You are not logged in. Please register or login.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

Re: GILBY CLARKE At His Home Studio

BLS-Pride wrote:

GILBY CLARKE At His Home Studio - Nov. 30, 2008
Japan's WeROCK City has posted video footage of former GUNS N' ROSES guitarist Gilby Clarke at his home studio. Gilby shows off his guitar collection, including his treasured Zemaitis Silvertop Custom Deluxe axe, which was made by Tony Zemaitis in London in 1991.

Gilby had the wonderful opportunity to meet Tony and his lovely wife Anne when GN'R was performing at the Freddy Mercury tribute concert in London in 1991.

Gilby has always wanted a Zemaitis since the first time he saw Ron Wood and James Honeyman Scott play one in the late '80s/early '90s. He went to the Zemaitis home and had tea and snacks with Tony and his wife. They chatted about old English guitarists that they both admired, the blues and cars. Tony then hand-made Gilby his first Zemaitis guitar, mostly derived from the Ron Wood model.

The Silvertop is Gilby's favorite guitar he has ever owned, and it will never leave his side. He played it a lot during the GN'R years and in some videos, and photo shoots.

Video link: http://www.werockcity.com/tv/ch_wr/tv_gilby02.php

Von
 Rep: 77 

Von wrote:

I think Gilby's the man. I know he doesn't get a lot of love 'round these parts, but he's always been cool in my book. Thanks for posting.

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

jorge76 wrote:
Von Solo wrote:

I think Gilby's the man. I know he doesn't get a lot of love 'round these parts, but he's always been cool in my book. Thanks for posting.

Totally agree, always good to know what Gilby's up to.  I just wish it was making another record sometime soon.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

gilby rocks....it was my dream that he would be staying w/ gnr after tsi was released...pawnshop guitars is excellent...too bad things never panned out that way sad

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

I was watching MTV 2 for some odd reason and a Fall Out Boy video came on. I wouldn't have changed it but Gilby was in it. It shows him laughing saying something like "Who the fuck is Fall Out Boy? There not rock and roll." Or something to that effect. Pretty funny.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Gilby was his era's Ron Thal.

Great with fans, good guy, talented, and likeable. Of all the Izzy replacements, he's my favorite.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

^ I agree on all fronts. He was in a very tough spot too, replacing an original member, who left for at the time somewhat undisclosed purposes. Also, as it turned out, Izzy was a huge part in the songwriting.

Gilbys talented, ashame he never worked with them much again. Myb would've been a good fit for VR too. I don't think Dave did much that Gilby couldn't have brought to the table.

dr_love6977
 Rep: 38 

dr_love6977 wrote:

There was an episode of Charm School (don't laugh, my old lady watches it) where they had to set up a full stage. Afterward Gilby examines it and says it's up to par... but he has to test it. He then picks up a guitar and just starts wanking ridiculously. Easily the most pretentious thing I've ever seen him do.

Other than that, cool cat.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

^ Wanking like playing a solo full of whammy or something or you mean like just pulling poses wth the guitar?

dr_love6977
 Rep: 38 

dr_love6977 wrote:

Wanking as in playing a big solo complete with guitar faces. I was waiting for Slash to pop up and own him like in the solo battle on the Illusions DVD.

Board footer