You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Re: Chinese Democracy Chart Positions Thread

Axl S wrote:
madagas wrote:

US accounts for approximately 40% of world album sales.....so we should just disregard the other 60%? Come on. Gnr has sold approximately 100 million worlwide....43.5 in the US. So you are going to tell me Geffen doesn't care about the other 57 million records sold????!!!!! Yes, it is important for US artists to do well in the US. However, there is a ton of money for Gnr to be made overseas in sales and touring.....even new Gnr. Sometimes you have to be happy with what you have.

Yeah that was my thinking as well. Maybe when an unknown artist is trying to break through it's important but afterwards it is less.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
misterID wrote:

erm, James, that chart is only tracking sales from January 12, 2008 to January 10, 2009. That's only counting CD's sales for the first 2 months of its release.

That's the point. It was in the top 20 during that same time frame. I remember people running around with that same link from forum to forum saying it was one of the top sellers of 2008. It dropped more than fifteen spots on the same list.

I guess I didn't understand your point. I thought you were saying CD's total sales up to now was only 1.6 million when that chart only counted 2 months worth of sales.

It looked like CD was selling over 200,000 copies a week around the world pretty consistently in 2009 after that tally. They won't have the full 2009 tally until 2010.

Sky Dog wrote:

it tapered off very quick early in 2009..it wasn't 200,000 per week. I am sure of that.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

you're right, I was looking at the wrong thing.

Sky Dog wrote:

ok here is the same media traffic global chart James refers to.....
http://www.mediatraffic.de/year-end-albums.htm

1.6 million in 2008....then
2009  week 1    221,000
          week 2    89,000
          week 3    56,000
          week 4    44,000
          week 5    36,000
          week 6    31,000

week 7 09 out of the top 40 global charts so no numbers available. Thus, 1.6 in 2008 plus another 477,000 = approx 2,077,000 as of February 09. Best guess global actual album sales of a minimum of 2,100,000.

Now, the other 750,000 sitting on Best Buys racks are considered sold by the label because Best Buy can't return them. Money in hand for Ax and Geffen. So, that could push the number to close to 3,000,000 sold worldwide.

and for the record here is how the global chart is determined..

Chart Methodologies
Album-Chart
THE TOP-SELLING ALBUMS ACCORDING TO GLOBAL SALES DATA AND NATIONAL ALBUM-CHARTS
OFFICIAL NATIONAL CHARTS FROM USA, JAPAN, UNITED KINGDOM, GERMANY, AND FRANCE WITH REAL SALES DATA
OFFICIAL NATIONAL CHARTS FROM CANADA, AUSTRALIA, ITALY, SPAIN, BRAZIL, MEXICO, NETHERLANDS, SWITZERLAND, BELGIUM, SOUTH AFRICA, SWEDEN, AUSTRIA, NORWAY, DENMARK, FINLAND, IRELAND, ARGENTINA, CHILE, COLOMBIA, VENEZUELA, NEW ZEALAND, MALAYSIA, POLAND, PORTUGAL, HUNGARY, CZECH REPUBLIC, SLOVAKIA, GREECE, AND SOUTH KOREA ARE WEIGHTED TO THE SIZE OF ITS MARKETS ACCORDING TO THE LATEST IFPI-STATISTICS
(EXCEPTION: ALBUMS WITH HUGH SALES IN THESE COUNTRIES ARE WEIGHTED HIGHER)
ALBUMS WHICH PLACED IN MOST OR ALL OF OUR MONITORED COUNTRIES, GET ADDITIONAL POINTS FOR COUNTRIES WHICH HAVE NO OFFICIAL CHARTS LIKE RUSSIA, CHINA, INDIA, TURKEY ETC.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

These numbers make me wonder, again, what the hell is going on with cd and best buy. Why hasn't cd exclusive ended and why hasn't best buy sold their landfill to other retailers? and why did they buy so many copies in the first place?  the only thing I can think of is if that a tour was a part of the deal with best buy and everyone assumed they'd tour after the release, helping them sell more copies of the cd.  since they didn't tour the contract was not fullfilled and things came to a stand-still. if that's true, when gnr tours the exclusivity will end and best buy will be free to sell what's then left of their copies to whomever they please. until then, best buy would be bailing out axl if they sold the cd's.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Is there any chance that the exclusive only lasted as long as BB's stock lasted?

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Is there any chance that the exclusive only lasted as long as BB's stock lasted?

That would be highly unconventional, but it's a good question. Would help explain their total lack of interest in unloading all those copies. They're praying for a second wind which can be taken advantage of.

If there was anything resembling a timeframe, these would have been 5 bucks six months ago.

Sky Dog wrote:

I don't think there was a timeframe....just fan made gossip as usual. Is there a timeframe on the Pearl Jam album or AC/DC album?...not that I know of.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

CD's are dead. The only way to move those records would be the same way Foreigner & KISS are doing in the next couple of weeks.

3 discs, one the album, one a DVD, one a remix classic album - $11.99 at WM.

In Axl's case, with his wealth of material, it could've been Discs 1 & 2 - double album, Disc 3 - DVD - $11.99.

In 'reality' with BB, I would've went with Buy One/Get One. Buy CD for $11.99, get any GN'R album of your choosing for free. Two albums for the price of one. At least that way, they wouldn't have the embarassment of being in the bargain bin on day one.

I was walking through a record store Sunday, and decided to just look. Alice In Chains' "Jar of Flies"... an EP... $14.99. An 8-track EP for $15 bucks. And old on top of that. And they want to know why illegal internet download took the music industry put two bullets in the back of it's head, and threw it in a ditch.

Board footer