You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Rob Zombie's Halloween 2

James wrote:

If Dimension didn't already have the promotional wheels turning for this, I'd suggest they just shelve it and hire a new director and writers so they can start over.

Laurie goes from the girl next door to a party girl within hours, even after her parents are murdered? If he was gonna ruin the Loomis character, he should have just let him stay dead in the first one.

Zombie cant write. Period.

I wish the version this reviewer watched would leak.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I do too. Then i'd know.

I don't know if the "within hours" comment was sarcasm or not. But just for factual sense, I believe there's a 2 year gap that occurs in the film that this reviewer is not referencing. I believe the opening is supposed to pick up directly where 2007 left off, then 2 years pass, and we pick up with the characters after that time.

Ironically i've been looking for press on this recently with only a couple weeks away, and the promo wheels aren't turning. Very little outside of an internet geek actively searching, is really out there.

Me thinks Dimension knows it's a pile.

It's sad really. I was REALLY hoping for this generation's Halloween III (a great film, continues to be underrated), and instead, it looks like Zombie churned out his Halloween 8.

Speaking of which... what if? What if something just might come out, that'll make Halloween: Resurrection look like a good film in retrospect. Shudder the thought.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

The main problem with H2 is that they're working their way backwards in a non-sensical sequence towards a film simply called "H".

71GF7SEW2EL._SS500_.gif

h6-big.jpg

But seriously, those abbreviations are so 9T's, and they don't get better with H.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I take it you're not a fan of this twittering culture.

Thanks for posting that pic of H6. Had totally forgot about that flick. Gonna go add it to my queue.  Too bad they felt the need to promote it as "the spanish answer to Hostel".

edit: a HUGE 14 to anyone that would consider H20 "non stop scary".

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

The funny thing about H2O, and is when I watched it in theaters in '98, I walked out thinking it was 'okay, nothing special'. I guess I still wasn't over the death of Donald Pleasence a few years earlier, and still thought ANY 'Myers' Halloween film without him was blasphemy.

In hind sight... H2O is a FAR better than given what it's surrounded by. It's not like finding gold in a pile of shit, but more like finding silver or platinum in a pile of shit. Good, but not the best.

Think about it, it was preceded by Halloween 5 & 6. And was followed by Resurrection & Zombie's Halloween. H-O-L-Y JEEZ.

Even though it was Scream with special guest star Michael Myers, the film seems damn good in comparison. Or at least the most 'worthy' post Halloween 4.

Scary, no. None of the Halloween sequels were scary.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

I take it you're not a fan of this twittering culture.

If by tweeting you refer to mash-ups and abbreviations, in this case I have more of a problem with it spilling over to the fundamental plot elements of cohesive storytelling than the corrosive effect it generally tends to have on the English language. In that sense, the Age 2 throwaway is a fitting one.

Based on the plot premise, the trailer and other promotional material, Zombie's putting The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Friday the 13th and Halloween all in the same blender, digging up the masked psycho-killer archetype of Leatherface, which proceeds to mingle with his dead mother in a Jason Voorhees fashion, while all this is wrapped around the non-persona of Michael Myers.

That's the whole point as to how greatly he undervalues and mistakes the comparative merits of the Halloween franchise. It's not as simple as whether or not Michael runs; it's about the fact that you should be dealing with the evil incarnate, a boy who was dealt a bad hand back in the day (in Carpenter's original, no tangible psychological profile is even established, let alone the environmental factors explored). 

Building the monster to a more varying degree by masquerading him as a hobo or whatnot is not a bad turn per se, depending how it'd be handled. But when you start explaining away what makes him tick behind the mask, you're setting yourself for an uphill battle, not in terms of fanboys with nothing better to do than to moan and complain, but with the principle effect the character has on the audiences.

In a way, Myers has always been the inverted Deus ex Machina; a jack-in-a-box boogeyman ready to jump out at any minute the suspense needs to be kicked up. A complete blank with no discernable personality, he exists and is defined via his surroundings and the single-minded bloodlust occurring therein. 

Of course, he was a product of his time. In the 70's, the American culture had an opening for youth gone off the handle; take a look at The Exorcist and try figuring out any other reason for Regan's possession than the McGuffin of being possessed by the Devil himself. The concept is played out with a straight face in order to comment on fatherless family-units in the wake of Vietnam and the plights of Catholic priests trying to pass consolation to those left behind, while even they themselves have a problem figuring out what caused the world they knew get so lost in the mist.

In the early 90's, we were alternatively treated with sexier and more relatable horror icons, as is evidenced in Bram Stoker's (or rather, Coppola's) Dracula and Silence of the Lambs. Evil was no longer such for the sake of it, but rather, was vested with a sense of aristocracy, a Napoleon imprisoned to a mental asylum or secluded to a Carpathian chateau, a charismatic conqueror from the old days, carefully readying himself to return to our world as the harbinger of an apocalypse, setting the course towards a new world order.

This is, of course, the king in the mountain myth, which considers a fallen hero, now unkempt and asleep, hiding deep in a mountain cavern or a supernatural dwelling place. Whenever discovered, he traditionally asks whether the ravens still circle the mountaintop. If the answer is affirmative, he casts out his discoverer in saying, 'Begone! My time is yet to come!' The king would only surface in the wake of a deadly peril or some other monumental shift in the history of his people.

Tolkien's title of choice for the closing book of the LOTR trilogy was, therefore, no coincidence. The amusing thing is that the horror film culture has opted to beef up their follies by labeling them with Messianic qualities, with the intention to have them viewed as Antichrists, although not without the appealing and redeeming qualities nor without method to their madness.

Obviously, this creates more than a few paradoxes as opposed to the traditional evil incarnate mannerism of the original Halloween and the era of cinematic psycho-killers it represents. If Zombie would really have the guts, I'd have him kill Myers in the opening sequence and leave everyone wonder why people continue to turn up dead in similar manners. That I consider to be a more accurate portrayal of both the Antichrist and the Evil incarnate; something which cannot be pointed squarely into a troubled individual, but what would lurk in the heart of every man, in the evil that they do,

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Loomis said it in the original... "evil".

That's all he ever needed to be. A force of nature, no different than a hurricane. At least with the Thorn explanation in Halloween 6, they attempted to use mythological beliefs of the ancient druids (albeit GREATLY exaggerated), at least it was that of belief, and not just some pissed off KISS fan in a mask. But fans didn't like that explanation, because it was presented in a horrible film, and they didn't like the concept of Myers being controlled. But I think the massacre of the neo-druids, proved that he could not be controlled, and it went back to that force of nature thing.

Anyways, BRILLIANT post copper. Karma.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

I will wait to rent this movie. At the Red box that is.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

The last two viewing experiences under the title "Halloween", have been Resurrection & Zombie's Halloween, and especially with Friday The 13th 2009 earlier this year...

For the first time ever, I think i'm gonna sit back, read some reviews, mull it, and most likely not see it.

Normally, i'm opening day.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Board footer