You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Chinese Democracy Chart Positions Thread

James wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp … pe=listing

...So the album has sold terribly in the US, yet it's still the best selling album at Best Buy? hmm

Best Buy is on the verge of going bankrupt, and Chinese Democracy is selling less than one copy per store. Being number one there doesn't mean shit.

Bill Cosby could yodel in a toilet and it would sell at least one copy per store.

There's no bragging rights on the Best Buy charts.

AtariLegend wrote:

...But does that not suggest it might have sold better, if the best buy deal didn't happen?

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

...But does that not suggest it might have sold better, if the best buy deal didn't happen?

Yeah, I wouldn't say being #1 at Best Buy doesn't mean anything.  I mean, they do sell all other CD's that aren't exclusives to other outlets.  The fact that sales for CD are so low at this point, yet it still is #1 at Best Buy is a huge knock on Best Buy itself.  Apparently they just don't sell many CD's there in general.  So that's yet another argument, how sales for CD have been hurt by the exclusive.  Obviously not the sole reason, but a big one.

And thank god it's #1 at Best Buy considering that's the only place people can get it in the US.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Faldor, you said it... all it means is that Best Buy doesn't sell alot of CD's.

James

James wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

It just means the couple people who went there bought it because its exclusive to that outlet.

This album wasn't gonna do much damage no matter where it was sold. Would sales have been a bit higher with no exclusive? Sure. Not much though. U2 did a massive promo blitz and their album is now on a downward spiral, but you think Chinese Democracy being available at more stores would have made a huge difference?

People should just be happy it sold as much as it did. The music is dated, they didn't do any lengthy promotion, that booklet is a joke,etc. They're actually lucky that casuals didn't buy it in droves because there would have been a shit load of returns due to the errors in that booklet, giving the album even more negative publicity. Only hardcore GNR fans put up with that type of amateurish garbage, which is why you don't see other artists half assing releases like that.

Universal should be ashamed for signing off on that as a final product. I understand Uni wanting to wash its hands of that mess, but its amazing no one said, "get your own lyrics right or this never hits store shelves". Uni and GNR should have offered a corrected and finalized booklet for free download MONTHS ago for anyone who wanted it.

The LP release was the biggest joke in music history. So glad I held off on buying that. Those frisbees should have been recalled and all people who bought them given a refund.

They simply don't care. Both got their money already, and that's all that matters to them.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

Of course they have more chance of selling the album online if its on the first page, rather than way down the listings.
I doubt it really is their best seller at this point in time.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

It just means the couple people who went there bought it because its exclusive to that outlet.

This album wasn't gonna do much damage no matter where it was sold. Would sales have been a bit higher with no exclusive? Sure. Not much though. U2 did a massive promo blitz and their album is now on a downward spiral, but you think Chinese Democracy being available at more stores would have made a huge difference?

People should just be happy it sold as much as it did. The music is dated, they didn't do any lengthy promotion, that booklet is a joke,etc. They're actually lucky that casuals didn't buy it in droves because there would have been a shit load of returns due to the errors in that booklet, giving the album even more negative publicity. Only hardcore GNR fans put up with that type of amateurish garbage, which is why you don't see other artists half assing releases like that.

Universal should be ashamed for signing off on that as a final product. I understand Uni wanting to wash its hands of that mess, but its amazing no one said, "get your own lyrics right or this never hits store shelves". Uni and GNR should have offered a corrected and finalized booklet for free download MONTHS ago for anyone who wanted it.

The LP release was the biggest joke in music history. So glad I held off on buying that. Those frisbees should have been recalled and all people who bought them given a refund.

They simply don't care. Both got their money already, and that's all that matters to them.

Let's not forget the diehards that were going out and buying 10 copies either.

Uni was stuck. The material was what it was. Axl waited too long to release it, we all know that. The only difference is, Uni still needed a return on that investment.

Most artist, who have normal budgets for albums... CD would've been thrown into a vault, and considered a lost album, had it been made on a normal budget imo. It wouldn't had been worth their time.

James

James wrote:
Olorin wrote:

Of course they have more chance of selling the album online if its on the first page, rather than way down the listings.

Actually, I believe it. That store is going under. I always liked Best Buy and I don't go there much either. They don't get much casual traffic. Never did. Its people wanting to buy computers, DVD players, video game consoles,etc. The CDs are impulse buys. Each time I have went there to get a cd, the music section is either empty or one person is there.

CD at number 1 really shows us how bad this store is really doing. Number one spot with less than one copy sold per store. I'd hate to be in the number two spot.....

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Olorin wrote:

Well it IS the list of best sellers.  So unless you're thinking they're fudging the list and just putting Chinese Democracy at the top because it's exlcusive to the store?  I'm not so sure Best Buy, or anyone, would bend over backwards to help GNR at this point.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

Die hards are irrelevant. It's about how many copies the stores and chains buy in.

Board footer