You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

Re: Comparing Axl Rose to the greats

Well, I don't think of Axl when I hear Shadows. But I'm not A7X expert either. But still, that's one band. How many bands out there are rip-offs of AIC or Smashing Pumpkins?

Axl Rose is the best there is,the best there was and the best there ever will be:cool:

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

Top 5 frontmen of all time?  Wow.  I don't think so.  Maybe if he can release some more music over the next couple years (ha ha ha).

Lennon, McCartney, Morrison, Mercury, Jagger all rate better (and in most cases, significantly better) and that's just the guys that got their start in the 60s or early 70s. 

Axl is in the top 20 for sure, but top 5 isn't being realistic.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

of course its all personal opinion....but everybody has to talk about Axl....be it good or bad people still talk about him.

and even to this day there are diehard fans that weren't even alive when Lies and AFD were released...not to shabby for an artist with such a small catalogue. seriously his lasting ability says volumes

I used to think along you lines buzzsaw but after witnessing the fanbase online for the last few years i gotta say he ranks right up there....top 10 IMO for sure 19

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I think people are counting his stage presence and offstage antics along with his actual resume as an artist. if you go by resume alone, he doesn't rank nearly as high. Cornell would rank higher based on body of work and his ease at moving forward with the times.

Sure that resume is incredible, but its not yet big enough to warrant comparison to the likes of McCartney, Plant,etc.

Neemo

Neemo wrote:

I also agree there James

I'm just saying that based on the size of the resume, the following is incredible....even for us oldtimers 14 years after the band tanked we still come around every day waiting for this fucking guy to release new material or even speak in the media

something definately stuck with us, maybe its the fact that for that time period there was no better or bigger band, I dunno, but there is somethign about them

I remember an interview with Duff on the radio after UYI were released about how GNR ranked with led zep and the beatles...and he pretty much said the same as you just did, even at their height of fame. the bottom line is that over the lifetime of orig gnr, they have a very small catalogue, but how about quality over quantity? like a percentage of hits vs the percentage of songs released, i'm sure GNR is near the top of any list of bands in that sense

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:

Neemo, not everybody was drawn to Axl.  Some people were/are huge gnr fans because of other people in the band.  Slash and Izzy had a lot to do with the resume you're crediting entirely to Axl. 

They grew to be huge in a short period of time, but also flamed out almost as quickly as they rose to that level.  I'm good with Axl being top 20, maybe top 10 for a big fan of the band, but there's no way he's top 5 all time for anybody being objective.

Neemo

Neemo wrote:

I'm not crediting it to just Axl.

But Axl and Slash benefitted most from the success of GnR...its a simple fact

I like admire them all as musicians, but Axl and Slash's names are above and beyond the other guys as far as fame goes 19

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:
russtcb wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

Top 5 frontmen of all time?  Wow.  I don't think so.  Maybe if he can release some more music over the next couple years (ha ha ha).

Lennon, McCartney, Morrison, Mercury, Jagger all rate better (and in most cases, significantly better) and that's just the guys that got their start in the 60s or early 70s. 

Axl is in the top 20 for sure, but top 5 isn't being realistic.

Amount of musical output has nothing whatsoever with your performance on stage.

You're honestly telling me that McCartney and Lennon put on a better show then Axl in your opinion??

Yes, and it isn't even close.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Thats a bit of a stretch. The Beatles barely toured, and when they did it was with that poppy crap early in their career. I dont think a 30 minute show in a stadium consisting of songs such as "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" can compete with a two and a half hour GNR concert.

Board footer