You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: 'Chinese Democracy' Officially Drops out of the Billboard Top 200

Smoking Guns wrote:

Slash's solo album being released this summer will likely out sell CD as well

Yeah, let's not get ahead of ourselves here...

TheMole
 Rep: 77 

TheMole wrote:
Neemo wrote:
TheMole wrote:

Unless he really pulls a Santana and has a few big cross-over hits

i think that we should assume that there will be genre crossover songs

Songs sure, very likely, but hits? smile

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

I can't see Slash's album outselling CD, even with a hit single. I suppose anything's possible and depending on who appears on the album and a successful single or two and it'll definitely have legs but I'd be very surprised if it outsells CD.

Sky Dog wrote:

It's possible in my opinion...Slash is more popular than Santana.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
madagas wrote:

It's possible in my opinion...Slash is more popular than Santana.

i agree...slash is huge right now....hes got 3 generations (or more) of fans right now

12yo kids to people my parents age...and slash isnt shy about doing interviews and promo...hell even if you buy music mags there is at least one slash related advertisement in it

elmir
 Rep: 53 

elmir wrote:

all he needs to do is release a catchy song with Fergie on vocals, and all the kids will go nuts for it...simple as that...if he gets it right, not only would he be able to outsell CD...but he'd blow it out of the water completely...

drop in a few more names on that record which are hip and happening...some hip hop guys...and you got yourself a marketing dream...

and for the rest of us, populate the album with hardcore rockers like Slither...and he's back on top, as easy as 1, 2, 3...

AtariLegend wrote:
TheMole wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:
DCK wrote:

So why bother with it?

Because some people would rather complain, than make a meaningful contribution to a thread.

Wait a minute here.

95% of my post was about how I feel they missed their chance at making a successful comeback.

No... 95% of your post was "I can say honestly I'm not really into most of the album".

As for Otis quote... Dude you're a fucking troll, you're mistaken if you think I'm going to take your argument seriously 22.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
Neemo wrote:
TheMole wrote:

Unless he really pulls a Santana and has a few big cross-over hits

i think that we should assume that there will be genre crossover songs

Lets see, Fergie, Kid Rock, Ozzy Osbourne, Jack White, Chad Smith, yes, there will be cross over hits and there will be multiple singles. I expect a big push too, just look at guitar hero, Slash is still  huge name.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:

This album's going to reach number one any day now.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
war wrote:

I won't get into it with any of you about what is constructive and what is blind negativity and will just say this:

the quality of music is minimally indicative of the success of the album.

if the reason the cd only sold close to 3 million worldwide was due to it being a bad album:

you wouldn't see other artists with crappier albums selling double or triple that.

and

you would see the album doing poorly across the globe, not just the u.s.

with money, like axl or geffen has, you could successfully promote and sell axl farting into the microphone to some of the most mindless sheep that are spending their money or their parents money on music these days.

the reasons gnr only sold close to 3 million albums are:
- 3 million is actually a lot of albums these days
- the album only being sold at best buy where THE TARGET audience doesn't shop
- GNR is no longer relevant and has done nothing to become relevant by promoting itself or the the album since '02.

I agree with everything except 3 million world wide being a big seller.  Look at what a rock band with a 60 year old front man, AC/DC, did world wide.  Its more of a promotion thing, but still, there aren't any real "hits" or "singles" on the album.  Sales aren't a reflection on quality, but when we talk about Appetite, we always talk about Album Sales, so you can't have it both ways.  And then you have VR, they didn't even have the name Guns N Roses, but they DID promote and they DID have 2 hit singles.

ac/dc put out a decent album, promoted it, are touring it, and the album is selling well.

gnr put out a good album, did nothing to promote it, and probably won't promote any future tour  (unless they co-headline, in which case, it will be promoted by everyone involved but gnr). Their album didn't sell as well as ac/dc.

the appetite comment has nothing to do with me cause i don't , personally, choose to have it both ways. i like appetite because i think it is a great album. i liked it when it came out, before it was popular, so that wouldn't change if it stayed underground. 

velvet revolver may not be named gnr but it is 3/4 of the last known version of gnr and at a minimum 1/2 to joe public. VR also got busy while the gnr iron was still luke warm and put out a decent album and so the people responded by buying it. it was the closest to gnr they had. had CD came out at the exact same time as contraband it would have blown it out of the water IMO.

as far as cd lacking singles, i agree there are no 'Jungles and no 'SCOM's i'll give you that.

Keep in mind, though, these days the music comes last and that includes the singles. artists no longer tour to promote their albums. they promote their tours by releasing albums or leaking songs. if gnr toured this summer with bach and the suicide girls it would out sell the '06 tour.

i also don't think they've released the right songs. had they released 'sorry right before axl got chatty about his hatred toward slash this song could've created some buzz for the album. i also think ITW and SOD would make good singles.

Board footer