You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: IGN: Axl Needs To Go Solo

Rex wrote:

We all know Izzy and Axl were THE songwriters in GN'R.

To be fair, it can get confusing as to who was the primary songwriters in GnR.  Slash and Duff definitely contributed a lot.  I'd have to say Izzy/Axl/Slash/Duff were the "holy quartet" and in that order.  And Steven Adler probably contributed more than he's been given credit for.  Here's a recap of who wrote what (cover songs excluded)...

APPETITE FOR DESTRUCTION
Welcome To The Jungle (Rose/Slash/McKagan/Adler)
It's So Easy (McKagan/West Arkeen)
Nightrain (Rose/McKagan/Slash/Stradlin)
Out Ta Get Me (Rose/Stradlin/Slash)
Mr. Brownstone (Stradlin/Slash)
Paradise City (Rose/Slash/Stradlin/McKagan/Adler)
My Michelle (Rose/Stradlin)
Think About You (Stradlin)
Sweet Child O Mine (Rose/Slash/Stradlin/McKagan)
You're Crazy (Rose/Stradlin/Slash)
Anything Goes (Rose/Stradlin/Chris Webter)
Rocket Queen (Rose/Slash/McKagan)

GnR LIES
Reckless Life (Rose/Stradlin)
Move To The City (Stradlin/Del James/Chris Weber)
Patience (Stradlin)
Used To Love Her (Stradlin)
One In A Million (Rose)

USE YOUR ILLUSION I
Right Next Door To Hell (Rose/Stradlin)
Dust n Bones (Slash/Stradlin/McKagan)
Don't Cry (Rose/Stradlin)
Perfect Crime (Rose/Slash/Stradlin)
You Ain't The First (Stradlin)
Bad Obsession (Stradlin)
Back off Bitch (Rose/Paul Tobias)
Double Talkin Jive (Stradlin)
November Rain (Rose)
The Garden (Rose/Arkeen/James)
Garden of Eden (Rose/Slash)
Dont' Damn Me (Rose/Slash/Dave Lank)
Bad Apples (Rose/Slash/Stradlin/McKagan)
Dead Horse (Rose)
Coma (Rose/Slash)

USE YOUR ILLUSION II
Civil War (Rose/Slash/McKagan)
14 Years (Stradlin)
Yesterdays (Rose/Arkeen/James/Billy McCloud)
Get In The Ring (Rose/Slash/McKagan)
Shotgun Blues (Rose)
Breakdown (Rose)
Pretty Tied Up (Rose)
Locomotive (Rose/Slash)
So Fine (McKagan)
Estranegd (Rose)
You Could Be Mine (Stradlin)
My World (Rose)

NO. OF SONGWRITING CREDITS (out of 44 songs)
Axl Rose: 31
Slash:  17
Duff McKagan:  11
Izzy Stradlin:  23
Steven Adler:  2

Captain Winkler
 Rep: -17 

Mikkamakka wrote:
Rex wrote:

We all know Izzy and Axl were THE songwriters in GN'R.

Not exactly. They got most of the credit, but without Slash and Duff, it would have been Hollywood Rose II and they sucked.

yes i can see how you can make that assumption given hollywood rose's extensive musical catalog.....

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

Izzy's credited for Pretty Tied Up, and West Arkeen is co-writer of Bad Obsession. Reckless Life's credits varies, one of the sources says it's a Stradlin'/Webber/I-don't-know-who song, but Axl isn't mentioned.

Captain Winkler

gnrfan1987-present wrote:

The poster is getting a lot of flack in the comments section at GnR Daily.com

Quit blowing axl's balls..Some of you really make me sick..Chi Dem=Appetite? You have to be out of your mind..Chi Dem isn't on the same level as appetite or Use Your Illusions..

not to seem argumentative but who the fuck are you to tell me which one is better?
i love appetite and UYI, they're both classics in my mind and certainly in most rock music lover's minds. but quite frankly i don't want another appetite, i want something i haven't quite heard before, oh sure you can "oh SR is rob zombie and NIN" etc etc but GNR, for me at least, has always had their own brand of sound, sure, initially they were blues based hard rock, but they didn't sound anything like led zeppelin or aerosmith or the stones or hanoi rocks. that sound then evolved into UYI, which again sounds totally different to anything i had ever heard before. now they have evolved into what we have heard from chinese dem, and nothing has changed, their new songs are not comparative(sound wise)with any other contemporary act, there might be similarities but the caliber of musicians that has worked on the album, coupled with axl's influence and presence has made something new and unique once more.

sorry to go off on a tangent, but the point is: just because it sounds different doesn't make it inferior, at the moment i am enjoying the new songs more than the old, with exceptions from both era's of cause.

from what i have heard, i have no doubt that i will enjoy chinese democracy equally as much as appetite or UYI. maybe for the fact that no contemporary ROCK act is producing music anywhere near the level of the leaks i have heard, so axl benefits from the musical climate. or it might be the fact that so many people are doubting the album and i am willing it and wanting it o succeed even more.

at this very moment in time i am listening to and enjoying the leaksmore than most of GNR's old songs, maybe because they're newer? who knows but don't tell me appetite and UYI are automatically better, especially without having heard the full album.

i am not completely defending the leaks, there are certainly poor quality tracks that we have heard, but no guns album was free from imperfections, no album is. appetite has 2 or 3 weak tracks eg. anything goes, you're crazy, and UYI has its clunkers too, however the good far out way the bad, as is the case with the leaks.

wow i wrote far too much,
tldr: its your opinion that chinese democracy isnt as good as UYI or appetite, and certainly don't tell me i am out of my mind if i choose to think so.

Captain Winkler

OH SHIT, YOU WERE QUOTING SOMEONE WEREN'T YOU, I AM SORRY 19

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Captain Winkler wrote:

OH SHIT, YOU WERE QUOTING SOMEONE WEREN'T YOU, I AM SORRY 19

No worries.  I figured you were responding to that comment I copied and pasted.  You should post your response on the GnR Daily website.   There's been a debate going on there about the IGN article.

russtcb wrote:

I don't suppose Axl should take advice from a website that posted a positive then a negative review of SR within one week.

To be fair, a lot of IGN's posts are from various blogs written by music fans on the internet.  Some of the music reviews are positive, some negative.    But IGN doesn't actually write a lot of these articles.  They just host them on their website.  So that's why you get some inconsistency.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Didn't even read the entire article. That one guy over at IGN is a total Slashite.

When Axlites start to decree "Reunion", then i'll start taking it serious.

Acquiesce
 Rep: 30 

Acquiesce wrote:

It seems like people only want to read what they want to hear. Outside of the one mistake, it was a good article.

Board footer