You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Furbush
 Rep: 107 

Re: Finally... new alice in chains....

Furbush wrote:

i'm wicked stoked...
sure, william duvall is no layne staley... but he ain't trying to be.
anyone else probably would have...
somehow he fits...
the new shit sounds promising
http://bandonox.blogspot.com/2008/12/re … hains.html

and here's an example....

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

I was a huge AIC fan and still listen to them every now and then, but the new music in the latest video doesn't sound like anything particularly interesting, just sounds like stock standard riffing.

I still look forward to hearing more though. Jerry is a great guitar player, and playing back together again with Sean and Mike I'm sure will bring out something pretty good.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

The music is good, and god bless William DuVall, but it's not AIC. AIC died with Layne. Period. It'd be like Nirvana hitting the road, minus Cobain.

Like I said, the music is good, but they should've called it 'Breaking The Chains' or something. Some project with the remaining members, doing AIC-influenced music, and the old AIC classics, but not as AIC.

The whole vibe is off. It's just not the same. And I gave it a shot.

Same thing with Queen + Paul Rodgers. I gave it an open mind and a fair shot, and it's just not the same. It just doesn't "feel" the same.

The biggest reason i've been able to support new GN'R over the years, is despite the lineup change, it's still feels like Guns N' Roses. Even CD holds up as a GN'R album. Van Halen with Sammy Hagar still felt like VH to me. It's a very hard thing for an artist to do with an altered band. Rarely does it work. In GNR's case, they got lucky - it works. Everyone else - no, sorry.

Furbush

Furbush wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

The music is good, and god bless William DuVall, but it's not AIC. AIC died with Layne. Period. It'd be like Nirvana hitting the road, minus Cobain.

Like I said, the music is good, but they should've called it 'Breaking The Chains' or something. Some project with the remaining members, doing AIC-influenced music, and the old AIC classics, but not as AIC.

The whole vibe is off. It's just not the same. And I gave it a shot.

Same thing with Queen + Paul Rodgers. I gave it an open mind and a fair shot, and it's just not the same. It just doesn't "feel" the same.

The biggest reason i've been able to support new GN'R over the years, is despite the lineup change, it's still feels like Guns N' Roses. Even CD holds up as a GN'R album. Van Halen with Sammy Hagar still felt like VH to me. It's a very hard thing for an artist to do with an altered band. Rarely does it work. In GNR's case, they got lucky - it works. Everyone else - no, sorry.

fair enough...
i think we're actually in agreement that calling this thing AIC was a bad move, but i'm gonna try to keep an open mind... i listened to some of duvall's pre-aic band and.. at times... he has that layne-ish vibe....

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

I'm excited for the album they come up with, but not sure if I like them calling it AIC. I gave Blind Melon the benefit of the doubt, but I am a hypocrite, so we'll see. Hope the songs are good.

Gunslinger
 Rep: 88 

Gunslinger wrote:

I'll have to hear more to decide if it is decent or not but as already mentioned Alice in Chains died with Layne.  His voice was CRUCIAL to their signature sound and it just isn't an ingredient that can be replaced.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

William has a very Layne-ish voice, but he doesn't have his feel. That's the problem.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

AiC are dead, but I like this guys voice. Beautiful rendition of Nutshell.

I'll check out the album. Not much else happening in rock these days anyway.

Furbush

Furbush wrote:

lets keep in mind that layne wasn't the only singer in that band... i think it'll be good. it ain't any different to me than replacing slash, izzy and duff in gnr...they were a vital part of the sound.
i agree with you guys.. i do... layne had that feel... he gave straight blues songs an "off" sorta vibe that can't be replaced...but to say he "was" AIC?.. i dunno about that...when i think of alice in chains.. i think of more than just layne's voice. the best songs are when cantrell would sing and layne would harmonize(brother)....and cantrell was the genius of that band..finding layne was one in a million... he gave them that uniqueness that helped them rise to the top....he was brilliant...but he was fucked up..then he died ....and they paid proper tribute to him.. now they want to continue...why not?
anyone ever hear of the band "Talk Show"?
some might.... that was a decent record that got ignored because there was no name recognition...
it's not fair to the remaining musicians in my opinion to say "one of 'em is gone so they need to change their name".. they ALL built that name.. not just layne.

there are only a handful of bands EVER that could not/ would not/ should not continue under the same name without a member that has died...
Zeppelin
The Beatles
The Doors
Pantera

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

Let's not forget, Jerry wrote the bulk of AIC material, just look at songwriting credits on all the albums. No doubt it will be different without Layne, but to say AIC was Layne Staley alone is like saying GN'R is Axl alone.

Board footer