You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: Depression...

Axlin16 wrote:
Saikin wrote:

Axlin, I don't get why you're such a fucking dick all the time.  That's my honest opinion.  I read your first post, but I don't believe in using medicine, at all.  That was my point.  And I like this idea much better (that you posted by the way, I did read it):

Like Olorin said, cognitive therapy is the absolute best and should be used in almost all cases. It's just sad that people that believe that seem to be in the minority, at least in my country they are.

I would urge anyone to do this over taking meds any day.  If someone is just taking meds to handle the problem I don't think it's going to get any better in the long run.  The meds may open new doors for you, like seeking therapy, but meds by themselves are useless.  I myself would never take them.

I don't necessarily think that depression is over diagnosed,  but that the meds are given out way too much.  A lot of doctors act like that is the answer to everything, and in truth, it isn't.

Who's being the dick? I simply provided a theory and my own opinion. You provided yours, and you called mine bullshit. That's fine, but i've haven't cocked an attitude in this entire thread.

What's with the aggression? 10

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

I've suffered from depression, telling people was the worst thing I could've done. Being told to forget things and move on isn't very helpful when the problem is you can't.

Great post. So true.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Absolutely, and the sad thing is that rarely does someone really truely care. You find out who your REAL friends are in a situation like that. Most scatter like rats, because you're no longer fun, now the reality that life sucks has smacked you in the face, and they run, because they can't take themselves out of their secure bottle for five seconds to deal with the world as it is.

Then you get doctors, not all, that just treat you as a case, and streamline the whole thing.

It's sad.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:
Saikin wrote:

Axlin, I don't get why you're such a fucking dick all the time.  That's my honest opinion.  I read your first post, but I don't believe in using medicine, at all.  That was my point.  And I like this idea much better (that you posted by the way, I did read it):

Like Olorin said, cognitive therapy is the absolute best and should be used in almost all cases. It's just sad that people that believe that seem to be in the minority, at least in my country they are.

I would urge anyone to do this over taking meds any day.  If someone is just taking meds to handle the problem I don't think it's going to get any better in the long run.  The meds may open new doors for you, like seeking therapy, but meds by themselves are useless.  I myself would never take them.

I don't necessarily think that depression is over diagnosed,  but that the meds are given out way too much.  A lot of doctors act like that is the answer to everything, and in truth, it isn't.

Who's being the dick? I simply provided a theory and my own opinion. You provided yours, and you called mine bullshit. That's fine, but i've haven't cocked an attitude in this entire thread.

What's with the aggression? 10

You come across as pretentious in a lot of your posting (no offense, honestly), and it has a tendency to rub me the wrong way when it comes to a topic such as this.  I've known many people who have been really really depressed in their lives, have turned to medicine (or drugs) to cure it, and it makes the situation worse.  On top of the depression, they then have a chemical dependency, which never makes the situation better.

I guess I really didn't like how you tried to simplify depression and make it seem like people make a bigger deal out of it than it really is.  There are those that do, but unfortunately there's not always a good way of telling if someone is doing that or not.  It's a tough situation to deal with for those looking in on that person as well.  There are those people who do it for the attention.  And then there are those who are actually asking for help.  And then you have those who keep it inside, and those people, depending on how good they deal with it, can go any number of ways, some of them good and productive, music for example, some of them destructive, such as suicide, murder, self-destruction, ruining a family etc. 

You bring up a good point about friends.  But sometimes the problem is having a friend who is always depressed and doesn't do a fucking thing to move on.  They don't actually try to get better, and try to move on with their lives.  Instead they may cling to a past event like it's some cherished possession, and it then comes to own them and greatly impact every aspect of their life.  There's a certain point when the friends get tired of the bullshit and decide that they can't give anything else.  It's like being at a party and having that one person who's constantly saying, "I don't think you should do that", "How about we go home, I'm tired" all night long. 

As for the occasional depression, you find out who the true friends in your life are.  They're the ones who stay close to you and help you see your way through it. 

And your fake friends tell you to go see a shrink or a doctor to take care of it.  They can't possibly be worried about your problems as that would mean they might see something reflected in you about themselves, and sometimes it's too painful for them to face the reality of who they are.

Fucked up world isn't it?  I've sure found out pretty quickly who my true friends were.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Good post, but my opinion would be not all of your friends or family or whoever that recommend clinical treatment are necessarily bad things. I've been there too with depression, and trying to make someone understand how I feel, and they don't hear what you're saying. They just say go to a doctor.

So I know EXACTLY what you're speaking of. I've been there.

But at the same time, i've had friends who were truely reckless and suicidal that DON'T LISTEN to sound advice from friends because "they don't get it", when in fact THEY DO get it, and are genuinely trying to help, but because the friend gets to a point they don't listen to friends & family because they are too proud, you then try to recommend clinical treatment, because you get scared that if they don't see a professional, they are going to die one way or the other.

As for my previous posts, I do come across as cocky a bit, and I think with the GN'R thing, it's got more to do with being around the block a bit with the band, and being confident in what I say more than anything. I don't mean anything about it.

About depression, what I was meaning is "you can get through this. It's not brain surgery, and it's not an unbeatable condition. You can get through this with the 'right' help". I was just trying to be positive, not downplay it's severity. Sorry for any confusion.

Alot of people with depression become hopeless with the condition, and you have to reinforce positivity. That's all I meant.

Acquiesce
 Rep: 30 

Acquiesce wrote:

I'm suffering from depression as well as anxiety. Axlin08, I do have to take issue with your statement is officially a real problem when you are thinking of hurting yourself or others. Depression can be a real problem without either of those symptoms and should be taken seriously if it lasts for extended periods of time. I've had bouts with severe depression and I've never thought about killing myself or others, but it was certainly enough of a problem to have a real negative impact on my life.

I'm also someone who is not really a fan of medication, but there are times that I wonder if it would help. I just don't like the thought of medication because I don't know anyone who has ever really seen any sort of significant improvement while on medication. It doesn't seem worth the hassle for a minimal improvement, but then maybe it would be more likely to help in conjuction with therapy?

I agree with Axlin08 that doctors are too quick to throw anti-depressants at people. Personally I don't like the idea that you can go to your general physician and get an anti-depressant prescription. To me that is like going to a proctologist when you need brain surgery. If you have a mental health issue you should be seeing a psychiatrist who will better understand your condition and needs. I think therapy is the best answer  for long term success because it can help you understand what causes your depression and how to deal with it to. Medication is more like a bandaid, at least for some people. Though I also believe a lot of therapy out there is garbage. Cognitive therapy is wonderful and has been a big help for me.

As for the friends issue, I think it's sadly because most people really don't understand depression unless they've been through it. They tell you to just get over it because they simply don't understand it's not that easy.

AtariLegend wrote:
Acquiesce wrote:

If you have a mental health issue you should be seeing a psychiatrist who will better understand your condition and needs.

If you truly have something to be upset about, this isn't going to help.

What is the result anyway?

"Get over it"
"It'll pass"

That isn't going to help. Being told the route of your depression isn't going to help either, if you genuinely have a reason to be upset.

Psychiatrist: "Well I think the reason you feel this way is because......"

Patient: "Yeah, I know that, why did you think I came?"

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I disagree...while a shrink can't fix what you have genuine reason to be upset over...they can teach you skills to deal with being that upset. They can't change life but they can help you moderate your responce to shitty things. Worked for me anyway.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Atari if a psychiatrist is telling you that, they aren't doing their job right.

A psychiatrist, or psychologist, should be helping to put the feelings in perspective, and 'moderate' (as Monk said) the problems.

You also have to consider, that if a psych says that, what context it's in. Sometimes it can be very helpful for some people to hear a licensed professional just simply agree with them, understand, and back them up. Minimalizing the problem, without ignoring the problem can be beneficial.

The problem alot of 'friends' or 'family' make is that ignore the problem with the old Get over it, or it'll pass comments that you mentioned.

It's simply a cop out to ignore the issue. Only a really really awful and incompetant psych would take that option.

Always remember this...

Everyone's problems are "real". Always and forever.

If if they are schizophrenic, and it's a total delusion, it's still just as real in their mind as it is in any of our own personal thoughts and demons.

Acquiesce
 Rep: 30 

Acquiesce wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:
Acquiesce wrote:

If you have a mental health issue you should be seeing a psychiatrist who will better understand your condition and needs.

If you truly have something to be upset about, this isn't going to help.

What is the result anyway?

"Get over it"
"It'll pass"

That isn't going to help. Being told the route of your depression isn't going to help either, if you genuinely have a reason to be upset.

Psychiatrist: "Well I think the reason you feel this way is because......"

Patient: "Yeah, I know that, why did you think I came?"

If you have a psychiatrist that just tells you to get over it then they aren't the right psychiatrist for you.

Not all psychiatrists would react that way. Everyone has something truly to be upset about. A good psychiatrist would teach you how to cope and manage what is getting you down so that it isn't affecting your life in such a negative way.

If you look into psychiatry you should look into someone who specializes in cognitive therapy. They wouldn't just tell you to get over it. They also wouldn't just point out the cause of your depression. They would teach you how to deal with your problems and give your real strategies to combat your depression instead of just sticking you on a pill.

Board footer