You are not logged in. Please register or login.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

Re: Wich one of this songs you like to see in the Next GN'R Album ?

PaSnow wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

What was really strange about it all, is how many people cooked up Prostitute to be a ROCKER. Where? I understand the whole fire & ice comment, but where does it ever say it's a rocker?

Then when it leaks, and it's a ballad... you'd thought they'd announced Osama Bin Laden was joining the band on drums.

I can't count how many people I remember, when they were still going by 'Song #2' and didn't know what it was called, were calling it one of the greatest GN'R tracks ever... then when they found out it was called Prostitute, suddenly it sucks.

'Cause of a fucking title? WTF?

It's funny you say that, just last night I was thinking about how the title probably does damage the song for fans in a way. Brings some hate, or disappointment. you see, for Guns N Roses, a song titled "Prostitute" better be that. A song about a girl on the corner, similar to Jane Says, but a rocker. I'm talking My Michelle meets Back off Bitch. Then, when this albums farewell tune comes on, it's nice, I like it in a way... but it doesn't resemble what I evnvisioned Guns N Roses "Prostitute" to be. Just a hunch, but if it had a different title, like Departure or Retreat, I think ppl would like it more.

Just my humble opinion. One thing I'm really starting to belive, the leaks killed this album.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

One thing I'm really starting to belive, the leaks killed this album.

That's true, but the never ending hype played just as much of a role as the actual leaks. Like a domino effect of sorts. Hype it continuously for years, then as we keep getting peaks behind the curtain, everyone wonders why the hype was even necessary, which lowered interest overall in the final product.

Nothing wrong with hype, but they should have taken a different approach.

Only two things might have led to a different scenario:

Album released much sooner(obviously).

An album not entirely based on all the leaks.

Casual interest in CD would have been higher if there had been more of an even split of leaks/new songs. Anything with a pulse that had a mild interest in this had already heard those tracks, NOT just hardcore fans.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

I voted for Seven

because about 5 years ago my girlfriend and I wrote a song called Seven Days, a rock song about the Seven Deadly Sins

I am curious to see what Axl's "Seven" is about cause I don't want people thinking I ripped his idea off.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

seven peopel that screwed him over 16

Slash
duff
izzy
steven
steph
erin
niven

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:
Neemo wrote:

seven peopel that screwed him over 16

Slash
Zutaut
izzy
The press
steph
erin
niven

Fixed your seven people. 16 

Seems like he's on good terms with Duff and Steven I really doubt could have screwed Axl over.  Could maybe even swap out Erin for 'the fans.' 16

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

This is sort of like people putting songs they haven't heard on a set wishlist.

I've heard Oh My God and would love to hear the new version. The song, if re-done properly, might kick my ass. The 99 version was a big demo mess. Get some Bucket in there, some Robin Finck heavy shit and re-do the vocals and I'm all for it. Is 'Leave me alone' Soul monster? What? Did I miss something? I'm glad to see Oklahoma being listed without it saying "Rhiad and the bedouins" before it. "Previously known as...". God that annoyed me for almost a fucking decade.

Coma
 Rep: 11 

Coma wrote:
DCK wrote:

Is 'Leave me alone' Soul monster? What? Did I miss something?

Yes Axl said changed that. SOul Monster working title was Leave Me Alone

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

One thing I'm really starting to belive, the leaks killed this album.

That's true, but the never ending hype played just as much of a role as the actual leaks. Like a domino effect of sorts. Hype it continuously for years, then as we keep getting peaks behind the curtain, everyone wonders why the hype was even necessary, which lowered interest overall in the final product.

Nothing wrong with hype, but they should have taken a different approach.

Only two things might have led to a different scenario:

Album released much sooner(obviously).

An album not entirely based on all the leaks.

Casual interest in CD would have been higher if there had been more of an even split of leaks/new songs. Anything with a pulse that had a mild interest in this had already heard those tracks, NOT just hardcore fans.

Yeah, but he's damned if he does, damned if he doesn't there.

I think the musical climate of rock was contributing factor. Rock was fucking dead, and honest to God, W. Axl Rose was the last great rock frontman to roam the earth.

People themselves put him up on a pedistal and made him bigger than God. Axl would shown 'em. He'd come back with this amazing new masterpiece, no different than AFD or a collective UYI, show 'em all who's still king.

But no one can live up to that. Not even John Lennon being resurrected and recording new material. NO ONE can live up to that hype.

But Axl also isn't going to do something stupid, like come out and say "my album fucking sucks. It sucks. Don't buy it" either.

The leaks didn't show weaknesses in the album. Where the leaks hurt, was the showed how much it's NOT your daddy's GN'R. CD ain't AFD II, there is no Slash, it might have some UYI influences, but ultimately it's a totally different beast.

That turned off alot of people.

It also didn't help the lineup changes over the years, while the album toiled in development hell among the hardcores. Sects & factions were created in the fan base. I've broken it down before, piece-by-piece, but every incarnation of GN'R, other than maybe the L.A. Guns one, has it's own diehard fans.

Then the album comes out with a mixture of everyone, and that's STILL not good enough. Bucket fans said "why's Bumble on there", and Bumble fans said "fuck that guy in the mask", and you still had the lame asses saying "where's Slash?"

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

But no one can live up to that. Not even John Lennon being resurrected and recording new material. NO ONE can live up to that hype.

I usually don't say it, but I kept going on and on about this back in 01, 02 and 03 at some other forum and I can proudly say now, "I told you so".

The hype was bigger than the Universe itself. It could not be met. Period.

I said in 02 that the album would be met with different categories of people.

First category is the people who hate it because they decided to hate it when they found out Axl continued on with the name. Sort of like a kid decides to hate daddys new wife because she's not mom. It's pretty retarded.

Second category is the people who expected a musical revelation not even matched by resurrection of your favorite religious character. It can't be met. There's a few of those around too. Being whiny because they had such high expectations and have to listen to an over-kill studio version of Madagascar.

Third category is the people who have some rational thinking left. To judge the music for what it is based on what it is. These can easily be spotted when reading reviews.

CD ain't AFD II, there is no Slash, it might have some UYI influences, but ultimately it's a totally different beast.

Actually, I was listening to some Illusion stuff back to back to the epics on CD and I was surprised how close they are to each other. The piano version of November Rain vs This I Love...it's like the songs are brothers.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Yeah i can't vote cos appart from the snipped of The General we have no idea what these actually will sound like. But basicly...i'm always insanely excited to hear ANY new music from GNR at any stage....so i'm just hoping that in a few years there will be another album smile

Board footer