You are not logged in. Please register or login.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

Re: 'Chinese Democracy' Officially Drops out of the Billboard Top 200

BLS-Pride wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:
BLS-Pride wrote:

I'd give you 10 percent didn't know. But it's 2008 and Axl and new GNR references have been all over TV and radio. They played the VMAs in 02 and toured through out the 00's.

They toured the equivalent of two full years out of 10. That's not "throughout the 2000's" imo.

Played Shows in 01,02,06 and 07. That is more than enough to know who isn't in the band. 21

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

Oh and before people jump on me for using a friend as an example I apologize for not getting feedback for a stranger. I just use the resources available to me haha

Bono

Bono wrote:
BLS-Pride wrote:

I'd give you 10 percent didn't know. But it's 2008 and Axl and new GNR references have been all over TV and radio. They played the VMAs in 02 and toured through out the 00's.

Look at it this way BLS. You are intune to it. You're aware of anything Gn'R related. When it's in print it looks bold to you, when a mention of it comes on radio it's suddenly surround sound. Nothing Gn'R will slip past you or me or anyone else on these sites for that matter. It's like the guy who buys the new Porche in a small city. Fuck yeah he's the only guy in town with that car. Suddenly he's intune to it and he sees two identical Porches on the drive home.  The average Joe is not intune or aware of Gn'R when they are mentioned or written about. They dont' care so they do't notice and in turn they dont' know.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
BLS-Pride wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:
BLS-Pride wrote:

They toured the equivalent of two full years out of 10. That's not "throughout the 2000's" imo.

Played Shows in 01,02,06 and 07. That is more than enough to know who isn't in the band. 21

Yeah, but considering everyone of those shows had different lineups, it pretty much cancels out your own point, lol.

2001 - Axl, Robin, Bucket, Paul, Tommy, Brain, Dizzy, Chris
2002 - Axl, Robin, Bucket, Richard, Tommy, Brain, Dizzy, Chris
2006 - Axl, Robin, Ron, Richard / Izzy (select shows), Tommy, Brain (NYC/Europe) / Frank (NA), Dizzy, Chris
2007 - Axl, Robin, Ron, Richard, Tommy, Frank, Dizzy, Chris

Arcade Roses wrote:
Bono wrote:

I said from day one Sorry should've been a single.  For the most part that opinion got laughed at while others pushed for that cheese SOD.

About which no one - NA or the rest of the world - seems to have heard anything about since that supposed artwork leaked.  It hasn't even been discussed on the forums.

Anyone still wanna doubt this comeback was a failure?

The only saving grace for them now is the 'AFD effect' or new interest being gained and garnered in the possible tour/s next year.  But this album faced an uphill struggle even before the 'promotion-less' CD was released - due to a music industry crippled by illegal downloading (*ahem*), credit crunch, and various factors.  Cultural change - the decline of MTV, for instance, is another moot point.  And, of course, according to Axl, the record company's own unwillingness to promote and push a project that has put the out of pocket to the tune of some $13 million.

It beggars belief, really.  I'm just so sorry for the fans: and all who put their effort and faith into this project, well, some since 1993.

AR

AR makes great points. I've been saying this since the lackluster release back in November... what market?

What market is going to keep on board for this new GN'R other than us? How many promoters are going to sign off on half-full arenas, for the AFD-retrospective tour, how many times? It's been done twice, and although successful outside of the U.S., in GNR's home country it's been a lukewarm reception.

Who do they play these songs for? The casuals who buy the tix and don't want to hear CD songs? Those people?

Or do they start fresh, with a new lineup, and a new album, and try again?

Million dollar question...

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
Bono wrote:
misterID wrote:
BLS-Pride wrote:

I just hope there will be a next one.

I think its pretty safe to say there'll be a second. Going by his recent statements and attitude Axl has obviously not given up on this thing. The label made money. The band has proved they can sell 500,000 copies of an album in the US in just one store chain, with no promotion or original members. Still a pretty solid number in this day and for this band, especially.

I think he's still got some plans for CD. We'll see....

The band didn't prove anything. The album didn't prove anything. 500 000 copies did not sell based on this band or this album. Likely 99% of CD sales can be chalked up to the name GUNS N' ROSES.  The 500 000 copies was a forgone conclusion. We all knew it'd have a built in number. What's shocking is that they didn't build off of it. They have proved absolutely NOTHING with this release. Only that the vast majority of people simply don't give two shits about an Axl Rose solo Gn'R.  Fans on these sites can sit around and say the sales were pretty good actually considering. Well no they weren't. CD sales were a big dissapointment. The wait, the anticipation, the legacy of the Gn'R name, the revival of rock in 2008 with AC/DC and Metallica,  all these things should've contributed to much higher sales. 500 000 copies after 4 months on the shelves? It's an epic fail in terms of sales for such a highly anticipated album. 

I'm strictly talking sales so dont' anyone get their panties in a  bunch over the quality of the album.

No offense, but a lot of you guys have yet to realize that hardly anyone gives a shit about the GNR name anymore and haven't since 1993.

And yes, it sold 500,000 copies because of the album. I don't know what built in number you're talking about. Any old school fans could have heard most of the album a long time ago and knew what was coming. If they didn't like it they wouldn't have bought it. That imaginary group of people who bought it not knowing what was on it, just because of the name.... Does not exist.

2 million copies is pretty damn good sales for an album. Let alone 500,000, like it or not.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

Yeah, but considering everyone of those shows had different lineups, it pretty much cancels out your own point, lol.

2006 - Axl, Robin, Ron, Richard / Izzy (select shows), Tommy, Brain (NYC/Europe) / Frank (NA), Dizzy, Chris

The point I was trying to make was people knew it wasn't the Slash and Duff GNR but a new one.

Bono

Bono wrote:

MisterId you're clearly in denial if you dont' think the Gn'R name holds alot of weight and you're clearly in denial if you don't believe this album was gonna sell based off the name alone for a portion of sales.

misterID

misterID wrote:
BLS-Pride wrote:

The point I was trying to make was people knew it wasn't the Slash and Duff GNR but a new one.

They know what you're talking about, and what you're saying is true, BLS.

No one went in buying Chinese Democracy thinking Slash was playing on it. When they heard it on the radio, if they looked it up on the net, they would know it..... This new lineup and album has been talked about for over 10 years.

If anyone bought it only because they happened upon CD at Best Buy never hearing of the album before, bought it only because of the GNR name on it, still thinking Slash and Duff was in the band, I doubt that person had the ability to actually play the album for the lack of electricity under that rock they've lived in for 14 years.

Arcade Roses
 Rep: 5 

Arcade Roses wrote:

One thing I just don't buy into is that it will be another AFD rehash tour this time around.  It would defy logic at this point, although, as you say, Axl08, one has to look at the reception of the album, who is buying it and who is going to concerts, and ask yourself if this really would be a good idea for next time....

Azoff seriously needs to equal Man City's offer to Kaká when they next go to Buckethead, as I am sure they already have done [approached him, that is] given the current tour rumours.  It doesn't have to be money - a few heads need to be cracked together....

AR

misterID

misterID wrote:
Bono wrote:

MisterId you're clearly in denial if you dont' think the Gn'R name holds alot of weight and you're clearly in denial if you don't believe this album was gonna sell based off the name alone for a portion of sales.

You're the one in denial, refusing to give any credit whatsoever to this band.

The GNR name has had NO WEIGHT since 93... When everyone was calling them a joke back then.

How the name had an impact on sales was because WE were following the band/album all these years. The online community. Not everyone else, who really didn't care about GNR.

Board footer