You are not logged in. Please register or login.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

Re: 'Chinese Democracy' Officially Drops out of the Billboard Top 200

BLS-Pride wrote:

GUNS N' ROSES' new album, "Chinese Democracy" — which was released on November 23, 2008 as a Best Buy exclusive after a wait of more than 15 years — will officially fall out of The Billboard 200 next week after selling 2,500 copies in the United States in the seven days ending March 15.

Aside from Billboard and Spinner interviews and answering a number of fan questions at a GUNS N' ROSES message board, singer Axl Rose has done no promotion of any kind for "Chinese Democracy".

"Chinese Democracy" was officially certified platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) on February 3, 2009 for shipments in the United States in excess of one million copies. According to Nielsen SoundScan, the CD has sold 565,000 copies in the U.S. so far.

According to Hits Daily Double, the companion web site of music industry tip sheet HITS, GUNS N' ROSES is rumored to be planning a co-headlining tour with VAN HALEN.

RollingStone.com reported earlier this month that Axl Rose intends to take the current lineup of GUNS N' ROSES out on a worldwide stadium tour this summer. "Axl has been basically quiet, keeping out of the limelight for almost 15 years," GUNS manager Irving Azoff told RollingStone.com. "People think they know him, but they really only know what has been said about him by questionable people. He is a good guy and often misunderstood — he is a professional who has worked very hard to build and maintain a high creative standard for GUNS N' ROSES, which I support. We have some exciting things in the works this year for GN'R. I'm looking forward to it."

Contrary to a report posted on the MTV Spain web site, the band has absolutely no plans of playing Spain's Kobetasonik festival this June, according to RollingStone.com.

Ouch. 19

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

nice run.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Not a great sign, but a single could easily bring it back on the charts. Will it ever be back in the top 20? No, but it can easily coast in that 100-150 range with a second push.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

well if they were waiting for all hype to be gone completely then now is the chance 16

BLS-Pride

BLS-Pride wrote:

With a good tour and another single then I think things will pick up. Maybe a re-released album the way Axl wanted it or an extra disc or dvd could boost sales too. I don't think it's dead but close.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

The way I see it, it's dead, and I don't mind. Bring on the next one.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:

I think even from the beginning this was the most likliest of scenarios...a short run on the charts with no promo or touring...

WeTheLiving
 Rep: 10 

WeTheLiving wrote:

Well if there is a next one im curious as to how it will fare, since im assuming there won't be an initial "pop" in sales do to the hype factor that CD had. Im not knocking CD, but it appears that this intial "pop" was responsible for the majority of sales.

Arcade Roses
 Rep: 5 

Arcade Roses wrote:

50% (the comeback aspect) of the wait was in vein.  Indisputable proof has now been provided (on top of what I saw in HMV again the other day - a reduced CD now part of a 'two for £10' (circa $20?) offer).  For someone like me/us who stuck by the band through thick and thin, braids and buckets, it's a solemn and even self-questioning sight.

I don't even see how a rerelease is possible now.  Only surely the hardcores would be interested.  Things might have been different though if it had been the 2002 band, as Stinson's interview confirmed for the 300th time.

AR

BLS-Pride

BLS-Pride wrote:
bigbri wrote:

The way I see it, it's dead, and I don't mind. Bring on the next one.

I just hope there will be a next one.

Board footer