You are not logged in. Please register or login.

war
 Rep: 108 

Re: 'Chinese Democracy' Officially Drops out of the Billboard Top 200

war wrote:

gnr paved the way for these new bands by releasing real, kick ass, and       in-your-face rock n roll and then submitted the thrown when they started making epic videos for songs like November Rain and hiring horn sections to play their tours. some people just got burnt out on the theatrics and complications and moved on to 'Enter Sandman and 'Smells Like Teen Spirit.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

Axl has the world right where he wants it!

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Okay, let's say you're right. Their image became that of self-indulgence and excess.

That still doesn't mean UYI would've sold HALF a year later.

-D-

-D- wrote:

I think most of u are wrong. I am not a Smashing Pumpkins fan, and if my friend called me up and said he had tickets and asked me to go, I'd have no idea that only 2 original members were in the band right now. I'd get to the concert and ask where the Asian guitar dude was

Some can maybe even say Axl didn't promote the album SO Joe Public who didn't know, wouldn't find out that this indeed was a new band.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
misterID wrote:

Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah....

Yeah. They were popular in Canada and all around the world. Whoopdie-fucking-doo. You've made it very clear they were very popular where you live, amongst your friends and highscool. Congratulations. That's not what I was talking about. Or the big media conspiracy that's out to destroy GNR for the sake of lord Cobain. You can let it go now roll

And Nope, never said people were intuned to the GNR saga in my "online bubble" because most people in the real world don't give a flying fuck about GNR enough to just buy their album because their name is on it. Maybe you should wake up. Which is what my original point was until you got your feelings hurt that I dare say that people thought a Slash era GNR was uncool. You have gone out of your way (along with a few others) to bash the new lineup and album. Every subject. Every thread. I'm telling you how it was here. It obviously wasn't like that in Canada, but it was here. And this was during the UYI period, not after. Sorry.

The album sold 2 million copies. And I'm sure there were people who bought the album just based on their love of GNR and Axl -- Then again, most of those people DO know what's up with GNR. The sales also had a lot to do with his music. Sorry. GNR isn't a band people are going to go out of their way to buy an album for no reason other than "GNR put out a new record." With all do respect to everyone you know who are apparently a representation to how everyone else in the world thinks...

Time and time again I have given credit, sympathized and even praised the new band. Axl on the other hand is a douche. The new album not my cup of tea. I did give it a 6/10 though and have said in the past there is 4-5 songs that I think kickass.  You're so  eager to find a troll or a hater that you're now making shit up. Oh Bono doesn't jerkoff to CD so he's a fucking asshole who hates and trolls.  roll

Also how in the hell does this discussion about old Gn'R being cool or uncool boil down to me or others hating on the new band? It has nothing to do with it!  And you can fuck off with the attitude about me thinking the people I know are a representation of what the world thinks. The people I know are a  representation of themselevs. If they're thinking it though chances are there are others thinking it as well. Just deal with it. FACT is there are people who bought this album thinking Slash was in it. FACT is there are people who bought CD because it was a new Gn'R  album. Name recognition!  It carrys some weight. To think it doesn't is just spitting in the  face of rock music history. Think about it.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

In my area GnR is and always has been a monster to contend with...they sold out shows in the 90's they sold ouit the shows in 02 and they sold out the shows in 06

the singles still get daily airplay on the local stations and if gnr news happens then the stations talk about it

point is that gnr has its hot spots and its not so hot spots...so whats the point in arguing "gnr isnt cool where I live" "well gnr is cool where i live"

I guess you could sing "Blame Canada" but at least we stayed true to the band, old and new, then and now...but there is only so much the die hards can do...without, interviews, promo and a tour you will not move units in this day and age

-D-

-D- wrote:

I still think the album didnt do well thanks to bad singles.  Singles determine album sales and nothing on CD is a radio crossover, lightning in the bottle everyone gets into song.

doesn't mean the songs aren't good, but none have that "IT" thing that makes people who arent fans want to rush out and hear it over and over and over.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

None of the songs have that super hit thing going on. This I Love would have, if it was 1992. Better is great but it changes too much in tempo and melody for it to work 100%.

AtariLegend wrote:

"Better", "Street Of Dreams" and "There Was A Time" are the songs that should've been priory singles.

Their the tracks with the chorus and the tracks you don't have to be a rock fan to enjoy.

I love "This I Love" and "Madagascar", but they are way too non-commercial for radio release.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Can I say for the record I have nothing against Canada or anywhere else, or anyones friends. My posts have been taken a bit out of context. My point was explained a million times over about GNR's relevance HERE, which was backed up by a few other people. And that GNR's name isn't as big or carries the clout they do elsewhere, or its as meaningful to the average Joe here as people think. You want to make this how segments of the world think differently, go right ahead. My point is in the states, where GNR is based. The name, imo, has done absoltuely nothing for them. And if it did, somehow result in any sales of people buying CD only on the name alone, thinking Slash is still in the band, it is so low that its not even worth mentioning.

Bono, I like you, I usually like your posts, this was nothing personally at all. But if you're trying to act as if you're somehow nuteral and unbiased against this band, then its kind of silly. And you show it on a regular basis.  I do admit .... Are you listening? ..... You are one of the more fair detractors of the new line up and Axl than anyone else here.

Board footer