You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: Chinese Democracy Chart Positions Thread

Axlin16 wrote:

I remember in November going to Best Buy to pick up CD, and one of the employees told me how it was flying off the shelf.

BUT

I know what I saw when I was there, and what I saw was a store FULL of customers, packed actually, on a Sunday, and guess who was the ONLY person in the store buying CD?

DCK wrote:

Die hards are irrelevant. It's about how many copies the stores and chains buy in.

So in your eyes CD is a platinum album?

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
DCK wrote:

Die hards are irrelevant. It's about how many copies the stores and chains buy in.

They're not irrelevant for an album at Gold status with multiple copies bought per hardcore fan. Obviously not every fan bought multiples, but a decent percentage did. They're actually partly responsible for the album's first week success. The album suffered a massive descent from the charts starting in week 2.

You are correct though that to GNR and Uni, it didn't matter. They got their money upfront, and thats why they so willingly released a half assed product.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:
faldor wrote:
Olorin wrote:

Of course they have more chance of selling the album online if its on the first page, rather than way down the listings.
I doubt it really is their best seller at this point in time.

Well it IS the list of best sellers.  So unless you're thinking they're fudging the list and just putting Chinese Democracy at the top because it's exlcusive to the store?  I'm not so sure Best Buy, or anyone, would bend over backwards to help GNR at this point.

They'd be helping themselves though, Best Buy bought all those copies outright.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
DCK wrote:

They're not irrelevant for an album at Gold status with multiple copies bought per hardcore fan. Obviously not every fan bought multiples, but a decent percentage did. They're actually partly responsible for the album's first week success. The album suffered a massive descent from the charts starting in week 2.

You are correct though that to GNR and Uni, it didn't matter. They got their money upfront, and thats why they so willingly released a half assed product.

That's why diehards buying multiple copies aren't irrelevant.  Whether a fan bought 1 or 30, it doesn't really matter.  Axl himself could've gone out and bought 100,000 copies to help boost the numbers but I don't think that was the goal, even for those who DID buy mulitple copies.  I bought 3 copies, 1 for me, and 2 for gifts.  Most others who bought multiple copies bought them to give to others, not just to have 30 extra copies on hand.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Olorin wrote:
faldor wrote:
Olorin wrote:

Of course they have more chance of selling the album online if its on the first page, rather than way down the listings.
I doubt it really is their best seller at this point in time.

Well it IS the list of best sellers.  So unless you're thinking they're fudging the list and just putting Chinese Democracy at the top because it's exlcusive to the store?  I'm not so sure Best Buy, or anyone, would bend over backwards to help GNR at this point.

They'd be helping themselves though, Best Buy bought all those copies outright.

They would be, but I honestly don't think they're all that concerned right now.  There's little they can do to turn this around.  IF they wanted to blow through more copies they could reduce the price and put them in the bargain bin.  "Putting" it on the top of its best sellers list obviously hasn't helped over the last 4 months or so.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

Mabye it is their top seller, but only their online top seller, seeing as Best Buy is the retail exclusive. Honestly, how many casual music fans would go to the Best Buy website to order music?
I bet they sell more than 1 cd per week in store, if they dont, then why not stop selling cds altogether? Eminem just released a new album and they havnt sold any?

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Olorin wrote:

I bet they sell more than 1 cd per week in store, if they dont, then why not stop selling cds altogether? Eminem just released a new album and they havnt sold any?

Thats actually a good point, and I wouldn't be surprised if they stop selling music in the near future. CDs and LPs clearly aren't bringing in any traffic when their big release is selling less than one copy per store, per week.

If artists like Eminem, U2, Beyonce,etc. are selling less than Chinese Democracy, you might as well remove the music section and stack up boxes of dog shit in its place and you'll make the same amount of money.

Best Buy used to be such a great store.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Then what are they selling? They're still in business.

And if they aren't moving product, they sure as shit shouldn't be doing these exclusives every fuckin' month almost with various artists or films.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

i think the sales ratings on the BB website are all time figures

so of all the titles they've ever sold, CD sold the most for the best buy franchise

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Jesus, than they really do blow major chimp.

Board footer