You are not logged in. Please register or login.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

Re: ARod tested positive for steroids in 2003

BLS-Pride wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
BLS-Pride wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

I don't have a problem with Jeter, but ARod was by far the better SS, so if Jeter was such a class act, he should have moved for the good of the team.  I don't blame him for not moving, but he can't be sainted either.  He's as guilty as anyone else of having an ego, he just hides his better.

Jeter is the tenth captain in the teams history. He was brought up from their farm system. Jeter is and will ALWAYS be the Yankee shortstop til he retires. No one is better in the clutch than Jeter has been the past ten years. There was no need for him to move.

Isn't the other player being a better SS reason enough?  You can't captain from 3B or the OF?

It did not hurt the team in anyway with Jeter not moving. If it ain't broke do not fix it. A-Rod is a better fielder so he can adapt to other positions quicker and better than Jeter. Third Base is a world away from shortstop. I'm pretty sure Torrie wanted it this way as well. When Jeter can't hack it then A-Rod can step in if they can't find another SS.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

You can't say with any certainty that it didn't hurt the team.  Jeter is great at making the heads up play, but he's one of the worst defensive SS in baseball.  He made average plays look like great plays because he lacks the range of other SS - the stats prove this.  The play where he dove into the stands is a routine reach into the stands for most SS.  You could make a case that the Yankees could have won a WS with ARod at SS and Jeter at 3rd, you CAN'T make a case that they could have won one with Jeter at SS and ARod at 3rd.

Again, I have nothing against Jeter, but it is what it is.  The Yankees biggest problem is their loyalty to Yankee mythology or whatever you want to call it.  So what if Jeter's the captain?  That's a bigger reason why he should have made the move, not why he should have stayed at SS.

BLS-Pride

BLS-Pride wrote:

You talk as if Jeter sucks in the field? Not true dude. And A-Rod could have played Short and the Yankees would still not have won shit because of his inability to be a good player in the clutch. Keep the clutch player happy or keep the 100 million dollar playoff bust happy? Having A-Rod at short would not win a title so you can't make that case. I and any manager would go with the guy that you could always depend on and that is Jeter.

And Yankee "mythology" is nothing but loyalty and respect and there is nothing wrong with that. More teams should be like the Yankees are off and on the field.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

i want jeter to be cause juicing just so i can hear him be called jared cheater on ESPN 16

anyway everyone knows the yankees are a bunch of cheaters, so it wouldnt be a shocker if he was 16 j/k

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

To be completely honest, i've always wondered if the Yanks kept Jeter at SS, because it glorifies his worth. As a SS, Jeter is a Cal Ripken for them offensively.

But if you take Jeter, and you move him to 3B, I can name quite a few BETTER offensive 3B, and when I say better, I mean considerably better. It'd really knock Jeter's numbers overall down in the eyes of alot of people.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
BLS-Pride wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Jeter's already chiming in...

"Every year it's something," Jeter said Tuesday. - New York Daily News

Then go play for the fuckin' Royals. Or better yet, A-Rod should've stayed with the Rangers.

I have no sympathy for glory hounds that wanted to play in the 'spotlight', so they go to a big city/big media spotlight team, like the Yankees, Mets, Red Sox, Cubs or White Sox... then when they are hounded by drama, they complain.

Then you should've stayed under the radar and played somewhere else. New York, Chicago & Boston expect accountability from their teams. The Cubs might not have won shit in a century, but they certaintly have fired a SHITLOAD of people over time trying to make it happen.

In fairness to Jeter, he's been with the Yankees his whole career. Granted, he could have simply moved to another market after one of his contracts expired, but he chose to renew for a ludicrous amount. A-Rod deserves no sympathy from anyone in this, but it's not surprising that his butt buddy Jeter is sticking up for him.

Again that is what a team captain does. Especially when you the Yankees captain.

Team captain? They've been friends since A-Rod was in Seattle. You make it sound like Jeter is sticking up for him out of formality rather than friendship.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:

Boy lots to go over here

You talk as if Jeter sucks in the field? Not true dude. And A-Rod could have played Short and the Yankees would still not have won shit because of his inability to be a good player in the clutch.

As a defensive SS, Jeter STINKS. His uzr (zone rating) is the worst in baseball.  If you want I can dig up articles to back this point up.  His range is mediocre.  Now this doesn't take into consideration his hitting ability.  But on defense he is a liability.  Before you bring up the he won 3 gold gloves from 2004-2006, I'd like to point out that this same institution gave Rafael Palmeiro the gold glove in 1999 when he only played 30 games at first base!

Team captain? They've been friends since A-Rod was in Seattle. You make it sound like Jeter is sticking up for him out of formality rather than friendship.

Their friendship became strained when he made some negative comments about Jeter in a GQ article in 2000 or 2001.  I think he elaborated on this topic last year in an interview.

No one is better in the clutch than Jeter has been the past ten years.

This is the only part that bugs me in the Jeter vs Arod battle.  How come no one mentions Arods monster 2000 ALCS where he hit .409 and had an ops of 1.200?  The career numbers aren't that different, but Jeter has had a ton more at bats and games played in postseason.  If Arod were given enough at bats I think he could surpass Jeter's achievements in the playoffs.  I think some of this is that Jeter is a much more likable guy than Arod and he helped the Yankees win 4 World Series from 1996-2000.  But the clutch argument is overstated and somewhat media driven.  Again, I'm not taking anything away from Jeter--he is a HOF player who'll end up with 3,000+ hits.  He is just slightly overrated that's all.

So enjoy A-Rod, where the light on your ass is gonna be the brightest.

Hell, he could have taken less money and went wherever he wanted to when he became a free agent in 2007--Anaheim, Cubs, White Sox whatever.  But he CHOSE to stay with the Yankees and all the issues that come with that.  So I have zero sympathy for him in that regard.

BLS-Pride

BLS-Pride wrote:

Overrated? Yes? But in the clutch I don't think so buddy. You can't take that away from him. It's a fact and basically every sports caster I listen to agrees with that. I wouldn't say he is a great fielder but I wouldn't say he stinks. Range is important to a middle infielder but it's not the only ability you need to have to be a good shortstop.

A-Rod had one great series in the postseason. It doesn't matter how many times you have played when you get that kind of money there are no excuses. And he has been so bad in the playoffs it's laughable. A-Rod can't touch Jeter when it comes to playoffs.

Board footer