You are not logged in. Please register or login.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

Re: 2008 NFL season

PaSnow wrote:

It was very similar to Brady. knee injury, early on in the game, it was against GB. At GB if i recall correctly. Back when the Birds defense was great with Reggie White, Seth Joyner, Clyde Simmons.

They had Jim McMahon as the  backup, until he got hurt a few weeks later. Then they were picking up a bunch of former players who all kept also getting hurt. One was a former Jets QB who was working in construction.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

I think the Big 3 in the AFC (NE, Indy, SD) are going downhill. I'd bet only 1 makes the playoffs. Probably Indy even though they lost last night. Cinci looks bad too, CLE has a tough schedule ahead & needs to prove alot in the first 3-4 weeks. Pitt looks tough.

In the NFC the biggest shocker was ATL. Surprised both Ryan & Flocco (Balt) started at QB & played pretty well.

While I don't wish injury on anybody, I would like to see someone run up the score on Belicheck. I recall he did it a few times last year, esp against Wash & Joe Gibbs.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I never ranked SD as the big anything. That team has always had tons of ups and downs, mostly downs. Chargers franchise has never been consistent.

Brady going out definitely changes things. It would be like Jordan getting injured in 92. What would be a virtual lock now puts even losing teams in play.

AFC will probably be like the NFC was last year. A total crap shoot. Like you said, we'll know in about a month which direction these teams are going.

I pray to God that Orton can go on a win streak in Chicago like he did a few years back. He was horrific, but they won with him. Don't remember the duration of the streak, but it was like 10 games.

Hell, a streak like that would guarantee a playoff spot in 2008.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

its only week one....i dont think that any predictions can be made at this point...anything can happen...when is brady's mri scheduled?

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

Brady's MRI is scheduled for sometime today, but it certainly looks like it's his ACL, and possibly worse, could be MCL too.  He's most likely done for the year, for sure.  I wouldn't be so quick to bury the Pats though.  They do have a weak schedule and they still have PLENTY of talent on their roster.  Sure they lost the best player in the league, but I'm also sure that the team will rally around this.  They've always done so in the past.  Players will elevate their games to a different level.  I still think they're a LOCK for the playoffs.  10-6 is a respectable prediction in my mind. 

And CC, football is a dirty game.  We're not playing tiddly winks here.  Cheap shots happen all the time in every game.  EVERY team has "dirty" players.  To single out the Patriots is ridiculous in saying they're a dirty team.  If you're not a dirty team, you're a bad team, bottom line.  You've got to play with an edge.  I understand the hatred for the Patriots.  Everybody hates a winner.  I don't think I've ever taken the stance where I wished players injuries though.  I hate the Yankees, but I've never been gleeful over Mariano Rivera getting injured.  So if it makes you happy to wish cancer on Bill Belichick, then so be it.  I choose not to take that route.

This certainly makes the season a lot more interesting.  We'll see what happens.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

That Favre bomb was a beauty, James. The rest of the game was mediocre until the drama at the end.

I'm not counting out the Browns yet. The Cowboys are good. Losing to them isn't a horrible sign.

Indy is interesting. I still think they make the playoffs, but the years of 13-3 records are over.

I'm with the Jets in the AFC. Vikings in NFC.

Dolphins are still horrid, but Cincy could be worse.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

faldor wrote:

And CC, football is a dirty game.  We're not playing tiddly winks here.  Cheap shots happen all the time in every game.  EVERY team has "dirty" players.  To single out the Patriots is ridiculous in saying they're a dirty team.  If you're not a dirty team, you're a bad team, bottom line.  You've got to play with an edge.  I understand the hatred for the Patriots.  Everybody hates a winner.  I don't think I've ever taken the stance where I wished players injuries though.  I hate the Yankees, but I've never been gleeful over Mariano Rivera getting injured.  So if it makes you happy to wish cancer on Bill Belichick, then so be it.  I choose not to take that route.

This certainly makes the season a lot more interesting.  We'll see what happens.

They're dirty beyond hits. They cheat, they break NFL rules, and they have no respect for any other team, player, or coach int he league (last year Belicheck wouldn't shake hands). They hire players that used to be on their opponent of the week, get some playbook from them, and cut them. They actively seek out players with a history of behavioral problems and dirty hitting (ie Harrison, Lynch who they ended up cutting, Seau) and allow obvious roiders to remain on the team as leaders (Bruschi). They're the Cowboys of the AFC.

Good teams can be put together without dirty players. Look at Bill Polian. He has ALWAYS looked at character in drafts and deals, and put together two amazing teams (early 90s Bills, Manning's Colts) with little to no dirty shot problems. Admittedly, the Bills back then did have some troubles that way, Bruce Smith and a couple line-backers would hit the QB when they could, and Andre Reed and Steve Tasker had a temper, but it wasn't like the Patriots. They didn't bring in free agents that were dirty, the coach was extremely professional and respectful, and they didn't slide elbows into QB's knees. Colts have had virtually no behavioral problems with their great teams.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

Green Bay looked pretty damn good with Rodgers at QB. They stopped a team many think could go to the Super Bowl in the Vikings.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
Communist China wrote:

Colts have had virtually no behavioral problems with their great teams.

well Manning likes to cry when he loses 16

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Communist China wrote:
faldor wrote:

They're dirty beyond hits. They cheat, they break NFL rules, and they have no respect for any other team, player, or coach int he league (last year Belicheck wouldn't shake hands). They hire players that used to be on their opponent of the week, get some playbook from them, and cut them. They actively seek out players with a history of behavioral problems and dirty hitting (ie Harrison, Lynch who they ended up cutting, Seau) and allow obvious roiders to remain on the team as leaders (Bruschi). They're the Cowboys of the AFC.

Good teams can be put together without dirty players. Look at Bill Polian. He has ALWAYS looked at character in drafts and deals, and put together two amazing teams (early 90s Bills, Manning's Colts) with little to no dirty shot problems. Admittedly, the Bills back then did have some troubles that way, Bruce Smith and a couple line-backers would hit the QB when they could, and Andre Reed and Steve Tasker had a temper, but it wasn't like the Patriots. They didn't bring in free agents that were dirty, the coach was extremely professional and respectful, and they didn't slide elbows into QB's knees. Colts have had virtually no behavioral problems with their great teams.

Wow, you're making a lot of assumptions there with little to no proof.  Bruschi is a known steroid user?  Maybe in your circle of friends, I don't think there's ever been any proof of that though.  You dig up the documents though if you've got them.  Signing players of opponents and then cutting them the next week?  Name me one time they did that.  They had Keith Byars on their team years ago who knew the Dolphins audibles from his time with them.  A) If you're not smart enough to change the offensive audibles when you know a guy on the other team knows them, you deserve to lose.  Dave Wannstadt was a pretty good loser.  B) They didn't cut Keith Byars the next week.  He played the rest of the season for them.  I think Harrison is overrated as a DIRTY player, but he was voted the dirtiest so I may have trouble defending that.  I never considered Junior Seau dirty, but whatever.  Belichick, while he appears to be a dick to the media and such, has a great deal of respect for the game of football and the rest of the coaching fraternity.  He has high praise for Mike Shanahan in particular.

You hate the Patriots because they're good, I get it.  So every little thing they do is amplified.  You should be complaining more about teams like the Cincinatti Bengals, who have some serious bad moral character issues.  Maybe the Ravens, wasn't one of their guys up on murder charges once?  There are guys who've done much more terrible things than the Patriot players you mentioned.  Spygate, fine, you wanna bitch about that you're entitled, but don't make accusations and state them as fact.

Board footer