You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Re: Revisiting Slash's Snakepit

Mikkamakka wrote:

IMO 5 O'clock is the best GN'R-related album since 1991 by any member. The guitar work is killer, well-worked out songs with a lot of cool riffs and Slash is soloing like a god. Best songs are Neither Can I, Beggars, Good to be alive, Monkey Chow, Be The Ball and Back And Forth Again. The album is in my all time top 10, I love it. My only complaint could be Eric Dover, the singer, cause although he writes decent lyrics, he's rather shouting than singing. But he's not that bad as some people say.

ALG is a different animal. I like Rod Jackson's voice, he can sing anything, but very weak at writing lyrics. ALG is closer to the 70s Aerosmith and Alice Cooper, Ryan Roxie has his mark on the album. The songs are more simple than on 5 O'clock, less riffs, not that strong song structures and good, but less great solos by Slash. Shine, Back to the moment, Serial Killer and Ain't Life Grand are awesome songs though. I even like the child chorus in Serial Killer.

TheMole
 Rep: 77 

TheMole wrote:

I love the kids singing on Serial Killer. But IFOC is by far the best GNR related album since they broke up (including CD).

As others have mentioned, check out Neither Can I, Beggars&Hangers-On, Back and Forth Again and Dime Store Rock. But I also really like Doin' Fine and the main riff in Take it Away is super mean!

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

I was wrong
I dont need you
seems reckless
and unfair
better days
are far behind me
guess that's another cross
i'll have to bear

Beggers and hangers on
try to take you from me
someone with a bible in his pocket
clouding up everything you see

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

dime store rock kicks ass....i popped this into my car this morning and giving ti the cd vs snakepit test

this album rocks so fucking hard man 21 9 21

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

This album is everything CD is not.  Its fucking ballsy as shit.  Great riffs.. Hell, I even like Be The Ball..  HA, a shit load of great rockers... Slash's tone is killer.  You know, Matt Sorum played his fucking ass of this album and I really like the bass of Mike Inez.  Great band!  Eric's voice is cool too.  Slash isn't hold back at all on this album.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

This album is everything CD is not.  Its fucking ballsy as shit.  Great riffs.. Hell, I even like Be The Ball..  HA, a shit load of great rockers... Slash's tone is killer.  You know, Matt Sorum played his fucking ass of this album and I really like the bass of Mike Inez.  Great band!  Eric's voice is cool too.  Slash isn't hold back at all on this album.

Yeah this album is more like I hoped VR would turn out. Like you listen to GNR, and you listen to this album, and you hear what slash is capiable of. While I like his more recent efforts a lot too, they are far more restrained than in Snakepit where he really was going nuts. Interestingly I think stuff like the alice record and his recent stage solos in VR and stuff show maybe a return to form is on the cards.

As to compare with CD. Well like its the other half of UYI3. I swear take 1/2 these tracks and add axl, then take 1/2 the ballads of CD and add Slash and you would have the real UYI3 that would be indistuinguishable from a 1991 record IMO.

cagney77
 Rep: 0 

cagney77 wrote:

Snakepit is pure garbage. Don't bother. Just stick to Guns or VR.

cagney77 wrote:

I don't agree with that statment,Snakepit was cool,I liked both of the Snakepit albums,but then again I have an open mind when it comes to music. 9

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
cagney77 wrote:

I think snakepit 1 is superior to VR. But it's all taste I guess.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
cagney77 wrote:

I think snakepit 1 is superior to VR. But it's all taste I guess.

Snakepit I is superior to everything else GN'R-realated since 1991. wink

Board footer