You are not logged in. Please register or login.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

Re: Quentin Tarantino's Inglorious Basterds (Trailer & One Sheets Inside)

BLS-Pride wrote:

That is fucking badass. I wouldn't mind having one of those posters. The movie looks good and I am sure Tarantino won't disappoint.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I started reading the script the other day but I had to stop myself. I don't want to ruin it.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

just picked up the DVD....i know i'm a bit behind the times 16

anyway it comes with a crapload of postcards...including those shots above smile

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

What did you think of it neemo?

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

i havent even seen the movie yet...

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Terrible movie that goes a long way in exposing Tarantino as a one trick pony, possibly even a hack. Apart from the cinematography and a good performance by Waltz there are few redeeming qualities in this overindulgent waste of celluloid.

The characters are paper thin and their motivations embarrassingly childish. All that happens from the first scene to the last gives the impression of being nothing more than a vehicle for a deluded film maker to showcase his self percieved coolness with gore, tacky humor and endless out of the place "homages" to classical art, before we reach the over the top climax making Tony Montana look like a down to earth and controlled personality in comparison.

The so called protagonists are just as vile, evil and unreasonable as the nazi's, perhaps even more so. But being that they are fighting the unchallenged evil doers in the history of Universe, the Nazi's, this is not only justified, it's "cool". A WWII film making you root for Hitler is nothing less than the definition of Epic Fail.

Tarantino should take his shallow cartoon characters and put them in his fictional universes where they actually work on an artistic level.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I knew Tarantino was a one trick pony when I saw Kill Bill Vol. 1.

I do not get AT ALL that dude's fanbase. Even in Grind House, Planet Terror was the better film with everyone just raving over Death Proof, which died when Russell was not on screen.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

Terrible movie that goes a long way in exposing Tarantino as a one trick pony, possibly even a hack. Apart from the cinematography and a good performance by Waltz there are few redeeming qualities in this overindulgent waste of celluloid.

The characters are paper thin and their motivations embarrassingly childish. All that happens from the first scene to the last gives the impression of being nothing more than a vehicle for a deluded film maker to showcase his self percieved coolness with gore, tacky humor and endless out of the place "homages" to classical art, before we reach the over the top climax making Tony Montana look like a down to earth and controlled personality in comparison.

The so called protagonists are just as vile, evil and unreasonable as the nazi's, perhaps even more so. But being that they are fighting the unchallenged evil doers in the history of Universe, the Nazi's, this is not only justified, it's "cool". A WWII film making you root for Hitler is nothing less than the definition of Epic Fail.

Tarantino should take his shallow cartoon characters and put them in his fictional universes where they actually work on an artistic level.

Having sat through this one in the theater, I will agree with you on the most part.  There is far too much talk in this one even for a Tarentino film.  I liked the middle section of the film involving Shossana only because there was an actual attempt at character development.  The Diane Kruger character was pretty laughable imo.  This is an over the top film but for me it was just so painfully slow and the runtime at like 140 minutes or so makes it even more so.

Another problem here is that he just tries to cram too much shit into the film.  We've got the Waltz character, the Shosana storyline, Bridget Hammersmark, and the entire bastards plus some cameos too.  There is barely any background info on the Inglorious Basterds.  We get scant information and nothing else.

I get the feeling that Tarentino blew his wad on his first two films.  After that he's pretty much relied on known actors and excessive violence plus marginally "cool" dialogue + mannerisms to cover for the weak stories.  He is similiar to DePalma in that both guys pay obvious "homages" to other better sources.

The Kill Bill films drew a big infleunce from Thriller (a 1974 Swedish film) and Tokyo Drifter (60s Japanese film).

I like his enthusiasm for underlooked films that are mostly foreign.  He gave a really funny intro on a Battle Royale promo.  But outside of that I have very little interest in watching any of his newer output.  I say this as a fan of his films (the first two primarily).  FWIW, Kill Bill 3 has been greenlit and should be released in 2014.

Sky Dog wrote:

Board footer