You are not logged in. Please register or login.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

Re: What Are You Listening To?

PaSnow wrote:

I don't get the Taylor hate. I mean, I get it, the whole 'she only sings songs about 15 yr old breaking up with their boyfriend etc'.  But purely talent, she can do 'pop' up their with Lady Gaga & Katy Perry, but also sing folk/rock like the tops.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
James wrote:

I'm no expert but isn't Swift the one who begged her rich daddy to make her a star when she was a teenager...so he did?

Kinda making a spin. One could say the same thing about Beyonce or something.  She grew up outside of Philly, far suburbs, basically near Reading, PA. I think she was very talented by like 13/14, and it was obvious she was heading somewhere and looking for a contract and label. I think her parents did pull her out of school and move to Nashville, but it was more due to signing a young, up & coming musician type contract. By what, 17 she was writing hits (15, Tim McGraw etc).

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I just listened to that. Ugh...

It's like a robot singing. In a few years she'll have AI whipping these songs up. What a sad state of affairs when THAT is the biggest pop star on the planet.

People like her never would've made it in the 80s or 90s.  Not enough talent or personality. She would've been drowned by the cream of the crop.

Writing hits at 17? More like ghostwriters writing her hits at 17.  Having said that, this might be a tad unfair criticism as many pop.stars even back in the day had help writing songs and in the case of someone like Whitney, she's not writing anything at all.

Her story sucks. Put her in a poor neighborhood as a teen, give her a guitar, she never rises up out of the fray. There's nothing to distinguish her from the rest of the pack.

Just listened to a couple more random songs on youtube. They sound just like the song you posted.

She sings about breakups? Does it ever sound like she ever loved or hated the guy in these songs at any point? 

What's considered her best song?

Beyonce is just as bad.... maybe worse. Someone like that does not deserve her level of fame and fortune. Isn't she the one who won't allow assistants or their entourage to look her in the eyes?

Just a garbage human being.

I remember Destiny's Child. Never would've imagined her becoming what she did.

James

James wrote:

While watching her crap, another amazing Sinead video popped up in my recommendations....

Mandinka live from The Value of Ignorance concert DVD. Other than the artsy fartsy effects added and zooming in on her making it feel like a video instead of a concert, this is better than the Grammy performance.

It's like a rmore rock version of the song.

Let's see Taylor or Beyonce tackle that song. tongue

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
James wrote:

Ive only heard a couple of her songs over the years and don't remember their names.

I can't get into Swift or any of the pop tarts of today.

They aren't genuine artists...they are studio creations. There's nothing beneath the surface. They're all interchangeable. It's so sterile.

I'm no expert but isn't Swift the one who begged her rich daddy to make her a star when she was a teenager...so he did?

Give me Sinead any day and twice on Sundays over those types.

Listen to that song I posted above. There's more passion and intensity in that one song than there is in the entire discographies of these current tarts.

I don't know..maybe someday I'll listen to Swift, Ariana, etc and it'll speak to me...but I have my doubts.

Last year I started listening to Avril Lavigne of all people...so anything is possible. She's a studio creation as well...but at least she's not trying to be something she's not.

James, the reason I like these two latest releases from Swift, is because it’s a complete departure from her usual bubblegum pop.

I was in the same mindset as you, Swift is zero substance, though well written, pop music.

Folklore and Evermore have completely changed that opinion. Both are melancholy, introspective, sombre kinda folk sounding (acoustic guitar and piano) indie pop. And they’re both absolutely fantastic.

James

James wrote:

I'll have to give em a spin. If I can get into some of Avril Lavigne's material, sky is the limit I suppose. tongue

What are the best songs from this material you're listening to?

List the top 5.

I remember a couple years ago reading something about her wanting to become a movie star next.

I really can't stand these types like her Ariana, etc. They're not happy making literal truckloads of cash on minimal talent surrounded by a posse of songwriters and producers. They want it ALL...and they want it NOW!!

Tangent incoming....

I blame the industry for these types being allowed to take over. I said it years ago, focusing on rap/hip hop while letting other genres die was a crucial mistake that would create a vacuum in need of filling. What coincided with this was the reality/talent show fad.

In place of a Madonna... Taylor Swift. In place of a Gloria Estefan... Ariana Grande. In place of a Michael Jackson...Justin Bieber.

In place of rock bands who can fill arenas and stadiums you have rap artists who can barely fill clubs. This generation has a handful of manufactured pop tarts who can fill venues.

This will become a big issue in the coming 10-15 years as most of the iconic artists/bands are dead or too old to tour.

The music industry, which has weathered many storms over the years...will soon face its biggest crisis.

The quality or lack thereof with music completely altered its role in our culture. It has no genuine impact anymore. It is background noise to whatever is going on in your life. Disposable music coming from disposable artists on disposable devices in a disposable culture.

It shouldn't have been this way.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

These are some of my favourites from the last two Swift albums.

But there are so many more.

If you are unmoved by Exile and My Tears Ricochet, then Taylor Swift just isn’t for you. You can see and hear her pain in those performances

James

James wrote:

That second song is the best one.

I've heard the melody in that third song before but can't place it at the moment.

God she just drones on and on....

I really don't get the appeal.

What's her best song from that period she was trying to be Shania Twain?

James

James wrote:

Gotta cleanse my palate....

James

James wrote:
James wrote:

I really don't get the appeal.

Actually I do....

It's sterile, paint by numbers, cookie cutter pop put together by her and a group of songwriters and producers forr mass consumption.

It makes 1980s Madonna sound like spontaneous jamming from a basement.

It's the perfect soundtrack for the sterilized, big tech dystopia we've fallen into.

Edit

I wish Bill Hicks was alive. Id love to hear him rant on Swift. Hicks really hated 80s mall culture that spawned Debbie Gibson, Tiffany, etc.

He'd have a field day with her....

Board footer