You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: 'Chinese Democracy' Officially Drops out of the Billboard Top 200

TheMole wrote:

True enough, but I can honestly say I'm not really into most of the album.

Judging by the sales, you and I aren't alone. Quite frankly, I'm surprised the album took this long to drop out of the top 200.

AtariLegend wrote:
DCK wrote:

So why bother with it?

Because some people would rather complain, than make a meaningful contribution to a thread.

Dude, whatever. You don't have to say positive things about an album for a post to be meaningful. That line of thought just makes one sound weak and unable to deal with an opinion that differs from their own. Does your idea of a meaningful thread look something like this:

OP - Chinese D is awesome

Poster 1 - Yeah

Poster 2 - Yeah. Kick ass.

Poster 3 - I love it too.

Poster 4 - I agree. I'm a nerd like you guys.

Yeah. Shit like that is real interesting. It's like when some dweeb starts a happy birthday thread for one of the band members and it ballons to 8 pages with a bunch of people saying h-birthday. Sorry, but lame is a good word to describe that.

NY Giants82
 Rep: 26 

NY Giants82 wrote:

It's not just if someone makes a criticism, I think most are okay with those. Its the people who have nothing positive ever to say about it. Its the same shtick in every thread. It gets really old, reading the same post, posted in every GNR-related thread.

TheMole
 Rep: 77 

TheMole wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:
DCK wrote:

So why bother with it?

Because some people would rather complain, than make a meaningful contribution to a thread.

Wait a minute here.

95% of my post was about how I feel they missed their chance at making a successful comeback and my reasoning behind it, in other words: totally in line with the discussion. Only the very last sentence noted my personal feelings towards the quality of the music on the album, clearly stating them as such: personal feelings.

I'm not the one posting single-line comments, now am I? I'm anxious to know what your post (quoted here) contributes to this thread...

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

I won't get into it with any of you about what is constructive and what is blind negativity and will just say this:

the quality of music is minimally indicative of the success of the album.

if the reason the cd only sold close to 3 million worldwide was due to it being a bad album:

you wouldn't see other artists with crappier albums selling double or triple that.

and

you would see the album doing poorly across the globe, not just the u.s.

with money, like axl or geffen has, you could successfully promote and sell axl farting into the microphone to some of the most mindless sheep that are spending their money or their parents money on music these days.

the reasons gnr only sold close to 3 million albums are:
- 3 million is actually a lot of albums these days
- the album only being sold at best buy where THE TARGET audience doesn't shop
- GNR is no longer relevant and has done nothing to become relevant by promoting itself or the the album since '02.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

It's done & while a tour may boost it somewhat, back to maybe Top 100 range, it won't do much more. As others stated, it's not indicative of the Quality of the album, but Axl and the label, mgmt etc lack of promotion is what really killed.it. Axl should have been on the phone giving radio morning shows & afternoon drives interviews all day, every day leading up to it, an SNL, Leno, Letterman appearance, etc...

The album has some decent songs on it, that could have been hits. But for some reason Axl didn't want to do the work & give the effort. I'm not saying he's lazy, I think there was some anger/animosity towards someone (the label) to where he said "fuck it, I don't care".

The leaks also killed it, esp the 9 song leak from this past September.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
war wrote:

I won't get into it with any of you about what is constructive and what is blind negativity and will just say this:

the quality of music is minimally indicative of the success of the album.

if the reason the cd only sold close to 3 million worldwide was due to it being a bad album:

you wouldn't see other artists with crappier albums selling double or triple that.

and

you would see the album doing poorly across the globe, not just the u.s.

with money, like axl or geffen has, you could successfully promote and sell axl farting into the microphone to some of the most mindless sheep that are spending their money or their parents money on music these days.

the reasons gnr only sold close to 3 million albums are:
- 3 million is actually a lot of albums these days
- the album only being sold at best buy where THE TARGET audience doesn't shop
- GNR is no longer relevant and has done nothing to become relevant by promoting itself or the the album since '02.

I agree with everything except 3 million world wide being a big seller.  Look at what a rock band with a 60 year old front man, AC/DC, did world wide.  Its more of a promotion thing, but still, there aren't any real "hits" or "singles" on the album.  Sales aren't a reflection on quality, but when we talk about Appetite, we always talk about Album Sales, so you can't have it both ways.  And then you have VR, they didn't even have the name Guns N Roses, but they DID promote and they DID have 2 hit singles.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

CD version 2.0 with a lot of promotion would sell even less.  People as a whole are so turned off by this album, barring a reunion, I don't know if Axl can ever have "that" comeback we were all hoping for.  The interviews didn't help and Slash's solo album being released this summer will likely out sell CD as well, dishing up another low blow to Axl and his ego.

TheMole
 Rep: 77 

TheMole wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

and Slash's solo album being released this summer will likely out sell CD as well

That would really surprise me. Unless he really pulls a Santana and has a few big cross-over hits, I really doubt he'll sell multi-platinum. Look at IFOCS, it did go Platinum, but that was not too long after the veritable GNR craze...

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
TheMole wrote:

Unless he really pulls a Santana and has a few big cross-over hits

i think that we should assume that there will be genre crossover songs

Board footer