You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Acquiesce
 Rep: 30 

Re: New GNR vs old GNR/ GNR vs Velvet Revolver thread

Acquiesce wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

I have seriously considered removing the VR section because no one uses it and the only time people want to talk about VR is in the GNR section when something CD related happens. If VR fans refuse to post in a VR section, the section is worthless.

Well in all fairness there's not a lot to discuss in the VR world until they find a new singer or until Slash releases his solo album. Whichever happens first. smile

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
russtcb wrote:

I don't understand what's wrong with all old vs new discussions going here.

Because every discussion is an old vs new, or at least it becomes one at some point and time.  And most of the time, it's a new fan that starts it, then cries when the old fan responds.  So how does the new fan stop it?  By forcing old fans to post in a thread off the beaten path to comments made by new fans in a main thread.  Yeah, that's fair.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

It's not that simple James.  The discussions in the "CD" section start as CD discussions and migrate into more than that.  It's natural.  I know I NEVER have gone into a thread in that section with the intention of bringing up the old band and while I may respond to comments others make, you'd be hard pressed to find a time where I started the discussion down that path.  I don't start those discussions, but if I have something to say, I'm going to say it.

So now I'm in the "CD" section and I have a response to what someone said.  I'm supposed to take that response and make it in another thread in another part of the forum even though it's completely relevant to the discussion currently taking place in the "CD" thread?  Think this through...this is not the solution.  It didn't work at the other site and it isn't going to work here.  Don't tell me I didn't try it - I probably had the most posts in that thread in the old forum, and not because they were moved there.

There's a huge difference in a discussion morphing into something and a thread hijack. For example, lets say there's a thread about The Blues. It mainly concentrates on Finck or some other contribution, and then someone brings up how the track would have fit on UYI II. Then you get some responses to that and the thread moves on. That is "natural" and there's no problem with it.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, you have a thread that's discussing the latest leaks. That discussion is flowing well until we are informed that Shotgun Blues, Bad Apples,etc. shit all over these leaks and that Axl is nothing without Slash. That starts a chain reaction of pages of arguing.

That's a thread hijack any way you slice it. The last time I checked, Shotgun Blues had nothing to do with Chinese Democracy, and any bold statements such as Axl is nothing without Slash is flame bait pure and simple and meant to just get a rise out of people. Its not meant to encourage lively debate.

People shouldn't be forced to separate the wheat from the chaff in the CD section just to read something CD related.

Eliminate the VR area and add it to the Former GnR section.  Create a sub board to the former GnR area.

This has been considered, but this particular forum design does not have sub boards as a default setting, and the codes conflict with other things we have here. downliner is working on a solution to that.

I just mean it seems there is always a small handful of fans that react negatively to anyone who isn't really enthusiastic about the new material which I think is unfair. In this debate we had fans telling others that they are actually being dishonest with their feelings and simply dislike it because it doesn't feature Slash on it. I just thought that was ridiculous.

Fair point there, and I agree that type of thinking is a bit over the top. People can like what they like regardless of who's on it. I've noticed one thing though....those types of comments are usually a retort to the "Slash rules" philosophy.

I agree if someone is just here to bash the band then that doesn't have a place here, but like I said it is only natural for the fans to compare the old vs the new. It's what fans do. It would happen even if the original band recorded CD. I agree if someone is just going to talk about how good Slash was almost 20 years ago that is a  silly, but I don't see the offense if someone is saying they don't feel the material is on par with the classics. I'm sure when the album is released people will want to rank the albums to see how it stacks up against the other albums. Like I said that's what fans do. I'm a big Oasis fan and I know one of the very first discussions with each new release is how the new album stacks up against the previous releases.

Well like in my comments above, I don't think anyone has issues with a discussion that takes a natural progression where different lineups are mentioned. Example would be after CD is released  people discussing the promotion leading up to release. Then the promotion of UYI is brought into the discussion, and of course that point is valid.

What isn't valid is someone telling us that Get in the Ring has more balls than Riyadh, Tommy sucks compared to Duff, or some nonsense like that meant to cause a reaction. They can make those types of statements in this section.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

It's not easy to moderate this thing since let's say somebody writes that Nu-GN'R's songs have the best bass playing ever. Can it happen? Yes, it can. Is this opinion legit? Everyone's entitled to his/her opinion. Then another posters comes and says that wtf? This bass playing isn't any good, Duff was much better. Then we're right in the old vs. new debate, although what happaned is that someone was ontopic telling how much he liked the bass nd another poster was ontopic, cause he thought that the statement was wrong and told what he/she thinks. Then comes the 'Replacements were better than Guns N' Roses ever' debate etc. I think nobody on Earth (but Beta) has a solution for this.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
russtcb wrote:

Threads about new subjects should contain posts about new subjects no?

If the same people who derail every thread into an old vs. new debate are steered toward here everyone should be happy right?

Those who want to beat the same dead horse can do so here. Those who want to talk about new, fresh and exciting subjects would be allowed to do so as well.

See?  That is the problem right there.  You're making a completely incorrect assumption.

The people starting the problems are the fans of the new for the most part.  They make inflammatory comments and fans who prefer the old get bent out of shape about it (as they have the right to).  So they respond.  Or someone compares the old to the new in the way the thread dictates it should and a fan of the new gets bent out of shape because of that.  Then fans of the new start crying that someone hijacked their thread.  Get it? 

So the problem isn't the fans that prefer the old band, it's the fans of the new band that get all bent out of shape that someone had the nerve to respond to their inflammatory post.  This "solution" is rewarding the person causing the problem to begin with. 

Let's really look at this closely...how many fans that prefer the old band have gone into new band threads and STARTED the problems?  By STARTED, I mean actually made a post that had nothing to do with the thread in question AND wasn't a response to another post in the thread.  If you're going to start naming people, I'm going to assume you'll also back it up with proof.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

this whole argument in that thread started by someone saying that Axl sucks and that people want AFD 2 not somethign progressive...from there a comment was made that UYI was a big departure from AFD so that was cool then another comment said that UYI was all axls doing and the other guys had little to no affect on the ultimate sound then for me  the biggie was when i was told that slash's contributions on NR were pretty much insignificant and any guitarist coulda done that...

up until that point i was willing to let it go then a line was crossed 16

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

There's always the don't read it option - that should work for you.

Actually, that doesn't work when I want to talk "Best Buy leaks" after I've been away for a day or so and the conversation has morphed into old-vs.-new.

THAT'S the problem.

Locomotive98
 Rep: 17 

Locomotive98 wrote:
bigbri wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

There's always the don't read it option - that should work for you.

Actually, that doesn't work when I want to talk "Best Buy leaks" after I've been away for a day or so and the conversation has morphed into old-vs.-new.

THAT'S the problem.

Theres a 'Best Buy thread' thread in another part of the site btw.

The old vs new argument is more than relevant in this part of the site, hence the title.

Board footer