You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: GN'R/CD Promotion Materials

Sky Dog wrote:

I think it is cool...:mosh:

Paxcow
 Rep: 5 

Paxcow wrote:

it is cool.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
faldor wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

I think alot of people are giving the commercials the same grief, they give the album.

People thought this marketing push for years would be some big thing. The promos are FINE.

They're just not the big epic things people built up in their heads all these years.

What do people expect?  A 30 minute informercial with Billy Mays telling us how great CD is, and how it can cure cancer?

I don't know. I just think some of these "fans" set themselves up for disappointment.

Maybe they were expecting one of those "all night" Time Life Music infomercials hosted by Peter Fonda.

It makes me curious as to what they thought they were going to get. I've never seen a music album get a massive TV push. It's mostly targeted with radio... why... because it's MUSIC.

I think for years people thought this would have the anticipation of The Dark Knight or Spider-Man 2.... instead... it's just another album coming out. High-profile, yes, because of the name Guns N' Roses, but the hype around CD is probably only a little more than Metallica's Death Magnetic, which was average. The only reason CD has the "slight extra" hype it has now, is because of it's mythical legend.

Brett
 Rep: 20 

Brett wrote:

Not the anticipation, Axlin08, just the fact that they're not that good and look fan made. I think you may defend the album a bit too much and therefore don't see things clearly, either. I mean, come on, not like the promos thus far haven't been building this album to be anything but epic. Didn't one say "the wait is finally over?" When I hear the word 'wait' I take it as it's something really building up.

I dunno, I always see Black Ice promos on TV and it seems to be doing fine.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I think one of the issues is the fact that they need some kind of 'band' performance of picture in the advert, it would make it alot better.

But see they don't want to let the world know completely it's a different band.

Seriously.

They still want that little thing in the back of the casual buyer that it's Axl, Slash, Duff, Izzy, etc.

Thus the reason the few new GN'R adverts, and publicity photos ALWAYS feature Axl at the main forefront. How many photos did you ever see that was on GNR.com that featured just the band, minus-Axl? I don't remember any.

And I defend the album the way I do, because musically - it's EXTEMELY good. I think the wait and the anticipation is so high at this point, that it's bound to fail, and people will not give it the credit it deserves.

I truely believe by the time it's said and done and the FINAL versions really sink into our skin... this will be another GN'R masterpiece to rack on the board.

Will
 Rep: 227 

Will wrote:

I'll add that I wasn't online all last week and hadn't seen previous adverts, so when I saw this it was completely new to me. I didn't know Best Buy had their own commercials until James pointed it out to me last night.

I am happy the album is coming, and relieved to see promotion really has begun. Am I not allowed to be disappointed that they have a monkey making these videos though? tongue

Theres nothing wrong with wanting GNR to step up their game a little.

Von
 Rep: 77 

Von wrote:

Death Magnetic actually had a pretty sizeable amount of hype and has gone on to become on of the top sellers of 2008 in less than two months. It also still tops the charts and has been part of a push to see hard rock/heavy metal back on the charts. Coupled with the new AC/DC, GN'R is entering a music climate bent far more in their favor than the climate of even 2006. Wait and see.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Nevermind

(topic merged with existing one - dl)

Paxcow
 Rep: 5 

Paxcow wrote:

fucking A!!!!!

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:

I'm not expecting a huge marketing campaign. I was expecting something that looked a bit better than something I could have made in half an hour while drunk of my ass.

Board footer