You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Re: Bob Lefsetz: Best Buy Deal confirmed/Azoff response to leaks

Aussie wrote:

I can't say I have heard too many reviews that were this negative on the UYI stuff.  Sure there are the people that say "if it was only one album of the best stuff" it would be the greatest album, implying there is a lot of crap in there.  Then there is the over produced argument etc.  But for this guy to totally write off the UYI stuff he has really gone out on a limb I would have thought.

As for the TSI stuff I've never understood the hate either.  Take it for what is, a whole heap of covers of songs that the band really liked, grew up listening to and liked to play.  So they wanted to "wipe the slate clean" (I think that's what someone - Duff said?) to record all these songs that had been floating around.

Do people bash it because they never heard most of the songs or if they did they didn't like the originals anyhow??  I don't get it.  IMO it wasn't supposed to be a real guns record like the others - more of a stop gap.  But then people point to its comparatively lower sales and less mainstream popularity and call it a disaster etc.  I never understood that.

Dreamline
 Rep: 64 

Dreamline wrote:

Obviously AFD is a classic, a monster record, and one of my all-time favorites.  But, I'd even go as far as to say that I like the Illusions better because of the variety of styles those songs have.  So, I definitely have never understood any bashing of those albums.  Are there a few songs on there that I'm not totally wild about?  Sure.  But that goes for just about any other album I've ever heard too.

Captain Winkler
 Rep: -17 

monkeychow and aussie i totally agree. i've never understood the UYI hate, although those who hate on it are traditionally not very well informed, such as bloggers like this guy. professional reviews were generally positive 4/5 4.5/5 and even 5 stars in some cases. in reality the albums also sold amazingly too, both certified 7x platinum in the U.S, so as a combined figure its 14 million in the U.S alone, does that not rival Appetite? The quality, musical-prowess and artistic-experimentation on UYI blows Appetite out of the water, in fact the UYI albums contain some of GNR's best work, if not their best song(coma). i think it is the large amount of 'filler', or perhaps the sheer length of the album that detractors exploit, that being said, i doubt those who bash UYI have actually ever heard it.
the same applies to TSI, despite the fact that it was a cover album, and released in the wake of the grunge/alternative anti-rockstar explosion, the album itself reputedly sold 2 million in the U.S and grossed a worldwide total of 5 million, not bad for a cover album released after bands like GNR were apparently dubbed 'uncool', which is an obvious falsity, exaggerated by nirvana and grunge lovers, or GNR detractors.

Captain Winkler

also, what the fuck is with suggesting Axl start performing political or anti-establishment rants on stage? since when does that restore your 'street cred', that is absurd. GNR were never overly anti-establishment(bar civil war) in their lyrics or their attitude, they signed with the biggest record company available to them at the time, sold amazingly, and were never overly-political. if Axl began ranting about the oil crisis, iraq war etc. people wouldn't suddenly recognise him as some anti-establishment rock star preacher, rather  they'd just be like "wtf is he talking about, the motherfucker lives in a mansion in Malibu".

that being said, whenever any rockstar/celebrity starts preaching anti-establishment propaganda it always comes off as a facade to me, and generally always is. even John Lydon ofthe sex-pistols, the supposed antithesis of the establishment, does reality tv shows now, its kinda pathetic.

the best thing axl could do to restore his street cred, if he ever lost any in the first place, would be to be himself. hes always possessed that 'fuck you' attitude, whether it be giving harley the big 'FU" for leaking the ad, or not pandering to dr. pepper, diving off the stage to attack a bikey, canceling shows, turning up late etc. if he started attempting to be some sort of political advocate, it wouldn't restore his street cred, it would demolish it.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

I don't understand this street cred debate. GN'R lost it a long time ago, in the UYI era with videos that cost 5 million bucks and having backup singers, horns, limos etc. Since I Don't Have you and the tired millionaires versions of punk songs were the last nails. It's hard to get street cred, when you spent more than 14 millions to your album, live in Malibu, drive Lamborghinis and tour the world with an AFD tribute show in every 4 years. The crazy genius would be a better fit for Axl, as an image, but after the leaks, nobody expects the second coming, just wanna get through it.

-Jack-
 Rep: 39 

-Jack- wrote:

I'm sorry, but I have to agree with James here. They need to drop this album for free with some huge marketer like Coke/Pepsi, etc.

And for people pissed at the article, he's only stating the facts. Why make excuses for Axl and the band? Who cares if he bashed the UYI/TSI? That's what most normal people think about the albums. We may not (I love both UYI to death) but saying "no! they were awesome really!" isn't going to change the public's perception of the albums.

The guy knows what he is talking about, clearly. Even if we don't agree as GNR diehards

Sky Dog wrote:

he is not stating any facts, he is giving ONE man's opinion.

Captain Winkler

publics perception of the album? the public don't have a perception of UYI

Captain Winkler

and if the public do have a perception of them, its nothing more than "whats UYI?". "oh so november rain is on that? oh and knockin on heavens door? woh YCBM too? must've been pretty good then"

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:
-Jack- wrote:

And for people pissed at the article, he's only stating the facts. Why make excuses for Axl and the band? Who cares if he bashed the UYI/TSI? That's what most normal people think about the albums. We may not (I love both UYI to death) but saying "no! they were awesome really!" isn't going to change the public's perception of the albums.

The guy knows what he is talking about, clearly. Even if we don't agree as GNR diehards

Which thread are you reading?  I didn't see anybody "pissed" at the article.  I saw people (myself included) that disagreed with parts of what the guy was saying and had a different opinion.  We were discussing the article.

I can't say I read anyone making excuses for Axl either either.

It's your opinion that the guy knows what he is talking about.  I think he and you are wrong when you say the UYI albums are shit.  I also believe most music critics who actually "Know what they're talking about" would also disagree with you.

Board footer