrote:
Neemo wrote:

thats how these stores make money they buy a massive amount at a big discount then turn a profit on a markup...for instance mom and pop may buy 20 cds for $10 each.....bestbuy will turn around and buy 1000 @ $8 each....then mom and pop sell for $15 and make $5 per...best buy sells at $13 and makes the same profit.....so they undercut the small guy but still make the same coin ..... or somethign like that anyway...i dunno how it really works but thats the gist from what i understand

I believe big box retailers like Best Buy use cds as loss leaders. They set the prices low enough ($9.99) that they actually lose a bit of money, but they do it to lure people in their store in hopes they purchase other items. It's why traditional record store chains and mom and pop stores can't keep up with them. They can't price them as loss leaders because the music is their main source of profit.

Though your description is how Walmart and Best Buy generally operate with their regular merchandise.

Axlin08 wrote:

Since when do retailers call themselves 'big box'?

They are usually referred to as big box retailers in the media.

Board footer