You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: 'Chinese Democracy' Officially Drops out of the Billboard Top 200

misterID wrote:
BLS-Pride wrote:

But when it comes down to it they still sold tickets and put most of the asses in the seats. If they had came out with an original album in 93/94 things would have been way different.

Things might have been different depending on what that album sounded like. It's more to the fact that poeple did dog them and use words like cliche'. A lot of guys on here think the GNR name carried much more weight than it did. They were not looked on kindly after '93. People can blame grunge, the rise of Alt. Rock, the main stream press or even Kurt Cobain, but in any case it did happen. And the GNR name did suffer after 1992. So to think the name actually had all this clout is just wrong.

GNR only came back into relevance around 99-2000, when this whole Chinese Democracy thing started to happen and people started talking about them again.

The name means more now than it did in the 90's. And even the original band has more cred than it did in that 1993-1999 span.

But to argue that CD sold as much as it did just off the name is a joke. Everyone basically knows what's going on with GNR now.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

NO. Gn'R never did become uncool. Everybody on this sites says reviews dont' mean shit to them and who cares what jounalists say and who cares what other bands think. Now we're using articles who were fucking pandering to the Kurt Cobain era to justify a false sense of Gn'R being uncool? Kurt said it so it must be true. What fucking people were laughing at Gn'R in 1992? or 1993? the same people who were requesting November Rain nonstop? The same people who stood in line for hours to get tickets? This conversation has gotten borderline retarded cause someone is clearly making shit up. Gn'R never did become uncool.  I clearly remeber djing highschool danecs in 1998-2001 wheer November rain was one of the most requested songs by far.  Play Gn'R on any jukebox and peopel alwsy loved it. They simply stopped making music. Nothing killed Gn'R other tha themselves. this idea that Gn'r ahd become uncool is laughable.  There has never been a  documentary saying hwo the public turned on Gn'R casue it wasn't cool. This is just utter bullshit. Gn'R was not relevnt in 1999 they were dormant. They weren't uncool though. The public didn't care untill 2002 and for a fleeting moment at that. You are flat our WRONG misterID. Gn'R was shit hot in 1993. They were the most popular band in my highschool bar none.

misterID I hate to be a dick but you obviously don't have a clear perception of what was going on in 1993.  You sound more like a person who has bought into the Kurt Cobain "legend" that's been proped up by media outlets over the years.  The facts have been grossly twisted to make people nowadays think Gn'R was hurt by grunge or that they became uncool. It was never the case.
And if you can't grasp what I'm saying that the name helped in a  huge way than you're more lost than what youre' leading on.  You honestly think an album titled "Axl Rose" sells even as well as CD did? C'mon man get a  grip.

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

jorge76 wrote:

There was a point in the late 90's where anything 80's related was considered uncool, and for some people, I'm sure GNR were a part of that.  That was well after 93 though.  GNR were still considered cool through most of the grunge era.

What was that Jennifer Love Hewitt movie?  The party sucks, then a drunk dude jumps up on a stage to blast Paradise City, at first people are making fun of him, but pretty soon everybody's into it. 

That's really as close as GNR ever has gotten to being considered uncool, people might have made a crack, then went "Oh, I love that song".

And for the record, waaay too many 80's bands that were already dead or dying blame grunge for their demise.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

"FAG" Somebody in there called me a fag.

Can't Hardly Wait. Got a HJ while watching that movie. Oh the good old days.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
Bono wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Excellent point.

I said from day one Sorry should've been a single.  For the most part that opinion got laughed at while others pushed for that cheese SOD.

Yeah, but he's referring to the single being promoted with the timing of the Slash tirades.

Sort of like, "Slash is a cancer and he can fuck off, and this new song just released sums up my opinion better than these fan chats and Del interviews ever will". Granted, there was little interest in those Slash tirades and it had even started some fan backlash, but there might have been a bit more casual interest in this aspect and it certainly would have at least caused the track to chart somewhere on Itunes.

Even IF the song isn't about Slash, he could have used it as a marketing gimmick.

WOW! You read my mind.

I feel so dirty.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

IMO Guns N Roses started becoming "Uncool" when Metallica and their black album started selling out. The grunge era was just another dent in the armor.

misterID

misterID wrote:

Bono, I'm not saying this to prove a point, or be an ass. It is fact. There was a time in the 90's people considered GNR uncool.  And the fans got made fun of, too. It's the way times changed. Even the band are doing their best to distance themselves away from the UYI era and albums. I'm sorry. Go look up the biography's. They were seen as a bloated cliche'. They did not get the respect that they do now.

I was there, too. People made fun of them. And it wasn't grunge or Kurt Cobain's fault. Their music/image did get tired. And the alt rock scene exploded around them. Yes, they were still popular in 1992, but that was  eroding. Whether it is fair or not, they were losing cred big time.

With all due respect to you, your friends, your highschool, the dances you djayed, but I was there. Even I lost interest in them at that point. And it had nothing to do with Kurt Cobain. And there was some really lame shit going on with them at that time.

Just calm down, take a breath. If you don't think they ever stopped being cool, then fine. No one's telling you how to think. I'm telling you what I remember. GNR has never gotten a fair shake for how great they were. But you said yourself that there is/was some kind of media, Kurt Coabin-loving, anti GNR conspiracy that people are/were trying to paint GNR as uncool, so you must have seen these things that said that, despite you saying you've never actually read or saw anything to that point. So, which is it?

misterID

misterID wrote:

At least Bono doesn't act like a little bitch when we disagree, paxcow. roll

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

There was nothing that I can recall reading between 1990-1995 that painted Gn'R as uncool other than stupid comments from Kurt Coabin sayng the  bloated rockstar image was stupid. People who bought into that were sheep. U2 was as cool as ever in 1992-1993 and they were more over the top and bloated than anyone. The Gn'R thing being uncool is fabricated bullshit that has somehow crept into media over the  years by journalists who are lazy and who are trying to glorify the grunge scene and Kurt Cobain. It adds to his legend if they can print BS like "Nirvana was the demise of big 80's bands like Guns n' Roses" 

Guns N' Roses never had an opportunity to become uncool cause they went out on top... sorta. They burried themselves. Had Gn'R put out an album in 1995 or 1996 it would've been huge. They were still cool. November Rain was still at the forfront of peoples mind's, AFD was still legend, Slash was cool. Axl still had a bad ass reputation.

I remember reading   hell of alot more articles claiming things like "What the world needs now is Axl Rose" and things along those lines than people tryng to paint Gn'R as uncool.  If Gn'R was so uncool in the later half of the 90's why so much talk and speculation about a forthcoming album? Why the big uproar when Gn'R performed in 2002 at the VMA's? People never wanted Gn'R to go away and when they came back without Slash this version of Gn'R became uncool.   Gn'R never sold out their sound or cut their hair(which isn't a big deal but metallica took flak for it), they stayed true to who they were.

The only thing that I recall people ever considering uncool was the Estranged video. And that was years after the fact. These fools who bitch over that video are the same ones who prasie the Don't Cry video and the much more boring November Rain video and in all likely hood probably loved the Estranged video when it ws released.

I just don't see and never did see it durring the time how Gn'R was uncool. They just disapeared.  Gn'R songs have been played at sporting events for years. Jungle still and throughout the 90's always gets the biggest reaction of any song out there.  Gn'R never got old. They never got played out. I'm sorry but this whole Gn'R uncool thing is totally lost on me. I never experienced it I guess.

misterID

misterID wrote:

From what I remember from that time was that UYI wasn't as popular as AFD and they did change their image and sound --- Damn it, this was a HUGE fight bewteen GNR fans! Don't you remember they were being called sell outs? Their tours got a lot of flack. Articles gave them a lot of flack. Again, I remember distinctly the whole rock scene changed. And it was alt rock against the classic rock fans...... That still goes on.

I don't consider them to have ever had a bad album, so I agree with you there. But their name did/does not carry the weight that some of you think it does.  And again, I didn't get back interested in GNR until the late 90's when Axl's new band and this new album started to be talked about.

Board footer