You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Gunslinger
 Rep: 88 

Re: Finally... new alice in chains....

Gunslinger wrote:

I wouldn't say that AIC was Layne alone by any means but his sound and style DEFINED the band.  That would be my argument.  I'll give the album a listen but I will never consider it Alice in Chains. Doesn't mean it may not have some good music however.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

I'll try to explain why I think Blind Melon can go on but AIC can't, since both bands are certainly bands, a sum of their parts, but had an iconic and unique frontman. The lyrics of Blind Melon have a lot of universal truths in them, and are more about lost youth in general than specific events in Shannon's life. Travis Warren could feel these songs and sing them and it still makes sense.

While AIC's lyrics were often written by Jerry, and they were usually the typical druggie poems, Layne's vocals made them real. The lyrics become great because his voice was so believable and you felt he was that combination of broken and beautiful that AIC's music was (at its best). Layne had real life struggles, very serious stuff, that not only affected him physically but played a role in his art. William DuVall doesn't have this. He has a great voice and can imitate Layne when he wants to, but I just don't feel like he's ever dealt with anything that can make music like 'Down in a Hole' (Jerry's song, I know) feel as honest as Layne made it feel.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

Let's not forget, Jerry wrote the bulk of AIC material, just look at songwriting credits on all the albums. No doubt it will be different without Layne, but to say AIC was Layne Staley alone is like saying GN'R is Axl alone.

Last time I checked... it was. 22

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

Let's not forget, Jerry wrote the bulk of AIC material, just look at songwriting credits on all the albums. No doubt it will be different without Layne, but to say AIC was Layne Staley alone is like saying GN'R is Axl alone.

According to who?

Von
 Rep: 77 

Von wrote:

Duvall's a charismatic performer and a nice guy, but I'd rather have had Jerry Cantrell assume lead vocal duties and continue on as Alice in Chains in that vein.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
metallex78 wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

According to who?

According to the millions across the world that bought CD, and millions that have seen GN'R in concert from 2001 to the present.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

Haha, c'mon Axlin08 don't be silly.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:

I'm not exactly comfortable with this still being called Alice in Chains since Layne was such a huge part of what made this band so real.  Like CC said, Layne brought life to the lyrics, even the ones he didn't write.  He brought in all that personal struggle and filtered it through his voice to deliver truly remarkable performances. 

William Duvall is a great frontman.  He does the vocal work just fine.  I saw AIC in concert when they were on tour with VR and Duvall is a really charismatic frontman.  But that same life and pain isn't brought to the table like Layne did. 

I am interested to see where this band has progressed since their last album.  It's been a long gap in between this album and their last one, only a few years shorter than the gap between GNR albums.  I'm curious to see what Duvall can bring to the table.

metallex78

metallex78 wrote:

Got my tickets to see Alice In Chains live in Sydney next month and I'm really looking forward to it. Can't wait to see Jerry Cantrell ripping it up, that guy is such an underrated guitarist.

I thought I'd check out their new singer William DuVall's band Come With The Fall, and wow, I was pleasantly surprised. This guy sounds like Chris Cornell at times and the music sounds like Superunknown era Soundgarden!

Check out songs from their latest EP The Reckoning: http://www.comeswiththefall.com/music.html

It actually gives me faith in what this guy could bring to the new AIC material.

metallex78

metallex78 wrote:

I'm going to see AIC in a few days and I can't wait!

Jerry Cantrell gave an interview to Aussie radio last week and he said they might debut some new songs while they're here in Australia, so I'll be sure to write a full gig report.

Board footer