You are not logged in. Please register or login.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

Re: Radio Reacts To Guns N' Roses Single

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Axlin08 wrote:

This is literally starting all over for this band. Their new sound will have to be accepted as if it's a new band, but the only people that know this "underground" band, are diehard Guns N' Roses fans - the internet.

Well using the name Guns N' Roses they will have to win people over,and it's not really starting over because Axl chose to use the GN'R name,so it's all his fault. tongue

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

But see James that's the problem. We're all GN'R has left. It's been so long, that the casual radio listening audience that loves GN'R, left and moved on to other things YEARS AGO. We're all they have left at a grassroots level to really push this thing.

I think some fans, and management think those 1991/92 fans are still there, and will resurrect themselves to give this a push. No, and for a few reasons. A) Time, B) Different GN'R both staffing & artisically, C) different music era.

The reason this single might struggle for any kind of coverage is that, the ONLY coverage they are getting right now is because of the brand name - GUNS N' ROSES.

This is literally starting all over for this band. Their new sound will have to be accepted as if it's a new band, but the only people that know this "underground" band, are diehard Guns N' Roses fans - the internet.

We have always been the 'last line of defense'. I have nothing against fans taking a 'street team' role in this. Hell, all these forums(this one included) are basically promotional tools. A casual fan googles this stuff, and these sites pop up. These are exciting times for us hardcore fans. People should cherish it as God only knows when the next album comes out.

My issue is that the line gets blurred when instead of hearing Joe and Jill Blow talk about the song, its forum members with 10 thousand posts giving shout outs to whatever site they are on.

No matter how you slice it, thats not a general reaction.

I think all us hardcores spanning all these sites should be a bit more subtle in our street team endeavors. You post on any non GNR sites? Post a link to this latest news, and maybe even the track itself for people to give it a chance. On myspace? Send out bulletins. Going somewhere tonight? Burn a couple discs with this track and give them to people you know. Call your local station and see if they have the track. If they don't, send it to them.

I think every GNR forum member can play a role in getting the word out. There's just differences in approach.

Bright Eyes 2005
 Rep: 27 

Hold on though, you support Jack Cafferty at CNN holding a five minute diatribe against Axl today, and then putting the EW poll up at www.cnn.com
and insinuating that everyone should go there and vote against it?  The poll shifted from regular Joe's, to Jack's well trained online gang going into attack dog mode at that point.  I like Cafferty for the most part, but his polls always end up in his favor.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
russtcb wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

This isn't grass roots, this is spamming (in my opinion to please a select few).  Grass roots would be getting people interested, not faking people's interest.

I just can't imagine why you care about it at all.

No, the problem is that you assume you know something about me when you don't.  You've pretty much had it in for me for awhile now and I'm not really sure why.  If you have a problem with me, take it to PM, otherwise respect the fact that I have an opinion and I have the right to share it.

Fuck all of you that think I want this album to fail.  It's actually quite the opposite, but what I see has failure written all over it.  You see that as being negative, I see it as being honest with myself, which more of you should look into.  Read what's going on around you, read the not so surreal thread...this isn't as great as you either think it is or want it to be.  People are underwhelmed, and these are fans that have been on the forums for years.

I'm staying out of the celebration thread and any other thread specifically for that purpose.  I'm responding to the threads that I'm interested in.  Nobody asked me to stay out of that thread - I even deleted a post in a thread that I thought brought a bad vibe to a good thread.  I'm sympathetic to your cause, but threads like radio's response are fair game for any comments (positive or negative).

pupmpkin
 Rep: 2 

pupmpkin wrote:

Does it really matter what CNN and some stupid radio polls think?  All that matters is people hear the song (and the rest of the album) when it comes out.  It's gonna sale no matter what they say!

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I didn't see the CNN thing. If they themselves are trying to influence it negatively, then obviously the trolls are out in full force.

Maybe the way this saga developed means there really is no way to know a casual response. You got the lovers and the haters(both vocal) and the silent majority.

Bright Eyes 2005

I agree with that pumpkin, but this album, like MANY great albums, including Appetite is going to need help from the fans to get it on radio!  Most bands need that help, and even direct fans to polls and radio stations to request the song.  Nothing wrong--and it's fun.

pupmpkin
 Rep: 2 

pupmpkin wrote:

Oh god no, call the radio stations! I have!  I'm just saying Idon't really care what they say...i know it rocks!

Bright Eyes 2005

Well, we need a good list of stations to call and e-mail everyday to keep it on the air--that is the best way to help the band.

Board footer