You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: The Star Wars Thread *NO SPOILERS ALLOWED!*

misterID wrote:

I geeked out at the storm troopers, so yeah, everything else was cool.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Loving the Falcon, the X wings and the storm troopers.

Did not like the voice over (cheesy voice and words), the new saber, the designs (coloring, shapes) or the shaky cam. The thing that irks me the most is the lack of a distinct sound for the saber. Igniting a light saber is supposed to sound like the coolest thing ever. God help them if they fuck with that for what I assume will be ordinary sabers.

To conclude it seems the action will be good to great, pacing and acting will probably be up to snuff, but it will lack in creative ideas and atmosphere. JJ brings the first part, Lucas leaves with the second. Still think Georgie should have been a producer on this.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

I think its great.  Well, its only a trailer but hopefully the movie lives up to it.  I think it will.   Not sure I really want Lucas too hands on tbh, SW needs new life & the original was nearly 40 years ago.  Not sure Lucas really has it anymore plus I'm sure at his age he'd be drained during a behemoth of a project like this.  He'll do the right thing if he found the right director (JJ) and just gave it over to him with free reign.  Little input, criticism or hands on, just step away & monitor it periodically, but it looks fine.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

George has to approve EVERYTHING so he's still involved. But like the first trilogy it'll come from different voices. I thought the light saber was pretty cool. Rumor is the Emperor is going to bye in is as a sith ghost, like Obi Wan was a Jedi ghost.

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

misterID wrote:

George has to approve EVERYTHING so he's still involved. But like the first trilogy it'll come from different voices. I thought the light saber was pretty cool. Rumor is the Emperor is going to bye in is as a sith ghost, like Obi Wan was a Jedi ghost.

George Lucas is the creator of Star Wars and he is still a creative consultant on the films as well as TV shows like Rebels that's on Disney XD. So he basically does have a say on what works canon wise and basically they can't just have the writers do random bullshit if it contradicts to their original character tropes or how this device works in the established Star Wars universe...or basically the Force can't just do that. As for writing scripts and choosing actors, that isn't his call...and thank God for that. He's basically semi-retired now.

Me_Wise_Magic

PaSnow wrote:

I think its great.  Well, its only a trailer but hopefully the movie lives up to it.  I think it will.   Not sure I really want Lucas too hands on tbh, SW needs new life & the original was nearly 40 years ago.  Not sure Lucas really has it anymore plus I'm sure at his age he'd be drained during a behemoth of a project like this.  He'll do the right thing if he found the right director (JJ) and just gave it over to him with free reign.  Little input, criticism or hands on, just step away & monitor it periodically, but it looks fine.

Same here. I'm just ignoring b.s. rumors from people that claim to have to insight on the story without backing it up. Just focusing on new trailers, movie posters when they come out. I'm excited and optimistic about this.

johndivney wrote:

all the brouhaha & negativity will ultimately mean fk all upon release, unless there's a total jar jar binks sized misstep & dialogue tripping nonsense.
it'll be the biggest goddamn thing ever next christmas. kinda looking forward to it - my nephew is just getting into the right age for it - but also kinda not due to the abundance of fanboys & friends who are too old & should know better.
it's a difficult balancing act. it'll be impossible to ignore for the next yr tho.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
misterID wrote:

He has reserved the right to approve of some small things, like how the force works, who is more powerful, what type of stuff you can do. You know, nerd stuff. But when it comes to story, dialogue, effects etc. Jar Jar and crew are free to do what they want.

However, he has written "story treatments" for the trilogy. Which I'm taking are short broad strokes for the story. IF JJ stays faithful to them it will probably not be so bad (especially since Rian Johnson is coming in as writer/director for 8 and 9, great news). But what it will most certainly lack is Lucas' visual sensibilities and creative spark. The guys sucks at dialogue, he's not great a directing and he has a tendency to forget about the actors, but he is still one of the most creative film makers in the world. Star Wars isn't worshipped almost religiously by millions of nerds because of the effects. It's because of Lucas' ability to create interesting, organic worlds and being able to produce the visuals to go with it.

So far we have seen x wings, at ats, falcon, storm troopers, desert and ice planets. That's not very creative. That's not very bold. I don't like Star Wars or the final death star battle because the x wing is the be end of when it comes to design. It's just a great look. 30 years later it would be nice with something different. A vision. An OT pillow party is just that, nostalgia. Works among friends having a beer, but won't go far as a work of art.

Me_Wise_Magic

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2014/12/11/s … ter-names/

Some of the lead character names have been officially revealed by Lucas-film in a clever retro way!! JJ is such a fan boy...I love it.

Me_Wise_Magic

It has been basically confirmed that the new Star Wars trailer will be shown during screenings for Avengers: Age of Ultron starting May 1st that will show a stronger set up of the plot and more of the characters perhaps the new villain too. A new poster will be revealed sometime this week at Star Wars Celebration once JJ and Kathleen Kennedy show up for their particular panel. It is rumored to be illustrated by the same guy who did the posters for the prequels as well as the re-release of the original trilogy back in '97. During Celebration, the trailer might be shown there too or early footage before it comes out on YouTube and AoU screenings for everybody else. 

The name for the first Star Wars spin-off coming out next December '16 directed by Gareth Edwards ("Godzilla 2014") will be called Star Wars: Rogue One and star Felicity Jones in a lead role. Josh Trank ("Chronicle, Fantastic Four") is going to direct the other spin off that's after Episode 8. It has been reported that both Trank and Edwards may show off concept art and the main premise of their films during a Celebration panel or sometime in the near future.

http://www.starwars.com/news/rogue-one- … isode-viii

http://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars- … josh-trank

Board footer