You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Re: Beating A Dead Horse

Saikin wrote:

I walked into Hastings today and saw that they had Chinese Democracy on the Best Sellers rack.

Is it now being offered at other retailers?  It's the first and only time i have ever seen it anywhere but Best Buy.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Hastings exists on the west coast?? Wow. Had no idea. I remember Hastings when I lived in Missouri back in the mid 90s. They had 49 cent movie rentals, and new releases were $1.49 for 2 days.

They actually pushed that Sympathy for the Devil disc pretty hard. Had a huge rack of them near the front of the store with other hot selling mainstream acts of the time(Live, Hole, etc.). They were also selling the Japanese import of Soundgarden's Superunknown album.

Gunslinger
 Rep: 88 

Gunslinger wrote:
D-Machine wrote:
Gunslinger wrote:

For the lack of promo I definitely think that it is selliing well.  As far as world sales it is #15 after five weeks, I wouldn't call that bad.  It also went platinum in a fairly quick manor (world sales) so again I don't see that as too bad.

Many argue (and don't get me wrong they are good arguments) that CD had a HUGE amount of promo over the past 17 years.  I can't deny that BUT my argument here is that the promo has been a double edged sword.  Because of the delays (mostly) I think the album went from "mythical" to "joke" in many peoples' minds so in the end I'm not sure this promo really helped much.

I agree but they get no pass because it is their fault.

...And I agree with your statement.  So many blown chances it's not even funny, even NOW!

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

I don't think the kids of today are buying it.  I think the old fans are still trickling in to get their copy.

And see that's the problem right there. This album is so instrumentally different from the old GN'R catalog, that they NEEDED it to attract new fans. A new generation that connects with the new band. Hey, I might know the old band, but I myself, have only see the new band live.

The problem is, it's not catching on with a new casual audience. I know people hate to hear it, but YES, for this album to be a success, it HAD to appeal to a Hinder purchaser or Nickleback, type of consumer.

It ain't. And BECAUSE of it's different sound, old Gunners, whom they would rely on for sales, aren't busting down doors for the album, because it sounds nothing like classic GN'R.

They double penetrated themselves with this.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

I was surprised to see CD for sale in Kmart (Aussie Walmart equivalent) today, as it wasn't there when it first came out. It was on the top shelf of the top 30 Cds section.

The album is boring,I tried to listen to it again and it made me fall asleep,and I am being serious (not about the album being boring,but I did fall asleep while listening to it),but then again I am old (33 years old) 16

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

I still feel that CD isn't the great amazing album people try to make it out to be BUT it is still miles ahead of the other shit that passes for rock these days.

That isn't saying much I know, but I rank CD right behind Death Magnetic.

Sky Dog wrote:
Slash_McKagan wrote:

The album is boring,I tried to listen to it again and it made me fall asleep,and I am being serious (not about the album being boring,but I did fall asleep while listening to it),but then again I am old (33 years old) 16

\

old my ass, I just turned 42 yesterday. Happy Birthday to me!:peace:

Bright Eyes 2005
 Rep: 27 

Gunslinger wrote:

For the lack of promo I definitely think that it is selliing well.  As far as world sales it is #15 after five weeks, I wouldn't call that bad.  It also went platinum in a fairly quick manor (world sales) so again I don't see that as too bad.

Many argue (and don't get me wrong they are good arguments) that CD had a HUGE amount of promo over the past 17 years.  I can't deny that BUT my argument here is that the promo has been a double edged sword.  Because of the delays (mostly) I think the album went from "mythical" to "joke" in many peoples' minds so in the end I'm not sure this promo really helped much.

I still think laying low after the release was a good move in the long run.  ACDC is becoming too cliche, and is now teetering on the edge of "over-hyped".  When I see douchenozzles head to toe in ACDC gear they bought at Wal-Mart, all I can think of is "how lame".  GNR originally became cool, because they came from somewhere real, without mega-media hype bought and sold by the label and the uber-capitalistic machine.  It was tough to find those killer GNR t-shirts in 87 that the hipsters somehow had, which made them cooler (kind of the same theory on why it's better to sell out a smaller theater show as opposed to playing a half-full arena--one maintains a "cool" factor, as opposed to "sell out" factor). Selling your soul to push units is counter-productive in the long haul.  All I know, is that being a piece of the Wally-World machine reeks of "sell out" and lameness.  Just my two cents, but something to consider.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

Give me a minute: so the Best Buy deal wasn't selling out?

Board footer