You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Dave Navarro on Chinese

James wrote:

I've listened to Hendrix, mainly in my teenage years. Now you're at the point where you're using albums instead of "legendary songs". In comparing Hendrix to Slash, you have to use his entire discography while comparing it to a couple Slash songs.

If you're going to compare discographies, do it fairly.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
Neemo wrote:

i cant beleive a passing comment has turned into Dave joining gnr and a slash/navarro comparison

I can't believe you can't believe it.  How long have you been here?

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

You guys are nuts!  This forum is crazy!  HA!  I do prefer Hendrix to Clapton.  The best "player" of the Founding 4 of rock was Beck.  But the best all around player/song writer, image, etc, was Jimmy Page.

Dave Navarro is a decent player, but really not in the same league as Slash, even if he can play all of Slash's solos note for note.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

When is the last time Navarro played with this much passion?

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=uqwlSzLiAzQ

Bright Eyes 2005
 Rep: 27 

James Lofton wrote:
madagas wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

So does Hendrix. Actually, a case could be made that he only has one.

Don't even remotely compare Slash to Hendrix in any way....I am being serious about that. Songwriting ability, playing, influence, style...in every way Hendrix exceeds Slash.

The Hendrix discography is pretty damn weak. It was a decent output considering he wasn't on the scene for very long, but let's call a spade a spade.

As far as influence goes, of course Hendrix trumps Slash in that department. I don't think any guitarist was as influential as Hendrix. Doesn't mean he's buried with a ton of legendary material.

Purple Haze
Voodoo Child

second tier:

Crosstown Traffic
Hey Joe
All Along the Watchtower

The rest of his material give or take a few songs is pretty much irrelevant.

You have to be kidding??

Sky Dog wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

I've listened to Hendrix, mainly in my teenage years. Now you're at the point where you're using albums instead of "legendary songs". In comparing Hendrix to Slash, you have to use his entire discography while comparing it to a couple Slash songs.

If you're going to compare discographies, do it fairly.

the fact you are even comparing them at all is a little silly....with all due respect. And, don't insinuate I am desperate in this argument. This is a complete knockout. Comparing Slash to Hendrix in any capacity is like comparing Axl to Dylan......WAY WAY WAY in different leagues.;)

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I'm not the one who brought up Hendrix. You said Slash only has two "legendary" songs, and I simply stated you could say the same thing about him.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

different sports
not different leagues

R.B. Huckleberry
 Rep: 2 

Smoking Guns wrote:

When is the last time Navarro played with this much passion?

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=uqwlSzLiAzQ

"Three Days"

Von
 Rep: 77 

Von wrote:

How would we like to compare him to Dylan? As a vocalist he's clearly superior. As a lyricist/songwriter, in my opinion, he's superior as well. I don't like Dylan. Actually, I fucking hate Dylan. I don't much like Hendrix either. Not my style. I think Duane Allman was a better, more inovative player around the same time who also died young and receives little to none of the recognition on the scale Hendrix does. I've got respect for Hendrix, sure, but I'm tired of people in all walks of life, be they critics or fans, making these assumptions about the untouchables, the greats, the ones you just don't fuck with. "Well, they're not Zeppelin!" Fuck Zeppelin, too. My point is that we shouldn't bother with the comparison at all. For as many people as would scoff at comparing Slash to Hendrix or Dylan to Rose, there are as many more who would see things the other way around. Everybody's got an opinion, but the idea of these gilded bands and artists really needs to die if music fans are ever going to be allowed the freedom of a real, intelligent debate. Until that happens, no point in comparing, it'll just turn into a mess.

Board footer