You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: GNR go Gold

James wrote:

A U2 record would go multi-platinum even if it was being sold at lemonade stands only.

Nothing can stop U2. Bono himself couldn't sabotage its release even if he wanted to.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

A U2 record would go multi-platinum even if it was being sold at lemonade stands only.

Nothing can stop U2. Bono himself couldn't sabotage its release even if he wanted to.

Yeah, you're probably right.  But sales are down all across the board, it isn't just with GNR.  Maybe U2 will be immune to the doomed economy, we'll see I guess.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
faldor wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Yeah, you're probably right.  But sales are down all across the board, it isn't just with GNR.  Maybe U2 will be immune to the doomed economy, we'll see I guess.

Oh I agree. Sales are down on everything, and I wasn't necessarily trying to start a GNR vs U2 thing. Just stating that U2 is pretty much invincible when it comes to releasing music. They release it, the public opens up their wallets. Not only does U2 have a loyal fanbase, the size of that base is massive. Like millions of others, I will be there on release day to buy the disc.

U2 has always been fan friendly, and they have never burnt any bridges to their base. They also don't have a mile long list of excuses on hand every time the wind blows. They say something, they do it, and they do it now. Fans respond accordingly.

This is why bands like U2 and Bon Jovi can sell out any venue regardless of its size and can still sell millions of records in the internet era.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

I respect U2 and I consider them one of the greatest bands ever but I personally have never been able to get into them.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
D-Machine wrote:

I respect U2 and I consider them one of the greatest bands ever but I personally have never been able to get into them.

Yeah me too.  I actually used to hate U2 because my older sister liked them.  She actually liked GNR too and I hated them as well.  It wasn't cool to like what your older sister liked.  Needless to say I quickly changed my mind on GNR.  I no longer hate U2, but I don't own any of their albums, have never bought or illegally downloaded any of their songs.  I like some of their songs, if they come on the radio I may think twice about changing the channel, but I don't really get them either.  I went to see a U2 cover band a few years back, it really wasn't my choice, I just went along for the ride.  The guy dressed as Bono and did the whole rap, it was entertaining.  But yeah, never really got into them and I doubt I'll start now.

gnfnraxl
 Rep: 43 

gnfnraxl wrote:
faldor wrote:
D-Machine wrote:

Yeah me too.  I actually used to hate U2 because my older sister liked them.  She actually liked GNR too and I hated them as well.  It wasn't cool to like what your older sister liked.  Needless to say I quickly changed my mind on GNR.  I no longer hate U2, but I don't own any of their albums, have never bought or illegally downloaded any of their songs.  I like some of their songs, if they come on the radio I may think twice about changing the channel, but I don't really get them either.  I went to see a U2 cover band a few years back, it really wasn't my choice, I just went along for the ride.  The guy dressed as Bono and did the whole rap, it was entertaining.  But yeah, never really got into them and I doubt I'll start now.

Hmmm!  Weird.  And I say that with respect.  While I'm not a U2 nutswinger or fanboy, I still have to recognize their importance.  The Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby are two of the greatest rock records of all time.  After that I found myself liking their albums a lot less.  Not that they were bad records, but none of those albums are on my regular rotation.  But when a song from Joshua Tree or Achtung plays, man it's hard to not be impressed.  And by the way I do agree that if Axl treated his fans just half has good as U2 does then we'd be treated like gold.

-D-

-D- wrote:
gnfnraxl wrote:
faldor wrote:
D-Machine wrote:

Hmmm!  Weird.  And I say that with respect.  While I'm not a U2 nutswinger or fanboy, I still have to recognize their importance.  The Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby are two of the greatest rock records of all time.  After that I found myself liking their albums a lot less.  Not that they were bad records, but none of those albums are on my regular rotation.  But when a song from Joshua Tree or Achtung plays, man it's hard to not be impressed.  And by the way I do agree that if Axl treated his fans just half has good as U2 does then we'd be treated like gold.

Thats what we were saying that we see their importance and I can fully understand why they are so highly thought of, me personally, I just have never gotten into them. I am not a huge fan of Bono's voice and there are a few songs i like. Walk On is one of my favorite songs ever and I liked Beautiful Day and Vertigo.of course the other famous hits etc.

I have never owned a U2 album though and "Walk On" and that song "stuck in a moment" I think are the only two I've ever bought.

gnfnraxl
 Rep: 43 

gnfnraxl wrote:

And I'm saying you guys should give TJT and Achtung a chance.  *lol*  But to each his own.  Just weird hearing of someone not owning one U2 album.  I thought my Grand mother was the only one.  *lol*  Although I could be surprised and find a U2 album in her cd collection.

-D-

-D- wrote:

I may Torrent a couple and see what I think.

I love this discussion, i know we are well off the beaten path but I love message forums where discussions get a little off topic and turn into a really cool beast.

To get back on Topic though:

I just wonder if the 20k GNR sold last week will be an indication of the numbers it will pull from here on out? OR was it just cause it was the week after Christmas?

I really admire and respect GNR fans that can turn this into something positive. I can't.

Gold isn't bad I don't guess... 2 million worldwide is pretty bad though.

I know in the Rock God thread people were discussing certain other bands and even those that kinda bombed in the US still moved 6-8 million worldwide. so the fact GNR aren't the overseas phenomenon we all thought for me is WAYYYYYYYYYYY more shocking than the US number.

Sky Dog wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHXBOoDm … re=related

the good thing is Tommy and his brother were so cool that all you blather is meaningless.

Board footer