You are not logged in. Please register or login.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

Re: Revisiting Slash's Snakepit

buzzsaw wrote:

I'm stealing this idea from the Revisiting Contraband thread. 

I never gave Slash's Snakepit much of a listen.  I hear it and didn't like it because *gasp* Axl wasn't the singer, so I didn't like the vibe.  I'm going to give it another shot this weekend.  What songs should I be checking out to get the best flavor for the albums?  I haven't heard them in like 10 years, so it will be like hearing new music.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

I only like the first album, mainly for the tracks 'Neither can I' 'Beggars and Hangers-On' 'Good to be Alive' and 'Back and Forth Again.'

It's solid all the way through though, not just those tracks are good.

Brett
 Rep: 20 

Brett wrote:

On the second album, I really liked Back to the Moment.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

I'm stealing this idea from the Revisiting Contraband thread. 

I never gave Slash's Snakepit much of a listen.  I hear it and didn't like it because *gasp* Axl wasn't the singer, so I didn't like the vibe.  I'm going to give it another shot this weekend.  What songs should I be checking out to get the best flavor for the albums?  I haven't heard them in like 10 years, so it will be like hearing new music.

all of 5 o'clock is pretty good...its basically slash building off the UYI's....hes at the top of his game on that album IMO

But yeah "beggers and hangers on" is the obvious one to check out..and i've always liked "who do you want to be"

but my personal opinion is to give the album a full listen, i beleive the album pretty much takes up the whole cd....70 or so minutes

to this day i dont know why axl and duff walked away from it

on the album you can really hear the chemistry between Slash and Gilby

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Well...I think of Snakepit as two different bands, because the first and second albums (and line ups) have a very different vibe to them in terms of the types of songs you get.

I got into Snakepit1 and then found it harder to get into snakepit2 as the singer as really quite a different style from the first band and his lyrics wern't to my taste. However I did eventually warm to it.

My advice:

Snakepit 1:

This record with Axl would be KILLER but try to get more open to the fact he isn't around, as at the core, these are UYI and AFD style rockers..in terms of the guitar parts.

I was going to post a "listen to track" X kinda review - but then realised like CC said it's pretty solid all the way through...check out maybe "Soma City Ward" or my namesake "monkeychow" smile

Getting into the 2nd record - Aint Life Grand is tougher...there's some good stuff like the bluesy title track..itself...or other tracks like ."Speed Parade" and "Serial Killer" (which has annoying production effects but killer guitar solos in the middle).

Anyway...i'd definately give the first album a listen smile

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

I can't take the Serial Killer lyrics or the kids singing parts of it. "I'll murder your heart" is so embarrassing.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Communist China wrote:

I can't take the Serial Killer lyrics or the kids singing parts of it. "I'll murder your heart" is so embarrassing.

yeah the guitar itself is cool tho....here is some random you tube dude playing the solo...it's a great solo the way it builds.

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

jorge76 wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
Communist China wrote:

yeah the guitar itself is cool tho....here is some random you tube dude playing the solo...it's a great solo the way it builds.

Yeah, the kids are a little wierd, and the lyrics aren't anything fantastic (but it's not like he moved onto a great lyricist with Weiland), but that's my favorite song on that album by quite a bit.  It's musically fantastic.

That album as a whole doesn't get a lot of love, but it's not that it's bad, it's just different.  If it were that different and a phenomenal album I think people would let him get away with it, but it's different and just pretty good.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

It's Five O'Clock Somewhere:
Neither Can I, Dime Store Rock, Beggars, Good To Be Alive, Back and Forth Again

Ain't LIfe Grand:
Just Like Anything (main riff sounds very similar to the verse riff from Paradise City) Shine, Landslide, Life's Sweet Drug, Serial Killer (awesome Slash solo in this one), Speed Parade. Back To The Moment has some really cool lead guitar melodies as well.
If you can get past the vocals, which aren't all that bad, there is some stellar guitar playing, and the production is top notch too.

Slashisvr
 Rep: 8 

Slashisvr wrote:

Doin Fine
Mean Bone
Serial Killer
Neither Can I

are 4 of my fav snakepit songs, both great albums in my eyes, maybe the second abit more radio friendly, but still both good albums

Board footer