You are not logged in. Please register or login.

NY Giants82
 Rep: 26 

Re: ARod tested positive for steroids in 2003

NY Giants82 wrote:
slashsfro wrote:

I have always been interested in how this affects the stats of those players who have used/tested positive for steroids.  Do you automatically just put a big giant asterisk next to their name?  I'll take Bonds as an example:  he won MVPS in 1990, 1992, and 1993 while steroid free.  I remember watching an old 1997 Giants game a few years ago and his physical stature wasn't as different as the 1992 Bonds.  Bonds steroid use started in 1999 so do you view all stats accumulated then with an asterisk?  What happens to players who used steroids for a short period of time like Andy Pettite?  Do they get lumped in with the massive cheaters?  What about Sammy Sosa who has never been shown to have taken steroids?  There have been rumors about him but there was never any actual evidence to support this claim.  If nothing ever surfaces (proof) do you keep him out of the Hall of Fame?

The interesting thing will be, if Congress takes this up again, where will it go? If they really begin looking in the NFL, they may find more than any body wants to know.

Since you brought this up, former 49ers DT Dana Stubblefield just gave federal investigators information which involves steroid use and distribution within the NFL.  He was one of the football players whose name was on the BALCO investigation.  So, I wouldn't be surprised if there is an upcoming shitstorm involving steroids and the NFL.  However the NFL does have far superior PR skills to weather whatever fallout may occur from a federal investigation.

Here's a link to the Stubblefield article:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3889356

Yep its a snowball effect. How many of our favorite NFL players are using some type of PEDs?

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Even Sosa will be kept out of the HOF, despite nothing other than a corked bat against him.

The HOF will not even give them a chance, and one of the guys in there that played with him and could vouch for him, Ryne Sandberg, hates his freakin' guts. So he's screwed.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Griffey is a first-ballot HOF'er

Maddux is a first-ballot HOF'er

Bonds is not
A-Rod is not (now)
Clemens is not

Watch n' see.

With A-Rod now a 'juicer', it's definitively clear for all to see. Ken Griffey, Jr. was the best 'player' of his generation, and Greg Maddux was the best 'pitcher' of that same era.

Indeed. If Bonds and A-Rod weren't jealous dumbasses, they would have surpassed Junior due to his injuries. But they fucked up and history will remember Junior as a great, honest, but unlucky player while the other two will be remembered as cheaters first and foremost.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
slashsfro wrote:

I have always been interested in how this affects the stats of those players who have used/tested positive for steroids.  Do you automatically just put a big giant asterisk next to their name?  I'll take Bonds as an example:  he won MVPS in 1990, 1992, and 1993 while steroid free.  I remember watching an old 1997 Giants game a few years ago and his physical stature wasn't as different as the 1992 Bonds.  Bonds steroid use started in 1999 so do you view all stats accumulated then with an asterisk?  What happens to players who used steroids for a short period of time like Andy Pettite?  Do they get lumped in with the massive cheaters?  What about Sammy Sosa who has never been shown to have taken steroids?  There have been rumors about him but there was never any actual evidence to support this claim.  If nothing ever surfaces (proof) do you keep him out of the Hall of Fame?

The interesting thing will be, if Congress takes this up again, where will it go? If they really begin looking in the NFL, they may find more than any body wants to know.

Since you brought this up, former 49ers DT Dana Stubblefield just gave federal investigators information which involves steroid use and distribution within the NFL.  He was one of the football players whose name was on the BALCO investigation.  So, I wouldn't be surprised if there is an upcoming shitstorm involving steroids and the NFL.  However the NFL does have far superior PR skills to weather whatever fallout may occur from a federal investigation.

Here's a link to the Stubblefield article:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3889356

Never mind the steroid allegations, Sosa got busted with a corked bat, which is just as bad as cheating with roids. And for the record, I think he was juicing for most of his career. I'll never forget when he went in front of Congress and pretended that he couldn't understand or speak English. What a load of horseshit. It was just as cowardly as McGwire pleading the 5th Amendment.

Regarding Bonds, he was on his way to being a top 5 or 10 all-time player, but he got jealous of the stats that juiced players like McGwire and Sosa were producing. He was insanely jealous of how much attention they were getting. I also think he was jealous of Griffey, who was named to the All Century Team instead of Bonds, despite Bonds having more MVP's in his career at that point. Junior was loved by everyone whereas he wasn't. He wanted to separate himself from Junior as well as put up similar numbers to the juicers so that he received the same kind of attention. Well he did it, he got busted, and now he's ruined his legacy forever.

Bonds should be ashamed of himself, especially considering how he spoke years ago about how proud he was of Hank Aaron carrying such a burden on his shoulders (racist death threats) so that players like Bonds and Griffey could simply play the game without that kind of bullshit. And yet years later he chose to cheat in order to break Hank's record. It's fucking disgusting that he didn't have enough integrity to remain clean and let history be the judge of McGwire and Sosa, rather than trying to one-up them like a petulant child. And in the process he let down all the greats of the game who came before him, especially Hank. Hank should have never had to watch his record get broken by a cheater.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

So it looks like A-Rod has admitted to it. While probably not being 100% truthful (claims to have used roughly from 2001-2003, yeah right, more like 1993-2008), it was the right thing to do.  I'm with Big Bri, it's just gonna be one cheater beating another. Bonds will probably get the nod for playing his first several years NOT in the roid era.

As for the NFL, they are getting a free pass. I think we probably don't wanna know how many are using, I wouldn't be surprised if it was in the 60-80% level.

Slightly off topic, I went to high school with an Alex Rodriguez & I still remember seeing an issue of USA today saying "Seattle drafts Alex Rodriguez with first pick" and noticing. I should have bought that issue & kept it.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

So it looks like A-Rod has admitted to it. While probably not being 100% truthful (claims to have used roughly from 2001-2003, yeah right, more like 1993-2008), it was the right thing to do.  I'm with Big Bri, it's just gonna be one cheater beating another. Bonds will probably get the nod for playing his first several years NOT in the roid era.

As for the NFL, they are getting a free pass. I think we probably don't wanna know how many are using, I wouldn't be surprised if it was in the 60-80% level.

Slightly off topic, I went to high school with an Alex Rodriguez & I still remember seeing an issue of USA today saying "Seattle drafts Alex Rodriguez with first pick" and noticing. I should have bought that issue & kept it.

Do you mean "an Alex Rodriguez" as in a random person named Alex Rodriguez, or do you mean THE Alex Rodriquez except "an" is a typo in your post?

And the right thing for A-Rod to do would be not cheating in the first place. wink

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

back then basically the whole league was doping nad its was pretty common knowledge....i dont understand why its such a big deal now...nobody cared back then when it was actually happening

i mean the HR record stood for a million years then all of a sudden it was broken 4 or 5 times in the span of a couple years....i mean c'mon

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
Neemo wrote:

back then basically the whole league was doping nad its was pretty common knowledge....i dont understand why its such a big deal now...nobody cared back then when it was actually happening

i mean the HR record stood for a million years then all of a sudden it was broken 4 or 5 times in the span of a couple years....i mean c'mon

The single season record was set in 1961 at 61 home runs. It was broken 6 times between 1998 and 2001 by 3 players (Sosa 3 times, McGwire 2 times, and Bonds 1 time). 22:laugh:

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

A-Rod finally admitted to it, but he ONLY used it from 2001-2003 during his tenure with the Texas Rangers.

Bullshit

Like I really believe he cut the 'roids, and then hit like what, 54 homers with the Yankees in 2007.

He's full of shit, he's still using them.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:

A-Rod finally admitted to it, but he ONLY used it from 2001-2003 during his tenure with the Texas Rangers.

Bullshit

Like I really believe he cut the 'roids, and then hit like what, 54 homers with the Yankees in 2007.

He's full of shit, he's still using them.

Yep.  I don't know whether or not he's still currently using them but his reasoning is faulty.  He expects most people to believe that he started using steroids after he scored a 10 year 252 million dollar deal with the Texas Rangers in the Spring of 2001.  He already had the money, so why would he have any incentive to start using then? He could have just coasted off that mega deal.  I think he purposely omitted his Yankee tenure because he didn't want to endure more crap from the NY media as they shit on him enough.

Board footer