You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: IGN: Axl Needs To Go Solo

http://music.ign.com/articles/914/914787p1.html

Axl Needs To Go Solo
It's high time that Mr. Rose dumped the GN'R mantle.

by Spence D.

September 30, 2008 - Axl Rose needs to let go of the past. He needs to drop the Guns N' Roses moniker because the name carries way too much baggage. In short, Axl Rose needs to go solo.

Yeah, you heard me right, I said: "Axl Rose needs to go solo."

You know it and I know it and I'd be willing to bet that way down deep in his heart Axl knows it, too. Let's face it, whatever current band configuration Rose is working with at the moment is not Guns N' Roses.

To hardcore fans (and rock 'n roll historians) GN'R was the sum of all of its first stable parts: Axl, Slash, Duff McKagan, Izzy Stradlin, and Steven Adler. Furthermore, GN'R's prime songwriting combo consisted of Rose, Slash (Saul Hudson), and Duff (Michael) McKagan. This was the "holy trio" who shared publishing rights on all of the GN'R material. But this is merely a legal definition of what Guns N' Roses was.

Granted the band began to morph considerably when Adler was fired in 1990 and replaced by Matt Sorum, plus the addition of keyboardist Dizzy Reed at the same time. GN'R continued to shift further with the departure of Stradlin in 1991, who was replaced by Gilby Clarke. Regardless of the myriad changes over the years, the fact remains that the core of Axl, Slash, Duff, Izzy, and Adler (as well as Sorum, who sat in on the UYI sessions after Adler's departure) recorded the bulk of the band's material: Appetite for Destruction, G N' R Lies, Use Your Illusion I, Use Your Illusion II.

Since the departure of Slash, Duff, and Sorum, Axl has switched members so many times that it's damn near impossible for all but the truly hardcore fans to figure out exactly who is and who isn't in Guns N' Roses at any given moment. But that's besides the point. Once the original members exited the band it should have ceased to be.

Look at it from this perspective: Hypothetically speaking, if Charlie Watts, Keith Richards, and Ron Wood left The Rolling Stones, leaving behind only Mick Jagger, the subsequent outfit Jagger formed would not be the Rolling Stones. Sure, it would make sense for Jagger to capitalize on the name, but the end result would be a band that wasn't the Rolling Stones. Moreover, Jagger (and company) have such name recognition that they wouldn't need to use the revered RS moniker anyway.

The same applies to Rose. Everybody in the free world knows who Axl Rose is. He has name recognition. As such he really doesn't need the Guns N' Roses moniker to sell his music. If anything, using GN'R adds undue tension in the form of microscopic attention to any of his musical proceedings. By labeling his music as being Guns N' Roses music Rose opens himself to all kinds of comparisons to the band's seminal material (namely Appetite For Destruction).

Granted, by virtue of his name alone, if Axl were to go solo, his output would still be held up to his previous work, but less so. Guns N' Roses has a distinct sound; the band carried on the traditions of such rebel outfits as the aforementioned Stones, Aerosmith, and other blues influenced, debauchery focused rock outfits. Axl Rose, however, would have more leeway by recording under his own name. Look at the average solo career of any high profile frontman in comparison.

For example, Chris Cornell shied away from his "standard" sound (i.e. that of either Soundgarden or Audioslave) on his solo albums. Why? Because he realized that each of those outfits had a distinct sound and he wanted to distinguish himself apart from them. The same can be said of Scott Weiland, whose solo material has been vastly different than the work he did with either Stone Temple Pilots or Velvet Revolver. If "Shacklers Revenge", as well as the various leaked tracks from Chinese Democracy, are any indication, Axl's slant these days is far removed from the quintessential GN'R sound.

Additionally, the simple fact that Axl hasn't maintained the same band for the past 14 years, instead constantly rotating drummers and guitarists, makes the music on the forthcoming Chinese Democracy appear like more of a solo venture than a true GN'R effort. There's nothing wrong with that other than the fact that Axl persists in calling himself Guns N' Roses, when in reality it's Axl backed by some high profile hired guns.

Axl, if you're listening, please consider dropping the Guns N' Roses name. It's confusing to fans, it's confusing to lay people, heck, and it's just pointless. We know who you are and it's high time you let go of the past and moved forward into the future. Let Guns N' Roses die a respectable death and let your solo career flourish from the ashes.

Will
 Rep: 227 

Will wrote:
gnrfan1987-present wrote:

GN'R's prime songwriting combo consisted of Rose, Slash (Saul Hudson), and Duff (Michael) McKagan. This was the "holy trio"

Didn't read past that line I'm afraid. Just don't agree with it and feel the rest of the article will either be poorly researched or filled with more of this guys own opinion.

Thanks for posting though 22

Rex
 Rep: 50 

Rex wrote:

We all know Izzy and Axl were THE songwriters in GN'R.

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

jimmythegent wrote:

Well I guess you could say this is pretty much stating the obvious, but my question would be, if Axl were going to do this, why would he suddenly do an about-face right now?

Just speculating, but i'm thinking one of the key reasons this thing has been delayed again and again in recent years, is because management and the record company are trying to formulate the perfect way to release this so as to give Axl an 'out' if you were. A way in which Axl can save face, have a guaranteed 'success' while still leaving the door open to a reunion, keeping the legacy in tact and most importantly, not diminishing or weakening the legacy and thus back catalogue sales. The Best Buy thing seems to add creedance to this theory.

Releasing CD as a solo venture or something similar would seem logical from this perspective, as would James' theory of marketing it in a NIN-type way - where Axl is GN'R and there is no touring or videos etc... to point out to Joe Public that Slash and co. are not around

But again, why would Axl suddenly do an about face after this long?

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
downliner wrote:

GN'R's prime songwriting combo consisted of Rose, Slash (Saul Hudson), and Duff (Michael) McKagan. This was the "holy trio"

Didn't read past that line I'm afraid. Just don't agree with it and feel the rest of the article will either be poorly researched or filled with more of this guys own opinion.

I agree. Even the most casual fan knows that Izzy played a crucial role. Hell, half of UYI is courtesy of him.

I agree with the main sentiment to a certain extent and this obviously is not a normal band, but if someone is going to write an article about GNR, it would help if they knew the facts.

supaplex
 Rep: 57 

supaplex wrote:

GN'R's prime songwriting combo consisted of Rose, Slash (Saul Hudson), and Duff (Michael) McKagan.

i'd send them a link to any gnr site/forum containing writing credits if buying the album is too much to ask.
whatever comes after that line doesn't matter if you can't even get the correct writing credits

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
supaplex wrote:

GN'R's prime songwriting combo consisted of Rose, Slash (Saul Hudson), and Duff (Michael) McKagan.

i'd send them a link to any gnr site/forum containing writing credits if buying the album is too much to ask.
whatever comes after that line doesn't matter if you can't even get the correct writing credits

This is what bothers me about the current culture we live in. People just download(for free) what they want, and all they have is music files and just assume whatever they want.

Couple months back I was having a discussion about MIA's album Kala. I was raving on Switch's production on this record, and I was basically labeled a sexist because I was giving a man credit for her work and was told he did nothing on the record. I then proceeded to whip out my copy and type the fucking song credits out for this person. They never said anything again. Had this person simply bought the album, they would have known who did what on each song.

Fucking unreal.

James Lofton wrote:
downliner wrote:

I agree. Even the most casual fan knows that Izzy played a crucial role. Hell, half of UYI is courtesy of him.

I agree with the main sentiment to a certain extent and this obviously is not a normal band, but if someone is going to write an article about GNR, it would help if they knew the facts.

I know it's a shame he fucked up on the songwriting credit thing.  He could have just left that out.  The rest of the editorial is actually very articulate and well written.  He gives some good examples for why Axl is adding unnecessary pressure on himself by using the GnR name.    Since everyone in the world knows who he is he could be equally successful recording and touring as "W. Axl Rose." 

His main argument is that Axl's new music sounds vastly different than anything the classic lineup of GnR recorded and that's why he should release it under his own name.  Chris Cornell and Scott Weiland did the same thing.  Their solo work sounds nothing like Soundgarden/Audioslave or STP. 

But I agree with the poster who said at this point why would Axl change his mind and drop the GnR name?  As much shit as he's been through he might as well put out CD as a Guns album.   I just hope casual fans who buy the album aren't pissed because there isn't a "Mr. Brownstone" or "You Could Be Mine" type track on it.

The poster is getting a lot of flack in the comments section at GnR Daily.com.  Here's one of the more favorable responses... 
http://www.gnrdaily.com/news_detail.asp?id=1598

10/1/2008 | 10:05:51 AM by DTJ
"Except for the assertion that Izzy didn't have a whole lot to do with the song writing (he obviously did) i felt this review was spot on and actually one of the better reviews we've read..

Quit blowing axl's balls..Some of you really make me sick..Chi Dem=Appetite? You have to be out of your mind..Chi Dem isn't on the same level as appetite or Use Your Illusions..

Axl probably sees him self as Guns N Roses but its just not the case..And this new album (if it ever comes out) deserves to be compared to all of the old material because that is what Axl gets for keeping the name of this band that others had a huge part in creating..Honestly, without Slash this isn't Guns N Roses..You can write back and talk what ever shit you want but in the end we all know it..I'll shut up and listen to the new stuff and like it, but in the back of our minds except for maybe 2-3 of you (who are complete and utter fucking idiots) we all know Guns N Roses broke up in 1996..Slash, Duff, And Izzy are the missing pieces."

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
Rex wrote:

We all know Izzy and Axl were THE songwriters in GN'R.

Not exactly. They got most of the credit, but without Slash and Duff, it would have been Hollywood Rose II and they sucked.

Board footer